Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-31-2008, 09:09 PM   #1
Ladyzekke
Ironworks Atomic Moderator

Unhappy "Psychic" Sylvia Brown Needs to Stop

Stop going on Montel Williams, and stop collecting quite a decent amount of cash travelling around and doing her expensive seminars/fake readings. Seriously, I'm getting sick of all these fake TV psychics out there. Bunch of lying sacks, and Sylvia Brown is one of the worst of em.

Here's some clips that pretty much explains her schtick:

Doh! Doh! Montel help! Doh!

Blood flow and Mental Problems, together again:

It gets my blood boiling when people worried/suffering get lied to for ratings:

And it gets worse:

All I can say is, at least the Montel Williams show is on it's way out, so hopefully she will fade away right along with it!

Reality Show Recaps
Ladyzekke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 12:07 AM   #2
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

Default Re: "Psychic" Sylvia Brown Needs to Stop

I agree... I feel sorry for those who are taken advantage of by parasitic weasels like her. And I mean no offense to weasels out there, either...
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 03:16 AM   #3
Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster

Bow to the Meow

I call her the "4 pack a day" witch.

The Great Escape Studios - 2D/3D Modeling
www.tgeweb.com & Ziroc's Facebook Page
Visit My Flickr Photo Album
Ziroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 06:40 AM   #4
Iron Greasel
Fzoul Chembryl

Bungleau: What do you mean by "taken advantage of"? People choose to give her money, knowing that she is a psychic. She then takes the money, and gives the customers knowledge that she claims to come from the dead. That's what psychics do. If someone expects everything she says to be true, it's his own fault.
Old 02-01-2008, 09:49 AM   #5
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

It's a variation of a con game, and the victims of the con are taken advantage of. Just because people fall for the con doesn't mean they're not being taken advantage of.

If your mother/grandmother/aunt/whatever fell for it, would you tell her tough luck, or would you feel bad that she fell for it (and try to help her avoid falling for similar things in the future)?

I feel bad because people in dire straits (missing children, sick loved ones, etc.) are reaching out to *any* possible source of hope, and are being taken advantage of. That people *not* in dire straits fall for the same stuff... well, they're buying a variation of the same hope.
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 10:03 AM   #6
Firestormalpha
Knight of the Rose

Zelda Champion Snake Champion

IG, you're arguing the con-artists point. They'd say the same thing, "Hey, it's their problem. They chose to pay me."

If someone is dealing in falsehoods, then they are con's. Just because people fall for them of their on volition doesn't make them any more honest.

Con's are experts at spotting and or drawing out those who are vulnerable.

It's the equivalent of posing as an exterminator, going to a clients housed and spraying with air-freshener and collecting payment.

Off topic-ish: for some reason this brings to mind last night's/this morning's dream. Well the one part I can clearly recall being some kind of white/albino hienna (sp?). Not sure why.

"We are never to judge a philosophy by its abuse." - Augustine

"If you're wondering if God has a sense of humor, consider the platypus."

http://www.greaterthings.cbglades.com

Last edited by Firestormalpha; 02-01-2008 at 10:05 AM.
Firestormalpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 05:15 PM   #7
Iron Greasel
Fzoul Chembryl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungleau View Post
It's a variation of a con game, and the victims of the con are taken advantage of. Just because people fall for the con doesn't mean they're not being taken advantage of.

If your mother/grandmother/aunt/whatever fell for it, would you tell her tough luck, or would you feel bad that she fell for it (and try to help her avoid falling for similar things in the future)?

I feel bad because people in dire straits (missing children, sick loved ones, etc.) are reaching out to *any* possible source of hope, and are being taken advantage of. That people *not* in dire straits fall for the same stuff... well, they're buying a variation of the same hope.
If my mother/grandmother/aunt/whatever fell for it, I would feel very irritated at my mother/grandmother/aunt/whatever for believing silly things. I guess the emotional response would be rather like that to my mother/grandmother/aunt/whatever dumping all her money down a wishing well, or on lottery tickets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firestormalpha
It's the equivalent of posing as an exterminator, going to a clients housed and spraying with air-freshener and collecting payment.
Except that real exterminators do exist, while real psychics do not. Killing insects is possible, speaking with the dead is not. There is a distinct difference between buying something that can, in normal conditions, be expected to work, like broken electronics advertised as new; and buying something that has never worked for anyone and never will, like a toy lightsaber advertised as a real one.

If a moving company steals all your possessions, that's horrible. If you lose twenty euros by playing the classic game of find-the-cup-with-the -pea-under-it with a shady character on the street, that's too bad, maybe you'll be more careful next time. If you invest significant amounts of money on Alex Chiu's magnetic immortality rings, you deserve to lose it, idiot.
Old 02-01-2008, 05:22 PM   #8
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Hehe some are cringingly funny. I love how Montel tries to help her backtrack sometimes. I cannot stand Montel, he is the devil.

I must say though it seems youtube only has videos of her being wrong, I couldn't find any of her being right *shrug*. On tv. I have seen where she is bang-on correct sometimes, knowing info. she couldn't possibly know. But that said, it's on tv. so I don't know if it's all a setup or anything but it bears mentioning. Also, they say she never charges for locating missing persons or for giving info. about missing persons (saw that on Larry King).

Last edited by SpiritWarrior; 02-01-2008 at 05:27 PM.
SpiritWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 09:21 PM   #9
Ladyzekke
Ironworks Atomic Moderator

Spiritwarrior - I totally agree about the Montel Williams one where he tries to help her out. He's so into her it's not even funny. I don't know how many shows he's dedicated to her LOL. Matter of fact, these YouTube videos are the first ones I've seen where Sylvia was wrong. I don't watch Montel much, mostly on those obscure holidays or days when you are sick and couchbound LOL. So I loved these Youtube videos, they were hilarious and anger inspiring at the same time, and also something I did not know (especially about that boy that was abducted and Sylvia told the parents he was dead, when indeed he was not dead). Gawd, and to actually tell parents that no, their missing child isn't dead, no, but maybe, possibly...yes...they've been abducted into some sex slavery thing and shipped off to Asia somewhere. Seriously, that's pretty messed up to make that crap up and tell parents that (when indeed that also turned out to not be the case). I mean, I'd think it'd be much worse to think your kid was being tortured somewhere than just dead, but that's just me. Blah, what a slug LOL. And her extra long nails are creepy too, she so loves to show them off LOL. I bet she smokes those extra long ciggarettes, not just 100s, but 120s LOL.

Reality Show Recaps
Ladyzekke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 09:41 PM   #10
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Yeah, she is some form of undead I am certain. Perhaps mediumship is another label for necromancy where she comes from, but I suspect her body stopped requiring food and sleep a long time ago. IIRC she's on Montel like every wednesday. I can't stand to listen to Montel much. He makes the Tyra show look tolerable. Thankfully, I also only have to endure his show only on those rare occasions that I watch tv in the morning. He's on at like 10 or 11am (right where he belongs!).

He is another one who is on my "to do" list of most hated people btw, you remember, the one where I said i'd like to fire a harpoon at from the cover of the studio audience and hope for the best.