Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 08-10-2006, 02:55 AM   #1
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Jeez, and I'm supposed to be flying to London from Boston this Friday. But for a coincidence of dates, I could've been on one of these planes.

Quote:
British police say foil plot to bomb aircraft
By Adrian Croft 8 minutes ago

LONDON (Reuters) - British police said on Thursday they have thwarted a plot to blow up aircraft in mid-flight between Britain and the United States, arresting a number of people in the London area.

Britain's security service MI5 raised the threat level to the country to "critical" from "severe," meaning an attack is expected imminently.

News of the arrests and heightened security threat came amid high international tension over Israel's war against Hizbollah in Lebanon.

Police said the aim of the plot was to detonate bombs smuggled on board aircraft in hand luggage.

"A major terrorist plot to allegedly blow up aircraft in mid-flight has been disrupted in a joint, pre-planned, intelligence-led operation by the Metropolitan Police anti-terrorist branch and security services," a London police spokesman said.

He said police believed the intention was particularly to target flights from Britain to the United States.

The BBC said about 18 people were arrested.

The police spokesman could not confirm the figure, saying only that an unspecified number of people had been detained in London during the night. The operation was the culmination of a major covert counter-terrorist operation lasting several months, he added.

Following the arrests, security at all British airports was increased and additional security measures put in place for all flights.

Tony Blair has come under strong criticism at home and abroad for following the U.S. lead and refusing to call for an immediate ceasefire in the conflict between Israel and Lebanese Hizbollah guerrillas.

The security alert comes 13 months after four Islamist suicide bombers killed 52 people on London's transport network on July 7 last year.

The Home Office Web Site showed the threat rating had been raised to "critical" from "severe" earlier on Thursday. Britain has a five level rating for security threats, ranging from low to critical, which is the highest level.
Click here

Apparently UK airports have been told not to accept ANY hand luggage - no laptops, no MP3 players, no books, no contact lens solutions, nothing at all, unless you can put it in a CLEAR plastic bag. That'll be really convenient, particularly for people travelling on business. Who's going to want to check in their millions of dollars worth of contracts or deals? Unless there's no choice, which looks like this is.

Also, apparently I should expect 4+ hour delays, and possible flight cancellations.

Memnoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 03:15 AM   #2
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

I checked the BAA website to see what's allowed in cabin:

Quote:
Alert at UK Airports Media Statement
10 August 2006

Following this mornings police action, the Department for Transport have asked all UK airports to apply additional security measures designed to ensure passenger safety. These measures will prevent passengers from carrying hand luggage into the cabin of an aircraft with the following excepts (which must be placed in a plastic bag):

 pocket size wallets and pocket size purses plus contents (for example money, credit cards, identity cards etc (not handbags))
 travel documents essential for the journey (for example passports and travel tickets)
 prescription medicines and medical items sufficient and essential for the flight (e.g. diabetic kit), except in liquid form unless verified as authentic
 spectacles and sunglasses, without cases
 contact lens holders, without bottles of solution
 for those travelling with an infant: baby food, milk (the contents of each bottle must be tasted by the accompanying passenger)
 sanitary items sufficient and essential for the flight (nappies, wipes, creams and nappy disposal bags)
 female sanitary items sufficient and essential for the flight, if unboxed (eg tampons, pads, towels and wipes) tissues (unboxed) and/or handkerchiefs
 keys (but no electrical key fobs)

All passengers must be hand searched, and their footwear and all the items they are carrying must be x-ray screened.

Pushchairs and walking aids must be x-ray screened, and only airport-provided wheelchairs may pass through the screening point.

In addition to the above, all passengers boarding flights to the USA and all the items they are carrying, including those acquired after the central screening point, must be subjected to secondary search at the boarding gate. Any liquids discovered must be removed from the passenger.

BAA wish to stress that these are precautionary measures. During the next few days airports will be extremely busy, therefore only those intending to fly should come to the airport. Passengers are also asked to use public transport to get to and from the airport wherever possible.

