Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Miscellaneous Games (RPG or not)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 11-20-2001, 01:07 PM   #11
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by tabbikaat:
Hi Everyone!
p.s. what ever happened to RUDEDAWG?? really enjoyed reading about his adventures....

Dear tabbikaat:

Welcome! It's good to see you again. [img]smile.gif[/img] On your question regarding RudeDawg, he's been offline for several months now due to real-life complications. Without going into too many details, both his job and his health have suffered greatly. We heard from him back at GD about two months ago, then he disappeared again. All we can do is pray for his life to improve and hope he fares well.

Cheers,

-Sazerac
Sazerac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2001, 01:58 PM   #12
vesselle
Hathor

hmmmm.
i kinda find the spaces not so much annoying, but not entirely pre-emptive. lol!

i always end up scrolling down and reading anyway (pandora and her box syndrome, i guess!). then, i want to slap myself for doing it ::rolls her eyes::

what i really, really like is the hidden spoiler mentioned by pangur ban..... that was used extensively on the ultima boards and it's easy to do!
in fact, we could keep a thread by you at the top of the forum, with the code in it, so that anyone could just cut and paste it around their spoiler.

LOL! plus, that way i would never "accidentally" spoil myself.

the problem i see is more like
>>>>> what denotes a spoiler?
.. maybe an out and out, step by step solution to an area?
.. or revelation of major plot points?

hints and nudges don't fall into that category.

see? i don't want to know that the Supreme Felpurr of Trenton drops the Badly Made Leash of Lost Puppies.
however, i don't mind knowing that Trenton is where i can find good stuff for my kitties at swell prices.

V***V
Old 11-20-2001, 02:03 PM   #13
BlackRaven
Dungeon Master

I favor eliminating the "dead space" and putting the word spoiler in the subject line. Most of the topics are pretty obvious anyway and if I don't want a hint I just don't look.
Old 11-20-2001, 02:10 PM   #14
Neb
Account deleted by Request

SPOILER in the subject line should be enough, however if it is a spoiler in a reply to a thread which is NOT a spoiler then a spoiler space should be used.
Neb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2001, 02:33 PM   #15
tabbikaat
Dungeon Master

Neb - that's a good idea!
tabbikaat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2001, 02:56 PM   #16
Wyvern
Ironworks Moderator

Don't know about anyone else for certain, but I don't go out to a board and start looking things up unless I'm looking for an answer. A friend of mine who used to sysop some game areas online back when there wasn't a web used to always like to give cryptic hints rather than answers which used to drive me nutso.
I know when I go to a board that it is possible that I might learn more than I anticipated but have rarely found that such knowledge "spoiled" playing that particular area/puzzle myself. But I know that before I go reading the boards and feel it is my responsibility rather than those who have been posting help for others.

Frankly, I think players like "spoilers" or why would strategy guides have become the norm and why would there be so many help/spoiler boards and walkthrus about the web - people like to be able to look up the answers when they get stuck rather than spend hours fussing around trying to find some solution. The players who like solving it all on their own are going to do just that and not be visiting this or other boards for a "hint".

So my vote is just say what you have to say and readers accept the responsibility that they might get "spoiled".

Wyv
Wyvern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2001, 03:07 PM   #17
Neb
Account deleted by Request

Some people are very touchy about spoilers though, one person I know freaked out just because someone told him you get a book that could summon golems in BG2:ToB, but I'm sure that he'd probably still post on the forums to ask for help if he'd been stuck somewhere for a week, so let's let those like him have a chance as well.

Personally, I don't really mind spoilers that much, unless of course it's something like: "And then, just after the big battle you discover that the main villain is your second cousin!" Or something, or: "And then that NPC betrays you!", kinda ruins a bit of the fun in the game.....
Neb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2001, 04:39 PM   #18
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Neb:
Personally, I don't really mind spoilers that much, unless of course it's something like: "And then, just after the big battle you discover that the main villain is your second cousin!" Or something, or: "And then that NPC betrays you!", kinda ruins a bit of the fun in the game.....

That's exactly the kind I mean, Neb. I mean, if Myles turns out to betray you, I don't want to know about that; I want to find out about it on my own. That's the kind of spoilers I do NOT want posted up here--the TRUE spoilers, the ones that give away the plot line Same with the endgame...I don't want to know who it is who ascends. Let us find that out on our own.

(Just FYI, I have no idea about Myles and what he does...just using that as an example.)

Cheers,
-Sazerac
Sazerac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2001, 06:07 PM   #19
Moni

quote:
Originally posted by Wyvern:
Don't know about anyone else for certain, but I don't go out to a board and start looking things up unless I'm looking for an answer. A friend of mine who used to sysop some game areas online back when there wasn't a web used to always like to give cryptic hints rather than answers which used to drive me nutso.
I know when I go to a board that it is possible that I might learn more than I anticipated but have rarely found that such knowledge "spoiled" playing that particular area/puzzle myself. But I know that before I go reading the boards and feel it is my responsibility rather than those who have been posting help for others.

Frankly, I think players like "spoilers" or why would strategy guides have become the norm and why would there be so many help/spoiler boards and walkthrus about the web - people like to be able to look up the answers when they get stuck rather than spend hours fussing around trying to find some solution. The players who like solving it all on their own are going to do just that and not be visiting this or other boards for a "hint".

So my vote is just say what you have to say and readers accept the responsibility that they might get "spoiled".

Wyv

Well, if the title of the thread shows that the content is going to show answers or information to areas I don't want to know about, I don't open them up and look. The same goes for threads with *Spoiler* in the title.

I do come to this board to see how others' games are going, what roles are going well for what races (my human Lord sucks lol) for possibilities of generating a different party to play with and to answer any questions I may be able to. There is also "The Domina Digest" thread and general game conversation threads that I like to be tuned in to.
Not everyone who comes here is looking for hints or answers and I never use strategy guides because if I am going to see how to get through every area of the game first, for me at least, it would not be much fun.
Oh I'll be asking questions if I have a problem or get stuck, don't get me wrong! But to come here for all the answers is not why we are here. [img]smile.gif[/img]

It's fine with me if the spoiler spaces are saved for what others deem as possible spoilers, but if someone thinks a hint needs that space and you don't think it does, it should not upset you...they just want you to have the choice to get the answer or to go back and figure it out on your own.