Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 10-30-2001, 09:02 AM   #1
J.J.
Symbol of Cyric

THE CANADIANS ARE FINALLY GOING TO HELP AMERICA WITH THE WAR ON TERRORISM. THEY HAVE PLEDGED 2 OF THEIR BIGGEST BATTLE SHIPS, 600 GROUND TROOPS AND 6 FIGHTER JETS.

AFTER THE AMERICAN EXCHANGE RATE WE ENDED UP WITH 2 MOUNTIES,
1 CANOE AND A FLYING SQUIRREL.

(I just checked the exchange rate and it is .65 on the dollar)
look out, we're loaded for bear now!...

------------------
Amanda's Dad-Best Damn Job, Period.

Official Pin-Up Girl Massager of the O.L.D. C.O.O.T.S. Clan
To Err is Human To Forgive Divine, However Neither is U.S. Marine Corps Policy.
J.J. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2001, 09:34 AM   #2
Ryanamur
Fzoul Chembryl

LOL,

BTW, Canada announced it's comitment over 3 weeks ago (oct 7th to be exact).I don't know about the CF-18's though. Last I heard, they're in such pityfull shape that they are not even NATO certified anymore... we still fly A and B models).

As far as I know, we sent 6 ships(2 destroyers, 3 frigates and a supply ship), 3 Herc, 2 Auroras (P-3), 6 Sea King, 1 Airbus-310 and 600 men (including a 150 counter-terrorist squad).

All in all, it's about 2800 men! Not much but that still puts us in third place for commitment!
Nothing new I guess.

------------------
I'm the Wanderer without a clan... I bring justice without favorism. Though you may not agree with it, my judgement is final... and inconsequential

[This message has been edited by Ryanamur (edited 10-30-2001).]
Ryanamur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2001, 11:14 AM   #3
Ronn_Bman
Zartan

*Ronn begins to sing, "Oh Canada"*

Any and All help is greatly appreciated!

Nations lending ANY form of support is wonderful, but troops are really the greatest show of commitment.

------------------

"Your right to swing your fist ends where my nose begins."

[This message has been edited by Ronn_Bman (edited 10-30-2001).]
Ronn_Bman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2001, 11:29 AM   #4
Ryanamur
Fzoul Chembryl

Quote:
Originally posted by Ronn_Bman:
*Ronn begins to sing, "Oh Canada"*

Any and All help is greatly appreciated!

Nations lending ANY form of support is wonderful, but troops are really the greatest show of commitment.

Well, if you make the count, we're sending about 3,000 people out of a total force of 50,000 (yep, to defend our whole country... pathethic ). That's 6% of our personnel. If you count the fact that we are sending 1/3 of our Navy, I guess it's a major commitment for us!

------------------
I'm the Wanderer without a clan... I bring justice without favorism. Though you may not agree with it, my judgement is final... and inconsequential
Old 10-30-2001, 12:05 PM   #5
Hiram Sedai
Emerald Dragon

Well, here is a bit of American egocentricity on my part, but I cannot imagine that the U.S. actually needs help militarily. I understand how we could use bases near Afghanistan and the permission to fly over certain countries. But, I'm pretty sure that our Armed Forces are up to the task at hand.

However, I do appreciate both the help offered and give by our allies. I'm just wondering if it's overkill.

------------------
"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
-Robert McCloskey

• Token lackwit of HADB
  • Sycophant to the Wolf of Azure Hue
  • Long lost brother of DragonMage
  • Bearer of a work of art created by Sazerac
  • Jeg burde blive gennembanket for min flatulens.[/list]
Hiram Sedai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2001, 01:26 PM   #6
skywalker
Banned User

Quote:
Originally posted by Hiram Sedai:
Well, here is a bit of American egocentricity on my part, but I cannot imagine that the U.S. actually needs help militarily. I understand how we could use bases near Afghanistan and the permission to fly over certain countries. But, I'm pretty sure that our Armed Forces are up to the task at hand.

However, I do appreciate both the help offered and give by our allies. I'm just wondering if it's overkill.

I would think the coalition is more about having all World Powers united against terrorism.

The flipside of the coin (and I'm not saying it's MY view) is that, it would be easier if the USA could do it alone, logistics wise, and the fact that Rumsfeld can't yell at the Allies like he yells at our team when info is leaked.
Also you tend to look a lot less like a bully (there's that word again) when other nations stand with you!

------------------
Still The Most Humbly Prideful (?) Member Of The Illuminati!

Mark
skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2001, 01:51 PM   #7
Ronn_Bman
Zartan

While we may not actually need international troops, it gives us legitimacy in the world's "eyes". In many ways, it would be simpler for the US if we could just do it alone, but we have to deal with world opinion and "that" is a battle we can't win without allies.

Also, if you do need assistance, it's better to have allies in place, then to have to call for them.

------------------

Old 10-30-2001, 04:34 PM   #8
Prime2U
Zhentarim Guard

Quote:
Originally posted by Ryanamur:
Well, if you make the count, we're sending about 3,000 people out of a total force of 50,000 (yep, to defend our whole country... pathethic ). That's 6% of our personnel. If you count the fact that we are sending 1/3 of our Navy, I guess it's a major commitment for us!

I really believe that even if it didn't help our interests a bit, the US would seriously kick the butt of anyone who tried to attack Canada. I think Canada knows this so they can be comfortable with just 50,000 troops. That's enough to help the US in military actions hehe.

------------------

"Life is what happens while you are busy making other plans." - Lennon
Prime2U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2001, 04:46 PM   #9
Ryanamur
Fzoul Chembryl

Quote:
Originally posted by Prime2U:

I really believe that even if it didn't help our interests a bit, the US would seriously kick the butt of anyone who tried to attack Canada. I think Canada knows this so they can be comfortable with just 50,000 troops. That's enough to help the US in military actions hehe.

No, not quite. Canada doesn't have a strong military because historically, they have always performed quite well in wars without having a strong military. They've always relied on militia and it worked great. Plus, the only treath to Canada in the mind of Canadians would come from the South... which I don't think is about to happen ... but regardless, there's no way that a strong Canadian Forces would be able to stop a commited US military action against our country... so why bother

------------------
Old 10-30-2001, 04:53 PM   #10
Ronn_Bman
Zartan

Quote:
Originally posted by Prime2U:

I know that was a little "tongue in cheek", but absolutely true as to defending our neighbors, or any allies for that matter.

In reality, American forces are not that large considering population, country size, global commitments, and areas of influence. The Soviets always had the thing about having a huge "standing" army, while we went the route of technology and a small, highly trained, career oriented military. I imagine this was done, in part, because American's have never liked the idea of a huge military. I guess "huge" can be a relative term

It's amazing how quickly the, then huge, US military was packed up and sent home to be civilians immediately after World War II.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Ronn_Bman (edited 10-30-2001).]