Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Entertainment (Movies, TV Shows and Books/Comics)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 08-17-2004, 12:18 AM   #1
Jaradu
Silver Dragon

Bloody Pingu Champion
Recently, I have been getting into Star Trek quite a bit. I've been watching three versions of it: Voyager, The Next Generation, and Enterprise.

I'd have to say that I prefer 'The Next Generation' the most - IMO it has the best characters, storylines, and special effects.

So what other Star Treks are there? Which one does the infamous 'Spock' star in?

I never thought I'd get into Star Trek, as it is sometimes assosciated with "freaks" , but give it a chance and you might like it [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]

BTW, Jean Luke Picard rocks - great mediator!
Jaradu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2004, 06:41 AM   #2
Dreamer128
Dracolisk

Spock is from the Original Series, to which TNG was the sequel. [img]smile.gif[/img] Personally, I like DS9 the best. It has the best storyline and characters. I'm starting to get into Enterprise as well though, which is good in it's own way. And yes, Picard is the man. "There are FOUR lights!"

[ 08-17-2004, 06:42 AM: Message edited by: Dreamer128 ]
Dreamer128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2004, 07:33 AM   #3
Bozos of Bones
Apophis

Deep Space 9 is my favorite. Picard and Sisko are the best captains ever, and I'm quite fond of the theater actors in the series(Picard, Data, Sisko...) because these guys really know how to captivate a screen. Favorite characters ever on Star Trek would be Picard, Sisko, Data, Bashir and Tuvok in that order.
Old 08-17-2004, 07:41 AM   #4
Dreamer128
Dracolisk

What I didn't like about Sisko was his link with the prophets. I know it was an essential part of the storyline, but he could always count on them to come to his rescue in crisis situations. A fleet of Dominion ships coming through the wormhole?(episode: Sacrifice of Angels) We'll just let the prophets destroy them.. all 6000..
Picard won battles because he was brilliant, Sisko because of Deus Ex Machina.

[ 08-17-2004, 07:42 AM: Message edited by: Dreamer128 ]
Old 08-17-2004, 08:02 AM   #5
Bozos of Bones
Apophis

Yes, that was a bit of a Gauda there, but in the other mass battles(DS9 is full of them) Sisko won by his own brilliance, as long as the enemy wasn't near the wormhole(the Prophets only hepled twice out of some dozen battles). Imagine how cool a fight would look like with Voyager, Enterprise 1701-E and Defiant pounding on some Dominion fleet/Borg ship/whatever(no Prophets/Voyager future technology and other uber-munchkin cheese gadgets)!
Old 08-17-2004, 08:30 AM   #6
Dreamer128
Dracolisk

Heh.. Voyager is technically nothing more then a science vessel. Defeating every race in the known universe with that ship is quite an impressive achievement
Old 08-17-2004, 10:28 AM   #7
Morgeruat
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by Bozos of Bones:
Yes, that was a bit of a Gauda there, but in the other mass battles(DS9 is full of them) Sisko won by his own brilliance, as long as the enemy wasn't near the wormhole(the Prophets only hepled twice out of some dozen battles). Imagine how cool a fight would look like with Voyager, Enterprise 1701-E and Defiant pounding on some Dominion fleet/Borg ship/whatever(no Prophets/Voyager future technology and other uber-munchkin cheese gadgets)!
They did have the Defiant, and the Enterprise (was it E or F at that point?) (as well as Admiral Janeway's ship) fighting off the Borg in First Contact, quite impressive, although the Defiant was downplayed, and I was rather annoyed that they let it get trashed.

I still look back at the Pickard manuever and smile (warp jumping in the middle of a battle for a split second to create a "ghost" ship long enough to blow up your enemy.

oh, slightly off topic, but season 1 of the Original series will be released on DVD at the end of August, and seasons 2 and 3 by X-mas, so if you want to see where Trek came from, get them (or rent them and spend a few days devouring them). (or you could watch the movies, Wrath of Khan is undeniably the best, with 3, and 4 Search for Spock, and Journey Home respectively being the next best ones)
Old 08-17-2004, 10:51 AM   #8
Target
Red Dragon

I think Picard was the best actor ever in Star trek, he's great. Thought Sisko was a bit...er...wooden, guess I was hoping for more after seeing Picard. (Dam right there are 4 lights!!)
I did enjoy TNG and DS9 (although the first few seasons of DS9 were not the best, got better when Sisko list his hair!) Also enjoyed Voyager, but not as much as TNG and DS9.
But I've just not been able to get into Enterprise for some reason.

If you can keep your head when all around are loosing theirs...you probably haven’t grasped the situation!!
Target is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2004, 11:17 AM   #9
Dreamer128
Dracolisk

[quote]Originally posted by Morgeruat:
Quote:
Originally posted by Bozos of Bones:
[qb]
oh, slightly off topic, but season 1 of the Original series will be released on DVD at the end of August, and seasons 2 and 3 by X-mas, so if you want to see where Trek came from, get them (or rent them and spend a few days devouring them). (or you could watch the movies, Wrath of Khan is undeniably the best, with 3, and 4 Search for Spock, and Journey Home respectively being the next best ones)
I agree that Wrath of Khan is probaby the best OS movie, but I think The Undiscovered Country (6) deserves a second place on that list. (Spock:"They're dying Jim" Kirk: "Let them die!"). If you look at the whole list of Star trek movies, First Contact definately deserves a place in the top three. Everything that came after that (Insurrection - with that horrible 'joystick scene' and Nemesis) was pretty bad though. Target: the Enterprise storyline doesn't really start until the second/third season, so it takes quite a while to get into. Tenacity will be rewarded, though [img]smile.gif[/img]

[ 08-17-2004, 11:17 AM: Message edited by: Dreamer128 ]
Old 08-17-2004, 11:31 AM   #10
Xen
Symbol of Moradin

I think that TNG is the best. Jean Luc Picard song
Xen is offline   Reply With Quote