Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 06-10-2007, 07:50 PM   #1
Hivetyrant
Jack Burton

Cool!!

Quote:
A team of Canadian surgeons got a shock when the patient they were operating on began shedding dark greenish-black blood, the Lancet reports.

The man emulated Star Trek's Mr Spock - the Enterprise's science officer who supposedly had green Vulcan blood.

In this case, the unusual colour of the 42-year-old's blood was down to the migraine medication he was taking.

The man's leg surgery went ahead successfully and his blood returned to normal once he had eased off the drug.

Dark green

The patient had been taking large doses of sumatriptan - 200 milligrams a day.

This had caused a rare condition called sulfhaemoglobinaemia, where sulphur is incorporated into the oxygen-carrying compound haemoglobin in red blood cells.

Describing the case in the Lancet, the doctors, led by Dr Alana Flexman from St Paul's Hospital, Vancouver, wrote: "The patient recovered uneventfully, and stopped taking sumatriptan after discharge.

"When seen five weeks after his last dose, he was found to have no sulfhaemoglobin in his blood."

The man had needed urgent surgery because he had developed a dangerous condition in his legs after falling asleep in a sitting position.

The surgeons performed urgent fasciotomies - limb-saving procedures which involve making surgical incisions to relieve pressure and swelling caused by the man's condition, known as compartment syndrome.

In compartment syndrome, the swelling and pressure in a restricted space limits blood flow and causes localised tissue and nerve damage.

It is commonly caused by trauma, internal bleeding or a wound dressing or cast being too tight.

According to the science fantasy television series Star Trek, Mr Spock had green blood because the oxygen-carrying agent in Vulcan blood includes copper, rather than iron, as is the case in humans.

Mr Spock had a human mother, and Vulcan father, from whom he inherited his inability to make sense of human emotion, as well as his green blood.
Hivetyrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 08:34 PM   #2
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
That's perfectly normal, Daedra bleed green all the time.
Old 06-11-2007, 09:04 AM   #3
Earthdog
Emerald Dragon

I had a problem like that once. My cholesterol was so high when it was spun for a blood test it turned green according to the pathology colectors.

The pathologists had never seen that in all of their combined years in the job (over 35 years between the two of them.)

My cholesterol was about 1600 points above the point where I should have had a heart attack and died.........
Old 06-12-2007, 10:02 AM   #4
Klorox
Symbol of Cyric

As a guy who sees blood every working day, I'd love to see green blood shoot out of somebody.

It really would make my day!

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."-- Edmund Burke
Klorox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 05:08 PM   #5
Mellagar

Quote:
Originally posted by Klorox:
As a guy who sees blood every working day, I'd love to see green blood shoot out of somebody.

It really would make my day!
Remind me never to go to your hospital...
Mellagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 08:33 AM   #6
Klorox
Symbol of Cyric

Why not? I've never seen green blood. [img]smile.gif[/img]

You wouldn't be seeing me unless you're a terrible dieter, a smoker, a diabetic, or a gun-shot victim anyway.

Okay, I hope you never come here either.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."-- Edmund Burke
Klorox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 09:17 AM   #7
Kakero
40th Level Warrior

My blood is purple, I'm a royalty.
Kakero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 11:49 AM   #8
Mellagar

*Stabs self*

Okay....my blood is.....ummm....where's the blood?
Mellagar is offline   Reply With Quote