Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 12-12-2001, 03:34 PM   #11
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Cloudbringer:
Maybe it's a good time to remind people not to just post "I'm bored" stuff and more 'spammy' threads for a while? Seems to me we should respect the work Z is doing for us by NOT filling up his storage space too fast. [img]smile.gif[/img]

AMEN TO THAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I do my best to be as lenient as possible here, but if I see many more of these "I'm BORRRRED" or "I'm depressed" or "What'll I DOOOOO" posts, I'm liable to make violent use of a virtual rock.

It's getting to be where I hate coming around here.

-Sazerac
Old 12-12-2001, 03:52 PM   #12
Jerome
Knight of the Rose

quote:
Originally posted by Sazerac:

It's getting to be where I hate coming around here.

-Sazerac

It's not that bad yet, is it Saz?
Old 12-12-2001, 05:45 PM   #13
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Jerome:

It's not that bad yet, is it Saz?

How many posts have you seen me make here in the past week, other than moderating ones?

-Saz
Old 12-12-2001, 05:51 PM   #14
Jerome
Knight of the Rose

quote:

How many posts have you seen me make here in the past week, other than moderating ones?

-Saz

Point taken.
Not that i'm happy to see it happening.
Old 12-12-2001, 05:54 PM   #15
Neb
Account deleted by Request

quote:

I do my best to be as lenient as possible here, but if I see many more of these "I'm BORRRRED" or "I'm depressed" or "What'll I DOOOOO" posts, I'm liable to make violent use of a virtual rock.

I can understand the "I'm bored" posts, but cheering up people when they're depressed and helping them when they don't know what to do is what has made me enjoy IW, of those other forums I've visited, few are actually so friendly that people will help each other with such things...... Anyway, can't Ziroc just delete some of the REALLY old posts? Like the first 50 pages of the GD or something? Noone ever goes back to read all that old stuff anyway, at least, I doubt it.
Old 12-12-2001, 06:19 PM   #16
Arvon
Unicorn

This is one of the better communities...The interaction is interesting and to be encouraged.
Maybe the old stuff can be archived, off line, and retrieved if really needed, or even trashed...Does any one really ever go back? Just give warning and anyone can copy what they want to their own computers.

53.7% of all statistics are made up
Old 12-12-2001, 06:25 PM   #17
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

Sorry, guys...I probably came off way heavy-handed on that; suffering from allergies and all today (not my best of days). But it's true that I haven't been around here as much anymore. There just seems to be a load of "dum-te-dum-YAWWWWN" type posts going on right now. Maybe everyone's bored, I don't know. But it seems there should be SOMETHING worthwhile to talk about, yes?

It just gets tiresome...and yes, depressing...to have to wade through page after page of drivel to find one decent posting. It feels sometimes like a swamp in here.

Is it the holidays? Has that got everyone depressed? Snap out of it! I for one refuse to let one single day in the year ruin an entire month for me. I take whatever enjoyment I can from the season and leave the rest to whoever wants to deal with it.

Is it classes? Is everyone's schedule and final exams stressing everyone out so much that everyone is down because of that?

Is it illness? I can definitely understand that; I've been fighting allergies for the past two days, and it's no picnic (and I certainly haven't been very much fun to be around lately either).

Sometimes I think this forum needs a good enema. [img]graemlins/wow.gif[/img]

Cheers,

"And all my days are trances, and all my nightly dreams,
Are where thy grey eye glances, and where thy footstep gleams,
In what ethereal dances, by what eternal streams..."
Old 12-12-2001, 06:26 PM   #18
Hesperex

...what can I say here ..hmm well I dunoo so I will just say .... [img]smile.gif[/img]

Old 12-12-2001, 09:17 PM   #19
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

In answer to the 'trash the early stuff' comments

NO WAY!

What you may not realize is that there is GOOD stuff posted and it's precisely THAT stuff we want to see and MANY of us go back to those 'first 50 pages or so' to find interesting or useful threads.

Haven't you seen me, or Lady Z or Memnoch bump things from way back on page 100 or more? My html thread was there a while ago, so was LadyZ's question thread and several others that many people were happy to see re-surface!

Ironworks is a very active place and just axing her history is NOT a solution. Yes, maybe dumping select threads (the "ho hum.. shall we talk about my fingernails, I'm so bored") threads would be the answer. BUT who the hell has time to go and DECIDE which of all those things needs keeping and who would want to? Z certainly doesn't and in the end, it's his call on what is and isn't worth storing.

No, the answer is to practice some SELF-CONTROL and not post entire threads about what stick you picked up to poke the wall with while you yawned at the board being slow! Or perhaps the "gee I'm not feeling happy but don't know what to do and it's probably something I ate" stuff could go to pm? Now, I sure agree that one of the things that makes IW special is our willingess to listen and to help each other! I have always tried to do that for people. Let's just be careful of posting trivial things that eat memory but don't really mean much to anyone because we feel like posting and don't really have anything in mind when we do. That's what we're saying!

You know.. if you are bored (anyone out there!) try reading some threads back on page 100+ of this forum... you'll find some gems, I can promise you that!

CloudHistorian
Old 12-12-2001, 11:08 PM   #20
Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster

Bow to the Meow

quote:
Originally posted by SookmaCook:
800 mb?? EIGHT HUNDRED MEG??? Woh. that is BIG. How big a hard drive do u have?? itd have to be big to put up with just ONE SITE taking up 800MB!!!
I wouldnt be able to keep that on my 6Gb Harddrive... u wouldnt want that small a section taking up that much room with less than about a 10Gb HArd drive, and 5Gb RAM, +your operating system...
and i dont know ANYONE with that big a hard drive...

800MB isn't big at all, our server I believe has a 20 gig HD.. I need to see if it's getting full, some people have said some posts are not showing up. I DID get 2 email 'warnings' from my forum saying I ran out of space, but It's a bug.. because I posted just fine.. weird.

The Great Escape Studios - 2D/3D Modeling
www.tgeweb.com & Ziroc's Facebook Page
Visit My Flickr Photo Album