Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 11-22-2001, 10:43 AM   #1
Sir Exxon
Zartan

Have anyone heard about the band "The Doors"?
I think it is great! [img]graemlins/music03.gif[/img]
I am actually listening to it right now, the song "Break on Through"

Any other Doors-fans out there?

see ya!
Old 11-22-2001, 10:50 AM   #2
Debaser

heh....heheheh....HEHEHEHEHH...ANY OTHER DOORS FANS OUT THERE!???

dude, I am like an utmost Doors afficionado!! I have every studio released album and the box set!!! glad to hear of someone discovering this amazing band for the first time, I know it blew my mind when I first got into them.

they are one of my favorite bands of all time, hands down. a few summers ago i visited Jim Morrison's gravesite in Pere Lachaise in Paris, and that was pretty cool for me.

'break on through' is a great classic song, yes, but if you're really feelin the Doors, may i suggest delving much deeper into their musical repertoire...Waiting for the Sun is probably my favorite doors album ever....you should also get Morrison Hotel and Strange Days....after this, check out Soft Parade (a personal favorite Doors album of mine, though many people i know disagree). Of course, LA Woman is a great album, very bluesy and just excellent all together. you can't go wrong with any Doors album, in my opinion.

If you want something a little more free-form and artsy, check out An American Prayer (its Jim's recorded poetry juxtaposed with the surviving Doors having recorded a musical context for the spoken-word poetry. an interesting listen, no doubt....)

by the way, if you ever see the Doors movie, Oliver Stone was full of shit when it came to many of the things he portrayed. don't buy it all, because quite a few things are blown out of proportion, misrepresented, or downright made up out of thin air. an amusing flick, but hardly a documentary.

[ 11-22-2001: Message edited by: Debaser ]

Old 11-22-2001, 10:54 AM   #3
Debaser

oh, by the way....not too long ago the Robby Krieger Band played down the street from where I live in Northern VA...(in case you don't know, Robby Krieger was the guitarist for the Doors)...he played maybe three or four of his own original tunes, but ALL the rest of the set was Doors songs, and he played for a good two hours, maybe even longer than that. it was an amazing show and one i'll always remember.......highlights = Wild Child, and them actually playing my shouted-out request for The Changeling! I'll never forget that show.
Old 11-22-2001, 11:04 AM   #4
Sir Exxon
Zartan

Wow, and I thought I knew alot about the band!
How mant CD's do you have of them? I have:
  • The Doors
    Strange Days
    Morrison Hotel
    Soft Parade
    Waiting for the sun
    LA Woman
    In Consert
    Box Set part 1
    Box Set part 2
    Greatest Hits
    Absolutely Live

see ya!
Old 11-22-2001, 11:24 AM   #5
Debaser

quote:
Originally posted by Sir Exxon:
Wow, and I thought I knew alot about the band!
How mant CD's do you have of them? I have:
  • The Doors
    Strange Days
    Morrison Hotel
    Soft Parade
    Waiting for the sun
    LA Woman
    In Consert
    Box Set part 1
    Box Set part 2
    Greatest Hits
    Absolutely Live

see ya!

I have:
  • The Doors
    Strange Days
    Morrison Hotel
    Soft Parade
    Waiting for the sun
    LA Woman
    All four box set cds...
    a double CD oof The Doors-in concert (which is essentially both "In Concert" and "Absolutely live" put together in one comprehensive album)
    An American Prayer

My friend also has a tape of the Doors live in Stockholm which i plan to record off of him when i get the chance--it's a totally badass concert.
Old 11-22-2001, 02:38 PM   #6
Sir Byronas
Mephistopheles

I like them. They are very good. I think they won EMMI prices.
Old 11-22-2001, 02:56 PM   #7
Barb
Symbol of Cyric

Haven't actually heard of them. What kind of music do they do?
Old 11-22-2001, 03:04 PM   #8
Sir Exxon
Zartan

quote:
Originally posted by Barb:
Haven't actually heard of them. What kind of music do they do?

Rock.
But of course they does'nt excist now. The vocalist, Jim Morrison, died of to much [img]graemlins/bonghit.gif[/img] in Paris in 1972 or something. (I never remember that year/date)
The others, Ray Manzarek, Robbie Krieger and John Densmore, is still playing in different bands.
But on the end of their carriere, Jim was mostly [img]graemlins/1drunk.gif[/img] , and made a cd while he was [img]graemlins/1drunk.gif[/img] , with just much poems and stuff.
My dad actually have an LP where Jim made a tape about two weeks before he died.

see ya!

[ 11-22-2001: Message edited by: Sir Exxon ]

Old 11-22-2001, 05:05 PM   #9
Debaser

Barb--
the Doors are dark psychedelic blues rock. a touch of jazz here and there, definite blues influence (Jim Morrison loved playing and singing the blues). It's hard to describe what the overall sound of Manzarek's organ sound, Krieger's immaculate liquid slide guitar, Densmore's technical jazz drumming, and Morrison's baritone vocals/insane shrieks sound when juxtaposed with eachother. Just pick up a record and listen!

[ 11-22-2001: Message edited by: Debaser ]

Old 11-22-2001, 10:26 PM   #10
Grand-Ranger
Galvatron

Location: Everywhere I wanna go its already where I am,cause I am already there
The Doors Rule.

Nevermind thay "psyidelic blues/rock" they are straight up Rock 'n' Rool,man!

Jim was one of the great song writer/poets of our time, Riders on the Storm, Break on Through, ect. they all wear amazing.

They wear all great muscains as well.

~Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free.

~If my poetry aims to achieve anything, it's to deliver people from the limited ways in which they see and feel.

~ A hero is someone who rebels or seems to rebel against the facts of existence and seems to conquer them. Obviously that can only work at moments. It can't be a lasting thing. That's not saying that people shouldn't keep trying to rebel against the facts of existence. Someday, who knows, we might conquer death, disease and war.

All morrison quotes, as well as the one in my sig.

Jim died in Parris in 1971 I belive.

Edit:Er, well somone removed the quote from my sig..