Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Baldurs Gate & Tales of the Sword Coast
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 03-14-2003, 11:03 AM   #1
Armen
Symbol of Cyric

i thought i was a bit spoiled on the early part of BG1 from starting a few times, reading the walkthroughs, forums etc. but apparently not!

i've started a new druid to play through BG1 (& SoA/ToB) and have recruited other outdoorsy NPCs - i'm currently whizzing through the 'up to Nashkel mines and a bit' sections before i settle down to newish adventuring and last night went . . .

(minor spoiler)

... to the gnoll fortress to rescue Dynaheir - I was pushed for time (in real life) and then i ran out of arrows so i was resisting saving to minimise respawning so i just full on charged the place - it was great! minsc was the star of the show and developed a lot of character / personality for me as he carved through the throngs while the rest of party tried to help by picking off anyone that broke through

i've probably 'done' the fortress half a dozen times but it was really exciting

and minsc is never going to use a bow as long as he lives [img]smile.gif[/img]

and that "stealth and reveal the enemies one at a time and pick them off" technique is way overrated [img]smile.gif[/img] [img]smile.gif[/img]

aghhh! i haven't got time to start playing this game again . . .
Armen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2003, 12:32 PM   #2
Butterfingers
Drizzt Do'Urden

Minsc going berserk and being sent off by himself can make minsc-meat out of Gnolls. Scary indeed.
Butterfingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2003, 06:53 AM   #3
karlosovic
Drizzt Do'Urden

Quote:
Originally posted by Armen:
minsc is never going to use a bow as long as he lives [img]smile.gif[/img]
Amen to that brother !
Minsc has ALWAYS been my favorite character in either game. unless Im playing an evil party, Minsc is always in my party, whether it's BG1 or BG2. His standard gameplan is the biggest 2-handed sword I can find/buy/steal for him, the best armour, and "inspiring everyone by rushing BLIIIINDLY on !!"

The gnoll fortress in particular is just a beautiful case of the mad, headlong tank rush, frontal assault. The level was designed to be rushed. the quest was designed to be rushed. A brave but psychotic berzerker on a mission to save his woman from monsters in a mountain fortress !! Anyone who doesn't use rush tactics on this one has no idea of roleplaying.
Old 03-24-2003, 02:50 PM   #4
Lewzbel
The Magister

I actually used diversionary tactics on the stronghold. I snuck my thief in to add Dynaheir to my party. My only other character was Imoen. So Imoen approaced the gnolls while my thief and Dynaheir were waiting in the pit. Imoen lured the gnolls away, and then the other two just walked out untouched. Eventually they had to break through the line of gnolls, but Imoen had them so spread out it was no problem. You gotta love those clever, sneaky thieves.
Lewzbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2003, 03:34 AM   #5
Flaming Fist Enforcer
Drow Warrior

The reason Minsc chopped the gnolls in no time is because he's a ranger and gnolls are his racial enemies. Most likely because they captured Dynaheir.