Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Baldurs Gate & Tales of the Sword Coast
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-06-2002, 12:12 PM   #1
Arduin
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I have the original BG from its release and my mate has the "new" set with BG and Tales of the Sword Coast.
He doesnt have Tales installed and we both have v1.1.4315

When I enter his IP(or he enters mine) and press Done it just freezes. Nothing happens and you can tap out and Ctrl+Alt+Del and close it
Old 01-06-2002, 12:38 PM   #2
Lemernis
Drizzt Do'Urden

You have to have the same versions of everything. This means you need to get ToSC (it's only $10 in the U.S.) Try both of you using the following protocol:

ToSC v.5512

ToSC patch
http://www.interplay.com/support/bgtales/patch.html

directx8.0a
http://www.microsoft.com/directx/homeuser/downloads

(Note: I have no idea if there are any compatibility problems between dx8.1 and BG. dx8.1 was released only recently, well after the BG series, so it is possible. What I can say is that BG is stable with v.8.0a. But on the other hand, for all I know BG might actually run better with v.8.1.)

directx8 patch
http://www.interplay.com/support/bgtales/patch.html

no Roger Wilco
no firewall (either configure ports as indicated or temporarily bring down)
You can MP with the unofficial mod Dark Side of the Sword Coast (www.dsotsc.com) but everyone in the game needs to have it.
Old 01-06-2002, 01:55 PM   #3
Arduin
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Thanks for the fast reply.
Ill try to get a hold of ToSC.
I just have this idea of getting all Black Isle releases in original box [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 01-07-2002, 04:01 PM   #4
Arduin
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Eugh...
Alright, we both got ToSC now and same version.

It doesnt freeze up anymore, which is good. Now we just get "cannot connect to session" both ways.

Please help
Old 01-07-2002, 05:00 PM   #5
Lavindathar
Harper

Mine always never connects also, and we had the same version.

Mine never connects. Grrrr.
Old 01-08-2002, 09:49 AM   #6
Micah Foehammer
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Sometimes mplayer connections can be tricky if you are trying to go thru firewalls.

But other than that - make sure you both have the same game settings - particularly AI pathfinding and frame rate. For that matter try to configure the two versions of the game EXACTLY the same, difficulty, graphic options, etc. - although my understanding is that only the AI pathfinding / frame rate REALLY matter.

Also make sure that the host player has his mplayer options set to accept new players.

And if you have the game session named and passworded, make sure the names are exact matches (case sensitive).

That's about all I can think of ....

BTW, if you are trying to mplayer between computers in the same house (you did mention your mate) you should be able to do a direct network connection between the two machines using the LAN option (i think) ... but somebody else will have to help you on that one. [img]smile.gif[/img]

good luck

http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3793&dateline=1187636  783
Micah Foehammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2002, 03:11 PM   #7
Arduin
Elite Waterdeep Guard

My mate lives in Wales where as I live in Denmark [img]smile.gif[/img]

Direct network connection? I think not

We'll try configuring settings totally identical when he gets on...
Old 01-08-2002, 03:21 PM   #8
Micah Foehammer
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

ROTFL ... i guess under THOSE circumstances a direct connection WOULD be an EXTREME solution!

It could just be that overseas links are killing you! The connection (or attempt to connect) may be failing because the number of hops between your two machines is excessive and causing time-outs between hops.

Try using a diagnostic tool like PINGTRACE to check the number of server "hops" between you and a major internet backbone and your mate.

I've had mixed results with overseas connections. The US to anywhere in Asia is hopeless for me, but from here to Brazil worked smooth as glass. [img]smile.gif[/img]

http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3793&dateline=1187636  783
Micah Foehammer is offline   Reply With Quote