Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 09-13-2004, 04:00 AM   #1
Moon-Child_Lman
Drow Warrior

Is there something i need to know, before soloing a ranger(maybe)? Or what character is best for soloing?
Old 09-13-2004, 04:50 AM   #2
LennonCook
Jack Burton

You should generally have a fairly good knowledge of the game. It's possible to solo first time through (I've known at least one person who's done it), but it isn't usually recommended. Especially not if you plan to use any mods which make the game harder, if you plan to play no-reloads, or if you are going to be playing on any difficulty above Core Rules.
As for the best character for soloing, all of them can do it. Almost all classes HAVE been soloed through the game atleast once by members of this forum. A sorcerer is both the best and the worst class for soloing, generally. They're good if you have an excellent working knowledge of the spell system (because not all spells are worth even mentioning), and if you can enjoy not being able to loose (which many people can't). Other than that, you should be able to get through the full game just fine, if you don't get bored part way through.
LennonCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2004, 06:41 AM   #3
shadowhound
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Yeah: Dont do drugs, never talk to strange Orcs at night and never put alfoil in the microwave.
Old 09-13-2004, 06:53 AM   #4
Moon-Child_Lman
Drow Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by shadowhound:
Yeah: Dont do drugs, never talk to strange Orcs at night and never put alfoil in the microwave.
[img]graemlins/lol.gif[/img] Well i already have like 4 characters at high levels, but i plan on playing with a new ranger character (at lvl 7), without Tactics mod and at easy level . When i`m done doing that maybe i`ll install Tactics mod and maybe play at Core rules...
Old 09-13-2004, 08:18 AM   #5
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

Signs You May Not Be Ready For Soloing:
---- ---- ---- ---- ---- ---- ---- ----

1) You are soloing a non-Thief character, but have not memorise all the traps' locations.

2) You do not know how to prevent Imprisonment.

.. a) In fact, any of the following applies. Charm, Confusion, Petrification, Disintegration, Stun, Hold, Web, Feeblemind, Maze and Panic. I may have missed out some.

3) You do not know where to get the Boots of Speed.

4) You are not familiar with the non-healing potions.

5) You never heard of the Protection from Magic scroll before.

6) You try to hit a Rakshasas with Magic Missile.

7) You keep thinking to yourself, "This would have been so much easier if I had a party."

8) You keep trying to whack a Clay Golem with a Longsword.

9) You have no idea what a Sand Golem is.

10) Your sole game tactic is to keep whacking the enemy with Celetial Fury.

~~~~

There're many more, but I'll stop here.
Dundee Slaytern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2004, 09:00 AM   #6
Moon-Child_Lman
Drow Warrior

I'm no n00b Dundee, but thanks. The only thing i don't know is what a Sand Golem is (sand?).
Old 09-13-2004, 11:16 AM   #7
Cerek
Registered Member
Iron Throne Cult

Quote:
Originally posted by Dundee Slaytern:
10) Your sole game tactic is to keep whacking the enemy with Celetial Fury.
ABSOLUTELY!!! If you don't know enough to equip Sanchu in your off-hand, then you definitely aren't ready to go it alone. LOLOL!!! (sorry, I just couldn't resist) [img]graemlins/laugh3.gif[/img]

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

But why stop at 10, Dundee? I think your list (and additions from other members) would make a GREAT thread. [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]
Old 09-14-2004, 12:55 AM   #8
Moon-Child_Lman
Drow Warrior

Sanchu??? What's that? I just simply can't remember. And how do you prevent Imprisonment, besides casting spells and being a barbarian (and going in to rage)?
Old 09-14-2004, 05:33 AM   #9
Armen
Symbol of Cyric

if you're soloing a ranger then do your stronghold quests as soon as possible - you'll find the end result very useful
Armen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2004, 05:42 AM   #10
LennonCook
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by Moon-Child_Lman:
Sanchu??? What's that? I just simply can't remember. And how do you prevent Imprisonment, besides casting spells and being a barbarian (and going in to rage)?
Sanchu is a sword from a mod. Don't worry, it's not a good blade. [img]smile.gif[/img] (noone say ANYTHING [img]tongue.gif[/img] )
Easiest way to prevent imprisonment: kill the other guy before he can imprison you. Also, I think some potions can do it, but I can't remember - been too long since I played...
LennonCook is offline   Reply With Quote