Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 02-27-2007, 07:12 PM   #1
thecarrotdude
Zhentarim Guard

what is the best race, class and weapon proficiency should i start the game with? Please spare me the "they're all good in their own way" stuff. also i tried importing my ranger from bg1 and in his biography its weird, it says something like "you have been (char name)'s friend for blah blah blah, etc." its not the same as the biography if u start a new character. I would most definitely use my ranger if there is a way to make the biography normal. (spoiler: for the golden/bronze/silver pantaloons stuff) Please help.

"Excuse me, I believe you have my stapler..."
- Milton Waddams
thecarrotdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 08:32 PM   #2
SixOfSpades
Dracolisk

You can edit your own Biography in-game, it's accessible near where you can customize your Skin & Hair colors, portrait, soundset, and AI.
Old 02-27-2007, 08:50 PM   #3
thecarrotdude
Zhentarim Guard

Yes... but it would be nice if the correct biography showed up from the beginning

- Milton Waddams
Old 02-28-2007, 12:53 AM   #4
IronDragon
Elminster

Paladins are good class to start with

They have a lot of stat requirements so its easy to roll up a good one.

The game rewards playing good.

I like the Inquisitor kit. Nice special abilities, especially true sight and dispel magic. The restrictions are no big deal, they are more cleric abilities than anything else.

Paladin’s led themselves well to groups
If I could recommend Jaheira, Yoshimo, Nalia, Anomen and Valygar…very powerful and flexible team

Specializations are easy. Two handed swords…for one of the best weapons in the game
Crossbows work well for me and put a couple *’s in single weapon style.

If you are really role playing a Paladin though you can forget about the silver pantaloons...to get them you gotta be naughty
Old 02-28-2007, 05:22 AM   #5
Armen
Symbol of Cyric

Quote:
Originally posted by IronDragon:
Specializations are easy. Two handed swords…for one of the best weapons in the game
Crossbows work well for me and put a couple *’s in single weapon style.
slight slip there - two-handed weapon style is what you need to go with the big swords - that'll do for your initial proficiencies - after that see what the rest of your party ues and go for different ones - you might want to take quarterstaff for a blunt damage dealing two-handed weapon

paladin is a good class but there is a NPC inquisitor already and choosing a character around one weapon that you might (probabaly will )get later in the game seems a bit depressing to me

if you enjoyed playing a ranger in BG1 there's nothing wrong with that as a choice - there are two NPC rangers including Minsc but neither have the ranger archer kit (my perosnal favourite)

give us an idea what sort of things you like your PC to do
Armen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 01:10 PM   #6
OTG
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I'd recommend taking a beserker for your first run through.
OTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 02:09 AM   #7
Illumina Drathiran'ar
Apophis

5 Card Draw Champion
Even though there are a few NPCs with this class, cleric or fighter/cleric is always a good, solid choice. You already know how the magic system works, you get to wear armor, you get to turn undead, and the first time through, some extra spell power can't possibly hurt. While you're doing that, you can experiment with some NPC mages and see how they work before you take one of those on, if you so desire.

http://xkcd.com/386/
http://www.xkcd.com/406/

My heart is like my coffee. Black, bitter, icy, and with a straw.
Illumina Drathiran'ar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 04:03 AM   #8
Andraste
Manshoon

Ranger-cleric, due to the way the class is implimented you get all the cleric and all the druid spells, combined with the best dual-wielding fighter class.
Andraste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 09:34 AM   #9
Harkoliar
Jack Burton

the easy one would be a general fighter

if your looking for fun and challenge, wildmage is pretty nifty [img]smile.gif[/img]

Catch me if you can..
Harkoliar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 05:51 PM   #10
thecarrotdude
Zhentarim Guard

I decided to use my ranger (for the biography i just copy and pasted the general one for my imported ranger) should i specialize my ranger, (e.g. archer, the animal one, etc.)

- Milton Waddams