Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Baldurs Gate & Tales of the Sword Coast
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 07-02-2005, 01:27 AM   #1
thecarrotdude
Zhentarim Guard

mages suck, in this game mages r no good, they die like in 2 sec against a character with a bow and arrows, is there anyone who disagrees????????????????????????????????????????? ????????????????

"Excuse me, I believe you have my stapler..."
- Milton Waddams
thecarrotdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2005, 07:09 AM   #2
Lavindathar
Harper

Me.

I'm assuming that your a low level character, just starting. Mages do have low hit points, and do die quite easily. Thats why you need tanks to go out in front, taking the damage.

Mages are very good at giving out damage via their spells, and also buffering your own party.

Don't write them off, because they do become very powerful!
Old 07-02-2005, 07:41 AM   #3
bgf
Elite Waterdeep Guard

And since BG is a low-level affair, that handy SLEEP spell can turn the tide in several encounters - since low level monsters have poor saves. For instance, in all the outdoor areas where you get jumped by 6 or 7 Hobgoblin archers, you can usually put most of them to sleep and mop up what's left (as long as you have time to get the spell off before taking one in the eye...). That can save a lot of hit points for your tanks while they try to close on those archers, and spare you a good bit of healing potions to use against the tougher foes.
bgf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2005, 07:53 AM   #4
Firestormalpha
Knight of the Rose

Zelda Champion Snake Champion
Errr..... no character class sucks if you know how to use them. Unless maybe it's a bard, then yeah, it kinda does suck. Though I've heard the some of the bard kits in BG2 can be quite fun.

"We are never to judge a philosophy by its abuse." - Augustine

"If you're wondering if God has a sense of humor, consider the platypus."

http://www.greaterthings.cbglades.com
Firestormalpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2005, 02:10 PM   #5
Lord
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

If you start out as a mage, you're going to have a lot of trouble in the beginning. You've probably got only 4 HP and your 2 spells are your most important means of survival. That is why it is extremely important to pick up Imoen and Xzar and Montaron even if you're running a good or neutral party. This way, you won't have to run away from any wolves (which I remember gave me a lot of trouble the first time I played). Imoen's bow-and-arrows will help a lot.
A mage also needs protection. That is why your mage shouldn't be the party leader, or else (s)he will be at the front of the group and will get attacked first by most creatures. Keep them in the middle of the party and test out different formations where they can be protected. If you right click on any of the formations in the lower right corner of the screen (multiple characters must be selected to view these options), you will find a larger variety of formations to chose from.
One of the best protection spells for a mage in the game is mirror image. It gives you a chance to cast offensive spells while another creature attacks you.
BTW, some great offensive spells to try are magic missile (the obvious one), flame arrow (deals out great damage), web (cast it away from the party, lure creatures into the web, and then attack from a range with slings, darts, arrows, and spells), melf's acid arrows (not a great spell in BG2, but this is a killer in BG1. The gradual damage over time can really render attacking mages harmless).
There are plenty of spells to chose from. Don't forget to scribe scrolls by right clicking on the spells and chosing the option to write the spell into your spell book. One problem that I had when I started off was that I didn't know how to make my mage memorize new spells. Simply click on the unmemorized spell on the right side of your spellbook and then rest for 8 hours straight. To un-memorize a spell, just left-click on it on the left side of your spell book. Hopefully, you've figured all this out so far .
Good luck.

"No, I only lied about being a thief."
Lord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2005, 03:35 PM   #6
thecarrotdude
Zhentarim Guard

okay, okay, i'm talking about the mages you fight in the game, they are the easiest to kill. Those ettercap things are harder to kill. I usually have an ranger and i he uses a bow and arrows and he can disable the mages spell and deal the mage damage, so the mage is basically useless, since the only thing they can do and really do some damage, is spells, but if they can be disabled so easily, then they really arent that good.

"Excuse me, I believe you have my stapler..."
- Milton Waddams
thecarrotdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2005, 04:11 PM   #7
Firestormalpha
Knight of the Rose

Uhhh, first how far are you into the game?

Second, don't complain that they die easy, just be happy they aren't mages from BG2

Old 07-02-2005, 10:50 PM   #8
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Lord:
~~ melf's acid arrows (not a great spell in BG2, ~~
Not true.
Dundee Slaytern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2005, 11:41 PM   #9
Firestormalpha
Knight of the Rose

Quote:
Originally posted by Dundee Slaytern:
quote:
Originally posted by Lord:
~~ melf's acid arrows (not a great spell in BG2, ~~
Not true. [/QUOTE]Depending on what you're taking down in BG2 they can be incredibly useful.

Old 07-03-2005, 06:18 AM   #10
Lavindathar
Harper

Trolls for one!