Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-31-2002, 09:34 PM   #1
Ladyzekke
Ironworks Atomic Moderator

Received this, agree with most of it, but not all, thought to toss it out and see what yall thought.:

OBITUARY (The Times, 1/1/2002)

Today we mourn the passing of an old friend, by the name of Common Sense. Common Sense lived a long life but died from heart
failure early in the New millennium. No one really knows how old he was since his birth records Were long ago lost in bureaucratic red tape. He selflessly devoted his life to service in schools, hospitals, factories and offices, helping folks get jobs done without fanfare and foolishness. For decades, petty rules, silly laws and frivolous lawsuits held no power over Common Sense. He was
credited with cultivating such valued lessons as to know when to come in out of the rain, the early bird gets the worm, and life isn't always fair. Common Sense lived by simple, sound financial policies
(don't spend more than you earn), reliable parenting strategies (the adults are in charge, not the kids), and it's okay to come in second (or even last, as long as your best efforts were given). A veteran of the Industrial Revolution, the Great Depression, and the Technological Revolution, Common Sense survived cultural and educational trends including body piercing, whole language and new
math." But his health declined when he became infected with the
"if-it-only-helps-one-person-it's-worth-it? virus. In recent decades his waning strength proved no match for the ravages of overbearing regulations. He watched in pain as good people became ruled by self-seeking lawyers. His health rapidly deteriorated when schools endlessly implemented zero tolerance policies, reports of six
year old boys charged with sexual harassment for kissing a classmate, a teen suspended for taking a swig of mouthwash after lunch, and a teacher fired for reprimanding an unruly student. It declined even
further when schools had to get parental consent to administer tylenol to a student but cannot inform the parent when the female student is pregnant or wants an
abortion.
Finally, Common Sense lost his will to live as the Ten
Commandments became contraband, churches became
businesses, criminals received better treatment than
victims, and federal judges stuck their noses in
everything from Boy Scouts to professional sports.
Finally, a woman who was stupid enough not to realize
that coffee is hot, and was awarded a huge payout for
her stupidity, caused Common Sense to finally throw in
the towel. Common Sense was preceded in death by his parents
Truth and Trust; his wife, Discretion; his daughter, Responsibility; and his son, Reason. He is survived by two stepbrothers: My Rights and Ima whiner. Not many attended his funeral because so few realized he was gone. -

Author Unknown to Me

Reality Show Recaps
Old 05-31-2002, 09:41 PM   #2
MagiK

A good read, humorous and sad all in one.
I think it was Samuel Clemmens (aka Mark Twain) who said "Alas the sad thing about common sense, is that it is not common!"

Old 05-31-2002, 09:54 PM   #3
Ladyzekke

Yes he did say that Magik I believe. Did you know Mark Twain was one of the first clients (copyright) of the Patent and Trademark lawfirm I work at? Pretty neat being connected in that way, albeit a small way, but still [img]smile.gif[/img]

Reality Show Recaps
Old 05-31-2002, 10:09 PM   #4
MagiK

Quote:
Originally posted by ladyzekke:
Yes he did say that Magik I believe. Did you know Mark Twain was one of the first clients (copyright) of the Patent and Trademark lawfirm I work at? Pretty neat being connected in that way, albeit a small way, but still [img]smile.gif[/img]
That is just too freaky!!! I almost never quote Twain but I just had the sudden impulse to do it (albeit you were talking about common sense) and it turns out you have that connection [img]smile.gif[/img] I think that is called Synchronicity

I really am a fan of his, have a book filled with odd little trivia stuff about him...one of which is that he was quite .... umm adult in some of his ponderings, the family later on tried to erase all record of his more baudy side [img]smile.gif[/img]

Oh by the way, is this blue too dark?

Old 05-31-2002, 10:30 PM   #5
Ladyzekke

Nope that blue actually goes very well with the brown background, good choice!

Reality Show Recaps
Old 05-31-2002, 11:06 PM   #6
DeSoya
Manshoon

Twain also said
"...one should be gentle with the ignorant, for they are the chosen of God."
Which seems rather correct to me. Not that I'm trying to slander any religion, it's just that there are so many stupid, ignorant people (I must say I often join their ranks). It's a wonder how some of them - like all these school officials who keep screwing things up - manage to live long enough to breed.

Interestingly enough, Mark Twains Aunt's house is about three blocks from my house. A bunch of my friends used to live in it and I spent a bunch of time there. Neat huh!

DeSoya
Old 06-01-2002, 02:29 AM   #7
Charean
Hathor

I also remember a little book called, "Common Sense" by Thomas Paine.

I am also a fan of Samual Clemens. Smart man, definitely left his mark in the South. In his day, he was one of the most sought out for a party or gathering of any sort... quite the social and popular man.
Old 06-01-2002, 02:59 AM   #8
Moni

Quote:
Originally posted by Charean:
I also remember a little book called, "Common Sense" by Thomas Paine.
Wasn't that "little book" (actually a pamphlet) a call to arms for the American Revolution?