Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 04-13-2006, 12:43 AM   #1
Rockstar
Zhentarim Guard

hey everyone,

i'm going to solo a dwarven battlerager through the whole saga but have a slight dual wielding dilema for the end of the game.

the start of the game is sussed with dual wielding stonefire and frost band.

late game will be axe of unyielding +5... however, i have a tough choice to make in regards to my offhand.

* The flail of ages +5: gives THACO +5, plus +10 damage (from elements), %33 chance to slow target, +5% Magic Resistance
damage: 7-12
22 STR belt: gives +4 THACO bonus and +10 damage bonus
potential net damage: 27-32

* Crom Frayer +5: gives +5 THACO and instant kill against some creatures
damage: 5-8
25 STR: gives +7 THACO bonus and +14 damage bonus
potential net damage: 19-22

this arguement seems to clearly spell out flail of ages but flail of ages has free action, meaning i cannot be hasted... a major punch in the guts. Any other suggestions for a primary off weapon. I will just use crom fayer as a side weapon for its instant kill ability
Rockstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 02:25 AM   #2
True_Moose
Gold Dragon

Stonefire and Frostreaver is what I'm assuming you're saying for SoA. If you want the AoU in the main hand, Crom Faeyr is your best bet. Don't forget you also get several attacks with your main hand which are made better by Crom Faeyr. FoA should stay in the mainhand if possible, so I would advise CF.

BUT how about a different tact?

Axe of the Unyielding in the off-hand with Flail of Ages in the main hand. Just a thought. This gives you tons of damage in the main hand, plus you get the con, AC and regen bonuses from the Axe. By the time you get it, the Vorpal effect isn't the most wondrous thing in the world anyways.
Old 04-13-2006, 04:45 AM   #3
Andraste
Manshoon

Since you're starting with axes, I'd recommend picking up Azuredge - as a solo, you'll have money to spare, It works so well against vampires that it's funny. See about halfway down at:

http://www.ironworksforum.com/ubb/no...=025244#000002

introducing Ethel
Andraste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 10:50 AM   #4
Rockstar
Zhentarim Guard

ok i think i'll change the question judging from the new opinions i have discovered.

What is the best dual wielding weapon combination using the axe of the unyielding in either hand? remember this is a solo character

i am open to any suggestions. What about blackrazor vs crom fayer?

also, does the free action from the FoA cancel the effect of improved haste? If so i would only use this weapon when i have run out of imp hastes from the ring of gax.

[ 04-13-2006, 10:58 AM: Message edited by: Rockstar ]
Old 04-13-2006, 02:57 PM   #5
True_Moose
Gold Dragon

I have no idea about the Free Action from the FoA. If it doesn't cancel however, FoA is probably the best weapon in the game. Combine with AoU...wow. Plus, you can dual FoA and Frostreaver in BG2, which is better than Stonefire (plenty of creatures have fire resistance.)

If you want to go with something else, the ones that immediately spring to mind are Storm Star, Blackrazor and the Answerer. My advice? Have all of them . Blackrazor is an amazing weapon, the only strike against it is it's +3 nature, which is pretty low for ToB. Storm Star is IMHO woefully undervalued, and in terms of mobs, priceless. The Answerer is great for shutting up mages, and if you grab a HLA of Resist Magic, and some other MR increasing items, you should have no problems with mages (who are probably amongst the toughest foes for a solo warrior.)
Old 04-13-2006, 03:26 PM   #6
Lord
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Quote:
Originally posted by True_Moose:
I have no idea about the Free Action from the FoA. If it doesn't cancel however, FoA is probably the best weapon in the game. Combine with AoU...wow. Plus, you can dual FoA and Frostreaver in BG2, which is better than Stonefire (plenty of creatures have fire resistance.)
FoA cancels haste and improved haste. You can sort of bypass this by cheating: equip the boots of speed after equipping the flail (or is it the other way around?), and you'll have free action and haste at the same time. I think it goes away whenever you load a new area, however.

"No, I only lied about being a thief."
Lord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 06:21 PM   #7
True_Moose
Gold Dragon

But the Boots of Speed only increase the movement rate, rather than the other effects of haste. The other thing to keep in mind is that FoA has no effect on GWW attacks.
True_Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 08:26 PM   #8
Rockstar
Zhentarim Guard

ok i've decided that i'll have the flail of ages as a quick switch weapon, but i'll not use it as a primary weapon.

What would be better?

Main: blackrazer off: axe+5
or

main: axe+5 off: crom fayer
Old 04-13-2006, 08:30 PM   #9
Lord
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

main: axe +5
off: cf

make sure you have kangaxx's ring so that you don't miss out from the regeneration offered by blackrazor.

[ 04-13-2006, 08:31 PM: Message edited by: Lord ]

"No, I only lied about being a thief."
Lord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 09:43 PM   #10
True_Moose
Gold Dragon

I second Lord's opinion. In terms of raw damage, that's your best bet.
True_Moose is offline   Reply With Quote