Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 03-04-2001, 01:03 PM   #11
Hesperex

I have to say that I am never realy confused with spells, But I have been playing for a long time. At first I used to get confused but not anymore. I do like the idea about right clicking on the spell icon to see a description. Could be very beneficial. And far less hassle that routing through the spell book. I do need to look at spell descriptions from time to time, although Im might know what the spell does I can't always remember amouts of damage or other small details which u need to know sometimes.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Hesperex (edited 03-04-2001).]

Old 03-04-2001, 05:44 PM   #12
Epona
Zartan

Quote:
Originally posted by Accord:
You'll get used to the symbols and icons after you've played for a while ... although I am still confuse by remove magic and dispel magic....hmmmmmm

Accord, I've been playing most days since September and I can't remember all of them, how long will it take?

------------------

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.
Old 03-04-2001, 05:53 PM   #13
Accord
Ninja Storm Shadow

Too long!!
I've started to play as soon as it came out, and I must admit I've spent waaaaay too much time with the game during the first 3 months.

But generally, depending on you style of game play you only use about 10 spells frequently during the course of the game, so that should help out our short-term memory.

Speaking of problems....now I am getting the spells mixed up between IWD and BG2, for those of you who don't know.....Abi-Dalzim Horrid Wilting is an excellent spell in BG2 (it won't damage party members or anything in "green"), but in IWD/HoW it DOES!!!! Argh! I learned it the hard way.

------------------
Long live H22A1!!!!!
Old 03-05-2001, 04:58 AM   #14
Ramon de Ramon y Ramon
Red Dragon

Quote:
Originally posted by Sir Markus:
This is a minor, minor thing IMHO, BG2 is a great game, but I wish that you could right click the spells memorized at the bottom of the screen to go directly to the spell info page. The way it is now, to get to individual spell pages for info as to what they do, one has to look at the icon and get the spell name and then physically enter the spell book and right click there instead. It would just be easier if you could just right click the icon from the game screen. This has been a complaint with all the Infinity games, maybe they just can't do it for some reason, but that would be something for them to add in future Infinity Engine games.

You are so right, Sir Marcus, I have wondered frequently why they did not think of providing that feature , would be really helpful. Btw, if I am not mistaken the upcoming expansion will be the last Infinity Engine game.

Epona, you don't have to look up spell description in the manual, though. Right-clicking them in the spellbook will do the job, too - well you probably already knew that. I found the in-game descriptions to be more accurate and up-to-date than the ones in my sloppily translated German manual (after installing the US patch my in-game written information is in English - much better for this board as well. Once I did a post involving umber hulks. Boy, did I have a hard time finding the correct translation for "Erdkoloss". For some reason, most dictionaries just don't get the job done with CRPG vocabulary ).

On good spells: since Armisael has left us, I have taken over his lucrative promotion contract with the scroll manufacturers, so I have to mention it: Emotion - very good spell against larger groups of lower to middle level opposition. Another one I find highly underrated is Greater Malison - cast at the very beginning of combat it will greatly enhance the effectiveness of most offensive spells you cast afterwards. Vampiric Touch is especially great for fighter/mages and thief/mages.

------------------
So long !