Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Wizards & Warriors Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 03-11-2001, 12:42 PM   #1
todwest
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I have tried the myriad of suggestions in dealing with the crash to desktop when leaving the town. Nothing works. In software mode, I get to the area just outside of town and it crashes immediately when I try to move. In D3D, it crashes the moment I attempt to leave town. All of my drivers are current. I have enough hard disk space. I have tried every suggestion I can find. No luck. I would be interested in any suggestions beyond what I have already seen posted here. If there is a known fix for this, (of course there is no information at the Activision site) please let me know. Many people have experienced this same problem. I would think there would be a solution. Maybe Activision should support their games. What do you think?
todwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2001, 01:09 PM   #2
Wyvern
Ironworks Moderator

Yes, it would be nice if Activision supported their games!!

We're still looking for some solution for you - so don't give up just yet.

Wyv
Wyvern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2001, 01:26 PM   #3
carg
The Magister

Todwest, how much memory do you have in your computer?
carg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2001, 04:39 PM   #4
todwest
Elite Waterdeep Guard

My system:
AMD Duron 600mhz
128MB SDRAM
Voodoo 4 4500 AGP
Diamond Monter 3 sound card
Asus A7V Motherboard

I haven't had an unsolvable problem with a game for a long time. It's like the old DOS days all over again.
Old 03-11-2001, 04:51 PM   #5
Wyvern
Ironworks Moderator

This is far from my forte -

Any chance that some of your memory might be bad?

Memory is rather inexpensive right now (I think)- upgrading couldn't hurt and might reveal if you do have some bad memory.

Wyv
Wyvern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2001, 04:09 AM   #6
carg
The Magister

Best things I can think of currently you might have tried already, but here's a list anyway:
run a memory test (enable the full test in the BIOS or with a program like Norton Diagnostics),
run scandisk on your harddisk,
try to set the Windows swapfile to 300 MB,
disable all sound in the game,
uninstall and reinstall directX (you can check your installation with C:\Program Files\DIRECTX\SETUP\DxDiag),
make sure you've closed all unnecessary programs in the background,
disable the screensaver (a long shot).
carg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2001, 12:07 PM   #7
todwest
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Thanks for the info all. Memory good. I'll try setting the swap file in my virtual memory to 300Mb, although I have 4.5 Gigs of free space on my HD. Carg, it is not possible to uninstall DirectX. If you uninstall it, you will seriously destabilize your system to the point where a reformat will be needed. Check with the Microsoft website. My version is currently Directx8.0a.
Calling Activision this morning. If I don't get a coherent response, I am filing a formal complaint with the Better Business Bureau in their community. This game has been out for months, and no patch to fix this yet. They obviously cease to care about the customer after they have the money.
Old 03-12-2001, 01:54 PM   #8
todwest
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Hi all. Have some potential suggestions for a fix. Starting a new topic called "DirectX 7 and desktop crashes". Lets continue the discussion there,