Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 10-22-2003, 11:54 PM   #1
Nanobyte
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

While doing a psychology portfolio a few weeks back, I came across this article in the August issue of Psychology Today. Just a warning, this might be a little lengthy.

Why We Do It

False Beliefs
Many procrasinators are convinced that they work better under pressure, or they'll feel better about tackling the work later. But tomorrow never comes and last-minute work is often low quality. In spite of what they may believe, "Procrastinators generally don't do well under pressure," says Ferrari. The idea that time pressure improves performance is perhaps the most common myth among procrastinators.

Fear of Failure
"The main reason people procrasinate is fear," says Neil Fiore, Ph.D., author of The Now Habit. Procrastinators fear they'll fall short because they don't have the requisite talent or skills. "They get overwhelmed and they're afraid they'll look stupid." According to Ferrari, "Procrastinators would rather be seen as lacking in effort than lacking in ability." If you flunk a calculus exam, better to loudly blame it on the half-hour study blitz, than admit to yourself that you could have used a tutor the entire semester.

Perfectionism
Procrastinators tend to be perfectionists--and they're in overdrive because they're insecure. People who do their best because they want to win don't procrastinate; but those who feel they must be perfect to please others often put things off. These people fret that "No one will love me if everything I do isn't utter genius." Such perfectionism is at the heart of many an unfinished novel.

Self-Control
Impulsivity may seem diametrically opposed to procrastination, but both can be part of a larger problem: self-control. People who are impulsive may not be able to prioritize intentions, says Pychyl. So, while writing a term paper you break for a snack and see a spill in the refrigerator, which leads to cleaning the entire kitchen.

Punitive Parenting
Children of authoritarian parents are prone to procrastinate. Pychyl speculates that children with such parents postpone choices because their decisions are so frequently criticized--or made for them. Alternatively, the child may procrastinate as a form of rebellion. Refusing to study can be an angry--if self-defeating--message to Mom and Dad.

Thrill-Seeking
Some procrastinators enjoy the adrenaline "rush." These people find perverse satisfaction when they finish their taxes minutes before midnight on April 15 and dash to the post office just before it closes.

Task-Related Anxieties
Procrastination can be associated with specific situations. "Humans avoid the difficult and boring," says Fiore. Even the least procrastination-prone individuals put off taxes and visits to the dentist.

Unclear Expectations
Ambiguous directions and vague priorities increase procrastination. The boss who asserts that everything is high priority and due yesterday is more likely to be kept waiting. Supervisors who insist on "prioritizing the Jones project and using the Smith plan as a model" see greater productivity.

Depression
The blues can lead to or exacerbate procrastination--and vice versa. Several symptoms of depression feed procrastination. Decision-making is another problem. Because depressed people can't feel much pleasure, all options seem equally bleak, which makes getting started difficult and pointless.

A short break, from typing [img]smile.gif[/img]

How to Better Yourself

Never say "I must":
"People get stuck between their inner voices and use ineffective ways of motivation," says Neil Fiore. One voice says, "I should," another says, "I don't want to." Fiore recommends that instead you recognize you have a choice. Realizing that you have selected your goals helps shut down the conflict between "should" and "want." Sure, you don't have to study for the bar exam--but choosing not to could seriously crimp your plan to become an attorney.

Set realistic goals:
Resolutions like "I want to get in shape," often fail, but plans like "I will run three times a week at 7 a.m.," are more achievable. Break tasks down into small, manageable steps. When the house looks like a garbage dump, cleaning it may seem insurmountable. But tidying the bathroom for 15 minutes isn't so bad.

Schedule time off:
Fiore found that graduate students who completed dissertations in two years or less allowed themselves time for relaxation. Those who took three or more years tried to spend every minute researching and writing. They rebelled against the self-imposed drudgery, rendering themselves less effective in the long term.

Fight misguided impulses:
Don't succumb to myths such as "pressure improves performance." Set up a schedule that includes short-, medium- and long-term goals to avoid leaving everything until the last minute.

