Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 12-05-2001, 09:25 PM   #1
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

My wife is going to buy me something for the PC. What do I want???
I had mentioned previously about a larger Harddrive..or maybe a Pentium upgrade (I currently have PIII, 450) but I also would like stuff like a CD burner. How's the market? Also, do I want that new Soundblaster Platinum??? I have Sound blaster Live Audigy. Isn't that good enough???
What about speakers???
What are some kick-ass speakers??? I currently have Tsunami. They are pretty good, but I could get better, right?
Yo! Hook me up! Help a brotha out!
Old 12-05-2001, 09:37 PM   #2
MILAMBER
Lord Soth

It's all dirt cheap now. You can get a 16x burner for about $100.00. If you already have the Audigy, that is better then the Live Platinum. They do make an Audigy Platinum EX which you can get though. The difference between the Audigy Platinum and the Audigy is the Live! Drive. The live drive is a breakout box that has extra inputs and outputs on it. I personally love it. I run all my sound stuff using the optical outputs of the live drive. If you want better speakers, get a receiver and real home stereo speakers. They will sound much better then computer speakers. Especially if you use the optical output from a live drive and plug it into an optical input in your receiver. That way it's all digital up to the speakers. Ram is cheap if you need some, and it would probably be good to upgrade your processor, but you're looking @ 400.00 minimum to step into a worthwhile processor/motherboard/ram upgrade(and you would most likely need to do all at once).
\"The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his.\"<br />-General George Patton (1885-1945)<br /> <br />Member of CLAN HADB<br />Founder of The Anti Clan Coalition
Old 12-05-2001, 10:26 PM   #3
Daenery
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Your sound card is just fine. One of the best imo. Concerning your speakers, I think Harmon Kardon make some really nice ones. They sound crystal clear with good bass tones. A good CD burner, no matter what anyone says, is the fastest you can get made by HP. If you really don't like HP (I don't like their pc's, but that is another story), go with a Yamaha. They have a new one out and it is priced good, and the quality seems to be outstanding. Adding a new hard drive and all the new space you get from it is always a plus in my book. Dang heheh, that almost sounds like and entirely new PC. Have fun! And happy holidays =)
Old 12-06-2001, 02:10 AM   #4
MILAMBER
Lord Soth

Actually the best CDRW's are made by Plextor right now. The yamaha's are good, but they don't have a consistant burn speed. They burn fast at the inside of the disk and slow down later in the burn. A 16x yamaha burns at about 14x consitantly. HP's are reliable as all get out, but they don't overburn or burn right protected disks(not that you would want to do that anyways). Plextors are excellent all around.
\"The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his.\"<br />-General George Patton (1885-1945)<br /> <br />Member of CLAN HADB<br />Founder of The Anti Clan Coalition
Old 12-06-2001, 02:13 AM   #5
huma
The Magister

As stated before your sound is excellent.CD-RW--PLEXTOR--is the best
in my opinion,and in every other CG mag out there.Speakers,Klipsch ProMedia 5.1 .These are the best but I don,t imagine they are the cheapest.Just turn to the killer rigs portion in any number of computer games mags and begin to drool.I have a set of Cambridge Soundworks speakers that I paid 50 dollars canadian for and they are fantastic for their size.Crystal clear as well.My cd burner is a brand x that was the fastest available at a reasonable price.So far it has been very stable.
Old 12-06-2001, 02:22 AM   #6
Daenery
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Cool, thanks for the info about Plextor. Sorry if my info is messed up. I was wondering why when I ordered a PC from Alienware my only option was a Plextor =)