Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 07-12-2000, 11:19 AM   #1
kazzar

I get an error when I run IWD. It says "An Assertion failed in ChDimm.cpp at line #582 Programmer says: Unable to Open BIF: data\GUImos.bif" Anyone know how to fix this? I have the patch but I think its in the wrong folder becuase the error message keeps coming up.
Old 07-12-2000, 07:19 PM   #2
slag-king

My first time to get on this forum, but been a fan of the Black Isle CRPG starting back to Fallout .

It sounds like it's a bad install. The GUI is the graphical user interface, so if you don't have the GUI working then the game doesn't work...period. I suggest you uninstall IWD and reinstall the game. I suggest you create a folder specifically for games. I have mine as C:\games\(whatever game company). That way I can always find my game files.

Hope this helps
Old 07-13-2000, 11:32 AM   #3
kdogrex2

What video card do you have?
I run 2 systems and I get that message a lot on the older system running a Diamond Monster Fusion card. My guess up until now has been that it's related to the way the game interacts with the 3dFX Voodoo Banshee chip. Make sure that you have 3d disabled in the configuration and see if that helps, and SAVE OFTEN!!!! I've lost a few games so far because it pukes as I'm trying to pick up that awesome flail or that scroll with the spell you've been looking for for half the game!
Other than that, I've found it to be an annoyance, but not too bad. Has anyone done a bug report on that to Interplay/Black Isle yet?
Old 07-13-2000, 01:52 PM   #4
kazzar

Thanks for the good info guys. The first reply hit the nail on the head. I uninstalled IWD last night and then installed again and it fired right up!! I didnt get far into the game, (just to the orcs and the caravan), but I freaking really like this game. Ive been a HUGE fan of AD&D for many years and have played alot of the PC games. (i.e. Darksun, Menzo, etc..) I this has got to be the best. I like the spells, characters, EVERYTHING!! Anyway, thanks again guys.