Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2 Also SoU & HotU Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 07-09-2002, 02:31 PM   #1
flibulzbuth
Drow Warrior

Ay caramba!
So much possibilities for characters! That is VERY cool for online gaming. My first char, lady Flibul's Beth is an halfling thief/cleric (animal+travel). I went for a female because no male portrait could fit this race-class combo with style.

Anyway, here are my questions:

- small races and weapons: i just bought a rapier and i have to hold it two-handed (for 1D6 damage... grrrr...). What's the rule behind this? would it be the same for any medium-size weapon?

- can a monk go multiclass? I'm thinking about trying a gnome monk-illusionist. [img]smile.gif[/img]

- So far, i've been through the city core and peninsula with no lag, except during conversation (the choice of replys take some time to appear). Are there bigger, laggier zones, or is this pretty much the max?

-Anybody here thinking about hosting a game? I would, but my comp can't handle it. My modules will have to be single-players.

EDIT:

One last: does the cleric suffer the same malus as mages and bards from armor and shields?

[ 07-09-2002, 02:50 PM: Message edited by: flibulzbuth ]
Old 07-09-2002, 02:57 PM   #2
Greadius
The Magister

Quote:
Originally posted by flibulzbuth:
small races and weapons: i just bought a rapier and i have to hold it two-handed (for 1D6 damage... grrrr...). What's the rule behind this? would it be the same for any medium-size weapon?
Small creatures wield medium weapons as large weapons and small weapons as medium, ect.
To balance this out, you get +1 to hit and +1 to your AC, along with several other small race (halfling) benefits. You'll never be able to out-damage a medium counterpart (identical, that is), but you'll have other advantages. Its not a major drawback.

Quote:
Originally posted by flibulzbuth:
can a monk go multiclass? I'm thinking about trying a gnome monk-illusionist.
Yes! Go for it. I have a Monk/Wizard I'm quite fond of.
It'd be more interesting if he were a gnome. Gnomes are my second favorite race
Greadius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2002, 06:40 PM   #3
AndyG
Elminster

Be aware that small sized monks do unarmed damage of one die lower than medium sized monks. For example, max damage for a medium sized monk is 1-20, for small monks it's 1-12. Small races are halflings and gnomes, but not dwarves.

I've noticed very little lag anywhere in the game. Like you said, some conversations are slow to pop up the replies. A few areas, like near portals with lots of spell effects, or when you enter a zone with a few dozen monsters, can be a little laggy, but it's never bad.
AndyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2002, 08:06 PM   #4
theifprowess
Drizzt Do'Urden

you know i am confused with this style of multiplaying. in BG2 you couldnt multi the monk cause it went against what the monk stood for. now if you multi class a monk with a mage does he become able to carry a staff now?whats the dillio with that? and if he does weild a weapon can he transfer the +abilities to his weapon?
theifprowess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2002, 09:36 PM   #5
masteraleph
Elminster

The deal is that WOTC went in and messed up D&D/AD&D with 3rd edition, on which NWN is based (BG2 is based on 2nd edition rules).

No, not really, there are just some rules i don't agree with ...like the multi-ing. But there are other great things (like the feats)
masteraleph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2002, 12:55 AM   #6
Kakero
40th Level Warrior

why do you need to multiclass monk in bg2? they are already gods!
Kakero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2002, 04:24 AM   #7
Warhammer
Baaz Draconian

- small races and weapons: i just bought a rapier and i have to hold it two-handed (for 1D6 damage... grrrr...). What's the rule behind this? would it be the same for any medium-size weapon?

Small races cannot wield large weapons and wield medium weapons as two hand weapons

- can a monk go multiclass? I'm thinking about trying a gnome monk-illusionist. [img]smile.gif[/img]

According to the 3rd edition rules (from the D&D player handbook not the nwn manual) a monk can multiclass but once a monk levels up in any other class he cannot gain levels in the monk class ever again. Same apply to paladins. Apparently this does not apply to nwn (?)

One last: does the cleric suffer the same malus as mages and bards from armor and shields?

No, no malus whatsoever.

[ 07-10-2002, 04:25 AM: Message edited by: Warhammer ]
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2002, 08:56 AM   #8
AndyG
Elminster

Monks can wield staves already, so becoming a mage doesn't add that ability. I think monks have the ability to wield all the weapons that mages can, except maybe darts. Now if you switched you monk to fighter, and then back, that would add the ability to wield all the fighter weapons, plus wear heavy armor. However, monks can also gain these abilities by taking the appropriate feats. Note that monks in heavy armor loose a lot of their special bonuses.

I wouldn't want to multi a monk. At level 20, monks get major damage resistance, plus immunity to mind spells. If you multi, you'll never get to level 20.
AndyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2002, 04:08 PM   #9
Greadius
The Magister

Quote:
Originally posted by Warhammer:
Apparently this does not apply to nwn (?)
Right... no multiclassing limitations except alignment.

Personally, I think that type of editing of 3rd edition rules is mildly unbalancing (like allowing sorcerers to 'forget' spells). In a normal Forgotten Realms games it is possible for Paladins and Monks to multiclass into specific classes provided they worship the right God and belong to the right order of monks. Adding that kind of detail was too much for NWN so they just let it go.
Greadius is offline   Reply With Quote