Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 09-16-2001, 02:03 AM   #51
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by G'kar:
I'll just hafta forgive Mr. Falwell once again. Whats so funny, is I'm one of those ACLU loving, prochoice, straight but not narrow-minded, pagans for the American way that he blames it all on. It would probably drive him to prayer to hear me testify that I call for my inner-christ to help me forgive his poor,misguided, and ignorant ranting.

Here is to all the open-minded, tolerant people of the world, Cheers!
Well, G'kar that IS a very Christian attitude! (and just a plain nice one!) Good for you. They may be extreme, but we can always pray that they learn they are misguided.

Cloudy

------------------

Raindancer of the Laughing Hyenas Clan
Storm-Queen
Raven's Cloud
StormCloud of the Black Knight: Heart Mind Soul Forever
"To sleep, perchance to dream..."

[This message has been edited by Cloudbringer (edited 09-16-2001).]
Old 09-16-2001, 02:54 AM   #52
trex_2010
Dungeon Master

Quote:
Specifically, "pagans, abortionists, feminists, homosexuals, the American Civil Liberities Union and the People for the American Way.

Lifetime, you're right.

Edited message:

HE IS WRONG

[This message has been edited by trex_2010 (edited 09-16-2001).]
Old 09-16-2001, 03:13 AM   #53
Lifetime
Red Dragon

Quote:
Originally posted by trex_2010:
that's quite a list there...
-- pagans - ok i can understand why a priest would have a prob or two with these guys.
-- abortionists - well if he thinks its murder i guess i understand why he would point the finger at them.
-- feminists - WTF is wrong with feminists?! As far as i know none of the things they want are sins according the ten commandments.
-- homosexuals - i don't think _this_ is a sin according to the commandments either...I'm a member of the GSA (gay-straight allience) at my school, i'm really pissed off about this one. the last time i was forced to read the holy book was quite a few years ago and i don't remember _ANYTHING_ involving homosexuals.

i probably don't make any sense, but that's only because people like that piss me off. to quote George Carlin "Clergymen are full of shit."

i do not comit to any religion, and don't care much for it however, when i hear something along the lines of "God is mad because of << _insert a group of people that piss the speaker off here_ >>. We must destroy them." what ever happened to "you shall not kill" i wonder...and the soldiers were "BLESSED" before going out and killing people. basically what these "holy men" are always saying is we are the only ones who understand and hear god, and you must do as we say because that is god's will.

anyway, if you really want to know why i think religion, especially christianity is stupid, send me an e-mail. this post is full of random things but its only because i'm so mad.

back to the original question though. I think he should be shot for saying something like that.

Trex I've got nothing against you, but maybe you should tone down your post a little. I dont appreciate my religion being called stupid. Not all people are like Mr Falwell.

------------------
Proud to be American
Old 09-16-2001, 03:19 AM   #54
Lifetime
Red Dragon

Oh yes..try re-reading the Holy Book in detail rather than stopping at page 2 and saying that its a load of crap.

Leviticus 18:22
"Do not lie with a man as one lies with a woman;that is detestable"

1 Corinthians 6:9
"Do you not know that the wicked will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be decieved:Neither the sexually immoral nor idolaters nor adulterers nore male prostitutes nor homosexual offenders"

Never fight on uncharted territory, for those who defend it are better equipped.

------------------
Proud to be American

[This message has been edited by Lifetime (edited 09-16-2001).]
Old 09-16-2001, 03:26 AM   #55
trex_2010
Dungeon Master

Quote:
Oh yes..try re-reading the Holy Book in detail rather than stopping at page 2 and saying that its a load of crap.
Leviticus 18:22
"Do not lie with a man as one lies with a woman;that is detestable"

1 Corinthians 6:9
"Do you not know that the wicked will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be decieved:Neither the sexually immoral nor idolaters nor adulterers nore male prostitutes nor homosexual offenders"

Never fight on uncharted territory, for those who defend it are better equipped.
i stand corrected.

------------------
:: One by one, the penguins are stealing my sanity ::

"There's nothing like a gnome wizard to prove that size doesn't matter."
Old 09-16-2001, 07:28 AM   #56
Dramnek_Ulk

Quoteing from the bible:

"Let your women keep silence in the churches: for it is not permitted unto them to speak; but they are commanded to be under obedience, as also saith the law."

"If anyone has no love for the lord,Let him be acursed.Maran Atha!" (xvi,22)

Also according to the new testament people who don't belive in god are:

"Filled with all manner of wickedness,evil,covetousness,malice.full of envy,murder,strife,deceit,malignity,they are gossips,slanderers,haters of god,insolent,haughty,boastful,inventors of evil,disobediant to parents,foolish,faithless,heartless,ruthless" (Rom i,29-31)

Crude sterotypeing

"Now go and smite amaleck,and utterly destroy all that they have: do not spare them,But kill both man and woman,infant and suckling,ox and sheep,Camel and ass"
(i sam. xv,3)

is that Really the command of a merciful god?

