Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 06-08-2003, 01:10 PM   #31
MagiK

Well, I suppose they could. I also think a complete withdrawl might shock some of the less enthusiastic supporters of the US presence...nothing wakes you up faster than having your protective blankets ripped off you on a cold January morning.

Old 06-08-2003, 01:14 PM   #32
Eisenschwarz

Quote:
Originally posted by MagiK:
That land mine field is also the reason the US cannot sign the big international anti-landmine accord, since the Euro's don't want to allow it as the exception to the rule.
Who is going to remove them all if a resolution ever occurs?

Since most victims of mines in the end, are civilians (

[ 06-08-2003, 01:15 PM: Message edited by: Eisenschwarz ]

Old 06-08-2003, 01:28 PM   #33
MagiK

Quote:
Originally posted by Eisenschwarz:
quote:
That land mine field is also the reason the US cannot sign the big international anti-landmine accord, since the Euro's don't want to allow it as the exception to the rule.

Since most victims of mines in the end, are civilians [img]redface.gif[/img] (
[/QUOTE]
Well oh Eisen one...(and welcome back) since unlike so very many mine fields..this one is in a well defined easily identified area. Both sides know excatly where it starts and stops (or close enough) and Unlike some tinpot dictatorships, the US tends to keep well documented records about where they put their land mines. I think that it (the minefield) is a field of a different color. THis one by the way isn't killing anyone since the border is blocked by thousands of troops and hundreds of thousands of meters of razor wire. Not to mention the big red signs.

If the North and South Korea's ever unite they can deal with the land mines.

[ 06-08-2003, 01:30 PM: Message edited by: MagiK ]

Old 06-09-2003, 05:06 AM   #34
wellard
Dracolisk

Quote:
Originally posted by Attalus:
Nice post, Wellard. [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img] I still think that if we are going to defend SK, the best thing would be to pull out of NK's present artillery range and build defendable bases (conventionally - I really doubt that the Dear Leader is stupid enough to ris knukes on US troops as that would invite massive nuclear retaliation) and wait until athe aircraft carriers and C-17s arrive. And, yes, Azred, the Korean Conflict was ended by a cease-fire, only.
I'm by no means an expert on tatics Attalus, but I'm sure the finest brains in US have roleplayed all possible scenarios and would be happy that what they have is suffient. Is not the idea to slow down a NK invasion to allow aircraft carriers ect to arrive rather than stop it outright? [img]graemlins/1ponder.gif[/img]

fossils - natures way of laughing at creationists for over 3 billion years
Old 06-09-2003, 08:43 AM   #35
Sir Taliesin
Silver Dragon

Quote:
Originally posted by Eisenschwarz:
quote:

Since most victims of mines in the end, are civilians [img]redface.gif[/img] (
[/QUOTE]Just what civilian is going to wonder into the DMZ? Unless you are a government official or a soldier on either side, you have no business there. Very detailed maps of those fields are kept by the US and SK forces, so when this little conflict is over, they can be removed.

I tend to agree with Attalus and Majik on the withdrawal. US forces will be used as a quick reaction force, going wherever they are needed the most encase of a war. Under the old scenaro there was always a US Brigade stationed on the DMZ (roughly a third of a division and there is only ONE divioson stationed in Korea; the 2nd). They were mere speed bumps for the NK army and were written off after the first hour or so at the beginning of a war. That means, obviously, that we will lose a third of our combat strength in the first moments. Not a good thing when you think about it.

Actually, this could be a harbinger of things to come. Could it be that the Allies have information of an imminent attack by the North?
Old 06-09-2003, 09:57 AM   #36
Attalus
Symbol of Bane

Well, they certainly have been sabre-rattling to beat the band, though most commentators seem to shrug that off as posturing, trying to get more appeasement.
Old 06-09-2003, 12:25 PM   #37
quietman1920

I believe that we are dispering our forces southwards to make sure that they are not all vaporized by the first NK nuke. As to whether or not we should be there, there are nearly constant SK university demonstrations against the US; they are for welcoming their NK brothers back into a united Korea. The current admin over there has popular support because it decided to be strong on America (i.e. lets keep America at bey nationally).

Fine. Then nobody should complain when we pull those GI's out. I'm sure that when the North swoops down, it will hold all of those Uni students in its loving arms and throw flowers everywhere. I doubt there will be many re-education camps and a government based on a cult of personality can't be all that bad. Still, if we are not wanted, there is no need to dole out billions annually to support their security.
Old 06-09-2003, 12:41 PM   #38
MagiK

Quote:
Originally posted by quietman1920:
I believe that we are dispering our forces southwards to make sure that they are not all vaporized by the first NK nuke. As to whether or not we should be there, there are nearly constant SK university demonstrations against the US; they are for welcoming their NK brothers back into a united Korea. The current admin over there has popular support because it decided to be strong on America (i.e. lets keep America at bey nationally).

University students are know to be long on smarts and free time and short on wisdom [img]smile.gif[/img] The SK Government wants the US there. All they have to do is say leave and the US packs up and goes home...just like in the Philipines.

Fine. Then nobody should complain when we pull those GI's out. I'm sure that when the North swoops down, it will hold all of those Uni students in its loving arms and throw flowers everywhere. I doubt there will be many re-education camps and a government based on a cult of personality can't be all that bad. Still, if we are not wanted, there is no need to dole out billions annually to support their security.

Gotta agree, if you don't want us, you should not get our $$$ either.