Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-18-2004, 09:17 AM   #1
Cerek the Barbaric
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

IOC gives go-ahead for transsexuals to compete

LAUSANNE, Switzerland (AP) -- Transsexuals were cleared Monday to compete in the Olympics for the first time.

Under a proposal approved by the IOC executive board, athletes who have undergone sex-change surgery will be eligible for the Olympics if their new gender has been legally recognized and they have gone through a minimum two-year period of postoperative hormone therapy.

The decision, which covers both male-to-female and female-to-male cases, goes into effect starting with the Athens Olympics in August.

The IOC had put off a decision in February, saying more time was needed to consider all the medical issues.

Some members had been concerned whether male-to-female transsexuals would have physical advantages competing against women.

Men have higher levels of testosterone and greater muscle-to-fat ratio and heart and lung capacity. However, doctors say, testosterone levels and muscle mass drop after hormone therapy and sex-change surgery.

IOC spokeswoman Giselle Davies said the situation of transsexuals competing in high-level sports was "rare but becoming more common."

IOC medical director Patrick Schamasch said no specific sports had been singled out by the ruling.

"Any sport may be touched by this problem," he said. "Until now, we didn't have any rules or regulations. We needed to establish some sort of policy."

Until 1999, the IOC conducted gender verification tests at the Olympics but the screenings were dropped before the 2000 Sydney Games.

One of the best known cases of transsexuals in sports involves Renee Richards, formerly Richard Raskin, who played on the women's tennis tour in the 1970s.

In March, Australia's Mianne Bagger became the first transsexual to play in a pro golf tournament.

Michelle Dumaresq, formerly Michael, has competed in mountain bike racing for Canada.

Copyright 2004 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Personally, I would have thought the required hormone therapy would have eliminated transsexuals from being eligible for the Olympics. Guess not. The point about former men competing head-to-head against women is also interesting.
Old 05-18-2004, 10:02 AM   #2
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

I see a whole new professional arena opening up. [img]graemlins/repuke.gif[/img]
Old 05-18-2004, 11:59 AM   #3
Khazadman Risen
Manshoon

Aaaah, the decline of world civilization.

Or at least for standards in athletics.

[ 05-18-2004, 12:00 PM: Message edited by: Khazadman Risen ]
Old 05-18-2004, 01:20 PM   #4
Illumina Drathiran'ar
Apophis

5 Card Draw Champion
My grand reaction: So?

If this has been cleared apparently the therapy and surgery makes the transformation complete enough to not make a difference. I would say that the ones making the decisions are more informed on the issue than most of us are, no?

And if a horde of transexuals starts winning the Olympics because of unfair advantages or whatever, they'll change the rules again. Simple as that.

http://xkcd.com/386/
http://www.xkcd.com/406/

My heart is like my coffee. Black, bitter, icy, and with a straw.
Illumina Drathiran'ar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2004, 07:51 PM   #5
john
Drizzt Do'Urden

Maybe a new transexual army? No more arguments about women in combat!
Old 05-18-2004, 07:56 PM   #6
True_Moose
Gold Dragon

The IOC is kind of slow. I remember for awhile, they would ban women and men athletes for having different chromosomes (something like 1 in 1000 women are born naturally with XXY.) They're not a brilliant organisation.

I don't have a moral problem with them competing, but I may have a fair play issue. I am in an intense hockey training program right now, and I can tell you that I have a natural physical advantage, in terms of strength, over the girls in my group. Don't get me wrong, they can overcome it with more work, but I have more of a natural gift. I wonder if it's really fair if a man gets really bulked up, to the point he can compete in the Olympics, and then has a sex change. What about the natural women, who are inherently put at a disadvantage?
Old 05-18-2004, 11:04 PM   #7
The Hierophant
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

Quote:
Originally posted by Khazadman Risen:
Or at least for standards in athletics.
What sort of standards? We'll wait and see how transexual athletes perform before we say whether standards have changed shall we?
Old 05-18-2004, 11:47 PM   #8
Cerek the Barbaric
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Quote:
Originally posted by True_Moose:
The IOC is kind of slow. I remember for awhile, they would ban women and men athletes for having different chromosomes (something like 1 in 1000 women are born naturally with XXY.) They're not a brilliant organisation.

I don't have a moral problem with them competing, but I may have a fair play issue. I am in an intense hockey training program right now, and I can tell you that I have a natural physical advantage, in terms of strength, over the girls in my group. Don't get me wrong, they can overcome it with more work, but I have more of a natural gift. I wonder if it's really fair if a man gets really bulked up, to the point he can compete in the Olympics, and then has a sex change. What about the natural women, who are inherently put at a disadvantage?
According to the article, the two years of required hormone therapy after the operation is supposed to eliminate - or at least minimize - the natural physical advantage men have over women.

As I said, my surprise was that the hormone therapy did not disqualify the athletes automatically. But I guess hormone therapy is not the same as "perfomance enhancement".
Old 05-19-2004, 12:31 AM   #9
Illumina Drathiran'ar
Apophis

5 Card Draw Champion
That was partly a general statement, and partly directed at Khazadman, Cerek. I understood what you said, but thanks anyway for clarifying.

http://xkcd.com/386/
http://www.xkcd.com/406/

My heart is like my coffee. Black, bitter, icy, and with a straw.
Illumina Drathiran'ar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2004, 03:46 AM   #10
the new JR Jansen
Drizzt Do'Urden

Quote:
Originally posted by Cerek the Barbaric:
quote:
Originally posted by True_Moose:

According to the article, the two years of required hormone therapy after the operation is supposed to eliminate - or at least minimize - the natural physical advantage men have over women.

As I said, my surprise was that the hormone therapy did not disqualify the athletes automatically. But I guess hormone therapy is not the same as "perfomance enhancement".
[/QUOTE]Well, maybe i can try to explain this, allthough i'm not a transexual, i am in sports and play at a high enough level that i can get checked for 'performance enhancing' drugs.

These hormones are natural hormones. Ie the human body makes these too. A women has more oestrogen then a man and a man has more testosterone then a women. If they give the transexual a hormone treatment, he or she (as the case may be) has the normal amount of hormones in the body.

Besides it's not as if a man is taking these to enhance it's performance among men.

Ugh, hope this made sense. I sometimes can't make heads or tails from this anti doping stuff.

[ 05-19-2004, 03:46 AM: Message edited by: the new JR Jansen ]