Passengers are asked to be patient while these additional security measures are put in place. Delays are likely and passengers are therefore asked to allow extra time for their journey.
No liquids basically. Geez, I hope the baby milk and whatnot tastes good for those who have to taste it.

Old 08-10-2006, 03:19 AM   #3
Iron Greasel
Fzoul Chembryl

What's the point of blowing up a plane in the middle of the Atlantic? No one will see it.
Old 08-10-2006, 03:56 AM   #4
Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster

Bow to the Meow

God... that is scary man. Thank god they stopped these loser evil pricks. GRRR.

The point of crashing them in the middle of the ocean is that no one will be around to save anyone or by the time they get there, most of the plane will be gone--or may not even find the plane.

These losers... if they put their minds to something GOOD and positive in their own community, they wouldn't be poor 3rd world countries. But no, they want to kill in the name of their "God". freaking crazy.

Be safe Mario! If you or anyone in here is gonna be on a plane, keep your eyes open!

The Great Escape Studios - 2D/3D Modeling
www.tgeweb.com & Ziroc's Facebook Page
Visit My Flickr Photo Album
Ziroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 04:34 AM   #5
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Apparently they were targetting around 20 planes with some kind of liquid explosive device to create great loss of life. No liquids allowed in the cabin at ALL now, including on all US commercial flights, according to Michael Chertoff.

Not sure if I should delay my flight now - not because I'm scared of these bastards, but because the chaos at Heathrow, Gatwick, etc now and to the major US airports that service the UK - apparently they're talking about 4+ hour delays. Plus I'll have to pack my laptop, my contact lens solutions, my cellphone, my MP3 player, my books, my car keys, all that stuff. What a major pain. But I suppose security is paramount.

Richard Quest from CNN, who's been covering aviation for many years, suggested that this was the closest thing to a systemic breakdown of the entire airport system that he'd ever seen. No hand luggage is a huge event.

Old 08-10-2006, 05:42 AM   #6
Davros
Takhisis Follower

Hey Memsie - I hope you are going to drink our ole pal Donut under the table for us while you are over there in London

[ 08-10-2006, 05:42 AM: Message edited by: Davros ]
Old 08-10-2006, 05:47 AM   #7
shamrock_uk
Dracolich

Blimey, I saw notices about this on the tube this morning but hadn't heard about all the arrests.

They're talking to "community leaders" apparently which no doubt means that they're all Muslims.

Apparently the 'principal' figures were all British-born which suggests that this may be similar to the London bombings - 2nd generation Muslims perhaps.

Mems, apparently there was no actual plot disrupted today, this is all just a precaution in case they haven't got everyone and an attack is launched in light of the arrests. As for disruption, you'll probably be ok coming into the country, if only because there isn't enough room to keep you all herded up behind customs. I suspect the delays are for everyone waiting to leave.

How long will you be in London for?
shamrock_uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 09:23 AM   #8
Jorath Calar
Harper

Very scary, and I heard they had planned to bomb them over major cities to cause as much damage as possible not in the middle of the atlantic...

Just me but I would definetly cancell any flight right now... if only to not have to wait at airpott for 6 hours.
Jorath Calar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 09:25 AM   #9
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Heard about this on the news this morning. Really glad they stopped them before they detonated anything!

I had to take a drink of my open Coke when I flew back from visiting my husband (then bf) right after 9-11. I was going through security with a bottle of Coke I'd started drinking and they made me take a swig of it in front a nice marine, in full flak and carrying a rifle.... was very strange, but then I see a report like this one and I realize why they were so vigilant about security.

Sounds like a major headache to be traveling just now, but I hope your trip is safe and reasonably unchaotic if you go!
Old 08-10-2006, 10:38 AM   #10
Harkoliar
Jack Burton

is this true? they were asians??

edit: i should clarify, the ones arrested were asians?

[ 08-10-2006, 10:38 AM: Message edited by: Harkoliar ]

Catch me if you can..
Harkoliar is offline   Reply With Quote