Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 11-21-2009, 02:45 PM   #1
Chewbacca
Zartan

Mad Big E-tailer Scam!!

Wow, that's a whole list of businesses I would consider "trusted" and some I have used.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1023_3-10399880-93.html

Quote:
excerpt-
Vertrue, Webloyalty, and Affinion generated more than $1.4 billion by "misleading" Web shoppers, said members of the U.S. Senate Committee on Commerce, Science and Transportation, which called the hearing. Lawmakers saved their harshest rebuke for Web retailers that accepted big money--a combined sum of $792 million--to share their customers' credit-card information with the marketers.

Senate investigators launched their six-month inquiry by examining complaints from people who discovered mysterious charges on their credit card bill. For years, Web shoppers have complained that ey were signed up to some Web loyalty program without their knowledge and were charged fees until they discovered the problem and complained. Some paid fees for years.

The government says the investigation shows that Webloyalty, Affinion, and Vertrue "trick" consumers into entering their e-mail address just before they complete purchases at sites such as Orbitz, Priceline.com, Buy.com, 1-800 Flowers, Continental Airlines, Fandango, and Classmates.com. A Web ad, which many consumers say appears to be from the retailer, offers them cash back or coupon if they key in their e-mail address.

Many of those who complained say they don't fear the ad because they aren't being asked to turn over credit-card information, according to the Senate report. But buried in the ad's fine print is notification that by entering their e-mail address, the shopper is agreeing to join a loyalty program and allowing the store to authorize marketers to charge their card each month, between $9 and $12.
Old 11-21-2009, 04:43 PM   #2
machinehead
Drizzt Do'Urden

Default Re: Big E-tailer Scam!!

Thanks for the heads up. I don't think Classmates.com is going to be very happy with me as I pasted the whole article with the link on my school message board.
machinehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 07:52 PM   #3
Chewbacca
Zartan

Default Re: Big E-tailer Scam!!

LOL, You are welcome. Good job spreading the werd! I have always been a little suspicious of classmates just out of privacy concerns in general, it seems my hunch was right!