Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 09-15-2003, 12:47 PM   #11
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
Letter

Well, if they're gonna ban Vice city and GTA, they might just as well ban Morrowind and Baldurs Gate and every other game outthere. I'm not sure but i think i killed thousands of people in those games. One thing though.... when i'm done playing, i don't go outside to practice shooting or swordwielding on real humans, like this obviously retarded little prick.
Old 09-15-2003, 12:54 PM   #12
RoSs_bg2_rox
Zartan

I have the game and i think it is quite good. It is a fun game and it isnt meant to be serious. I think the guys have a big problem. They are old enough to know that it is illegal and they well get treated accordingly for doing something stupid like that. They shouldnt blame it on the game because it isnt the games fault. If the GTA team do get sued il will personally be very surprised.
Old 09-15-2003, 07:02 PM   #13
True_Moose
Gold Dragon

Arrow

Uh oh - I'm 16, and have played Grand Theft Auto. I can feel the urges coming over me as I feel the need to take a gun to the streets.

Start parenting, don't let your kids have guns. Blaming it on the gaming industry is useless, short-sighted, and stupid. Give these idiots a good long time in prison. They'll probably still be violent and stupid when they get out: even after years of no GTA.
Old 09-15-2003, 07:36 PM   #14
Animal
Gold Dragon

Once again, another example of passing the buck.

I've never played GTA and don't want to it. It doesn't appeal to me, but to each their own. I find it difficult to understand just how the makers could be found guilty? Why not go after the store who sold the game to the kids in the first place, heck just go for the makers of his PC, or better yet the power company for supplying these kids the electricity to play the game.

I can't f***in believe that this lawyer actually has the cojones to try and blame someone else.

A 14 year old and a 16 year old know better than to start firing a rifle into freeway traffic. The buck stops there.
Old 10-24-2003, 11:52 AM   #15
Nachtrafe
Red Wizard of Thay

Quote:
Originally posted by Animal:
Once again, another example of passing the buck.

I've never played GTA and don't want to it. It doesn't appeal to me, but to each their own. I find it difficult to understand just how the makers could be found guilty? Why not go after the store who sold the game to the kids in the first place, heck just go for the makers of his PC, or better yet the power company for supplying these kids the electricity to play the game.

I can't f***in believe that this lawyer actually has the cojones to try and blame someone else.

A 14 year old and a 16 year old know better than to start firing a rifle into freeway traffic. The buck stops there.
Dont forget the gun manufacturer, the bullet manufacturer, and that silly bastard who invinted gunpowder...yeah...sue the Chinese, it's THEIR fault!!

FEH! I agree 1000% Animal(OMG, did I just say that outloud? ). The buck stops at those kids, and lands squarely at the feet of their parents. First...if they were responsible parents they would have locked up their guns(I'm assuming, since it was a rifle, that the gun belonged to their parents). Second, if they had taught the kids the simple difference between right and wrong...SHEESH!

IMnshO those kids should get life right alongside their parents. Just because they didn't actually pull the trigger doesn't make them any less guilty.

"May the wings of liberty never lose a feather!"
Old 10-24-2003, 02:11 PM   #16
Sir Taliesin
Silver Dragon

Well, considering what they did, they got off real light in my opinion. It's my understanding that they pled guilty and were sentenced as juveniles. They will be out after their 19th birthday.

William Buckner, 16, and Joshua Buckner, who will turn 14 on Sunday, pleaded guilty to reckless homicide, reckless endangerment and aggravated assault. Under state law, they can only be held as juveniles until they are 19.

Juvenile Court Judge Ben Strand said he considered granting the boys probation, but said, "I just can't bring myself to do that, because it was a grievous act."

The boys told investigators they got the .22-caliber rifles from a locked room in their home a week before the June 25 shootings. They said they were bored and decided to shoot at tractor-trailer rigs, just like in the video game Grand Theft Auto.

Source: http://www.gomemphis.com/mca/midsout...218294,00.html

I also read that the Buckner Family is planning to sue Sony as well.

[ 10-24-2003, 02:19 PM: Message edited by: Sir Taliesin ]
Old 10-24-2003, 02:29 PM   #17
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

The defense lawyer has to try to find some way to defend his client. That lets him off the hook, on at least a couple of levels.

I'm sure our resident legal expert will have an opinion (which he may keep to himself), but I'd love to compare the arguments:

Violence in a game makes violence in reality okay.

Who raises the child: parents or a video game?
Who procured the rifle?
Was it secured properly? If not, why not?
Who decided it was okay to shoot at other things?
Did anyone realize people were going to be in those other things?

Bottom line to me is two questions to the parents:

1. Who was responsible for raising your child to respect the power of a gun?
2. Who was responsbile for teaching your child right from wrong?

In both cases, the mirror holds the answer. Makes me think that at some point, even though I don't own a gun, I will need to make sure my children get at least as familiar with (and respectful of) them as I am. An object lesson of some sort (here's what a bullet does to a toy...) will hopefully be a good reminder for years to come.
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Old 10-25-2003, 10:44 AM   #18
cloud ff7 38
User suspended until [Nov26]

You cant blame everything on parents because kids have their own mind too. If a kid cant distinguish right from wrong maybe hes just stupid by nature.