Its easy to see where jerry got his ideas from.

Old 09-16-2001, 08:32 AM   #57
Lifetime
Red Dragon

Quote:
Originally posted by Dramnek_Ulk:
Quoteing from the bible:

"Let your women keep silence in the churches: for it is not permitted unto them to speak; but they are commanded to be under obedience, as also saith the law."

"If anyone has no love for the lord,Let him be acursed.Maran Atha!" (xvi,22)

Also according to the new testament people who don't belive in god are:

"Filled with all manner of wickedness,evil,covetousness,malice.full of envy,murder,strife,deceit,malignity,they are gossips,slanderers,haters of god,insolent,haughty,boastful,inventors of evil,disobediant to parents,foolish,faithless,heartless,ruthless" (Rom i,29-31)

Crude sterotypeing

"Now go and smite amaleck,and utterly destroy all that they have: do not spare them,But kill both man and woman,infant and suckling,ox and sheep,Camel and ass"
(i sam. xv,3)

is that Really the command of a merciful god?

Its easy to see where jerry got his ideas from.
Arent some humans by nature, jealous, proud, hate God, gossips, disrespectful to authority, liars, hateful, spiteful, and ruthless and merciless when faced with their enemies?
Such is human nature, and you should credit the Paul for making such an observation.
I dont say people like Mr Falwell are totally wrong, but what they say does have truth. The word is written, but humans can choose how they understand it.

And about Mercy. The Lord is not just a merciful God, but also a Just one. He punishes those who deserve it, but never excessively and beyond reason.

I dont intend to argue, but this is how I see the whole tragedy.

Its not a work of God, its metaphor for living. The Devil(note Islamic extremists) can strike the Proud too, and the Strong, and he can strike when he wants, how he wants, wherever he wants. We can't stop him, just as we couldnt stop the planes from crashing, but we have a choice on how to face him.

You cannot argue about a faith if you yourself dont believe in it. There has to be certain points of faith that you too accept, such as the fact that the Bible says all humans are sinful and deserving of death. If you dont believe in these key points, there is no point at quoting scripture back at me, or any Christian, because if I say that yes, the entire human race is deserving of a terrible death BUT by the love of God we are spared, you're obviously not going to accept the fact that I believe YOU or ME or ANYONE is sinful and has to die.

If you dont believe yourself deserving of a punishment for your sins, or any other points, the Bible is nothing more than a contradictory Book. For those who DO understand Christianity and believe in its statments, only then is the Bible open to debate, because there is common ground in basic faith.

Its like a Christian and a Muslim facing off and both accusing each other of sins by their own faiths. Its senseless, accomplishes nothing, and can come to no resolution.

------------------
Proud to be American
Old 09-16-2001, 08:55 AM   #58
Bahamut
Iron Throne Cult

Well, he misinterpreted it. God will NEVER EVER lift his finger up to remove his protection. We will be the ones held responsible, not him... Whole point. The fact that he made that statement means that he doesn't knwo a thing about his religion and all. I am Catholic, and I think I understand God now. I think we all should be dead if He was this mean. This states that he has little faith in his deity and it plains says he is a coward. Abortions and homosexualities are different from terrorisms anyway. I am being one-sided here, but hell, why would they preach God is ever-forgiving if He isn't? Geez...

------------------

Heya! It's just me, Bahamut!
Old 09-16-2001, 08:59 AM   #59
Horus - Egyptian Sky God

God does not interven human fares, people, wake up!
there is a God, but he does not decide our future
we find comfort, strength, peace by BEING with him, and

THAT IS THE PROTECTION HE HAS PLACED ON US

with that, out futures and welbeings are decided by our own deeds
God has never once lifted his blessing, it is always with us
Old 09-16-2001, 09:01 AM   #60
Horus - Egyptian Sky God

Quote:
Originally posted by Bahamut:
Well, he misinterpreted it. God will NEVER EVER lift his finger up to remove his protection. We will be the ones held responsible, not him... Whole point. The fact that he made that statement means that he doesn't knwo a thing about his religion and all. I am Catholic, and I think I understand God now. I think we all should be dead if He was this mean. This states that he has little faith in his deity and it plains says he is a coward. Abortions and homosexualities are different from terrorisms anyway. I am being one-sided here, but hell, why would they preach God is ever-forgiving if He isn't? Geez...

cannot say it any better than that, except I wouldn't attack that poor dude in public