Be selective:
If you tend toward perfectionism, only do your absolute best when it matters. Every e-mail you send needn't be exquisitely composed; a book proposal, however, should be.

Please yourself first:
The more you cultivate a sense of self-worth in areas outside the procrastination-prone domain (usually work or school), the less likely you will be to postpone tasks. Remember, no judgement of your work is ever the final verdict on you.

Seek professional help:
If procrastination is putting your study habits on hold, cognitive-behavioral therapy can be effective.

Hand cramp, hand cramp
Well, that's all. I hope some of you manage to get something out of this [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-23-2003, 01:02 AM   #2
Jorath Calar
Harper

Yeah, I'm going to read it later...

Old 10-23-2003, 01:40 AM   #3
GForce

Be selective:
If you tend toward perfectionism, only do your absolute best when it matters. Every e-mail you send needn't be exquisitely composed; a book proposal, however, should be.

Please yourself first:
The more you cultivate a sense of self-worth in areas outside the procrastination-prone domain (usually work or school), the less likely you will be to postpone tasks. Remember, no judgement of your work is ever the final verdict on you.

I like the two above. Thanks Nanobyte. Are you studying to be or are you a bonafide psychologist?

Old 10-23-2003, 05:01 AM   #4
Azred
Drow Priestess

Question Mark

Fascinating article; I'll have to find the magazine and read it...someday. [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Seriously, I have had (according to Belle I still have) "time management issues" in my life. The wording of the artice is farily generalized, but I did have a very controlling/overbearing grandmother, am highly intelligent (subsequently set high expectations for myself), used to be much more insecure, etc. Maturity with age and self-examination has helped, though, and I continue to make improvements as time goes by.

Thanks for the heads-up [i]vis-a-vis[b] the article, Nanobyte. [img]graemlins/awesomework.gif[/img]

note: this post is gramatically perfect...I expect nothing less from myself. [img]tongue.gif[/img]

No matter how thinly you slice it, it's still bologna.
Old 10-23-2003, 05:08 AM   #5
Grojlach
Zartan

Interesting read, Nanobyte. [img]smile.gif[/img]

[ 10-23-2003, 05:37 AM: Message edited by: Grojlach ]
Old 10-23-2003, 05:16 AM   #6
The Hierophant
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

This article's writer irritated me at first with his or her vague generalizations about 'procrstinators'. They insinuated that 'they' are a homogenous group that are defined by not fitting the writer's preconception that methodical hyper-diligence is in fact something worth attaining and maintaining.

But the bit that really pissed(pisses) me off is where they take it upon themselves to 'offer' suggestions on how to 'better' myself. Narcissistic bastards. This is just more self-righteous, managerialist 'achievementism'. The title may as well have been 'people whose lifestyles do not fit in nicely with corporate demhumanist 'human resourcifying' are losers, here is how to not be a loser, you f**king loser'. Kill, smash, burn and destroy it to hell and back!

[ 10-23-2003, 06:46 AM: Message edited by: The Hierophant ]
Old 10-23-2003, 05:35 AM   #7
Grojlach
Zartan

Quote:
Originally posted by The Hierophant:
This article's writer irritated me at first with his or her vague generalizations about 'procrstinators'. They insinuated that 'they' are a homogenous group that are defined by not fitting the writer's preconception that methodical hyper-diligence is in fact something worth attaining and maintaining.

But where they really pissed(pisses) me off is where they take it upon themselves to 'offer' suggestions on how to 'improve myself. Narcissistic bastards. This is just more self-righteous, managerialist 'achievementism'. The title may as well have been 'people whose lifestyles do not fit in nicely with corporate demhumanist 'human resourcifying' are losers, here is how to not be a loser, you f**king loser'. Kill, smash, burn and destroy it to hell and back!
Wait, there were actually methods of improvement mentioned in the article, other than some useless cliché-solutions? I must have missed those...

Really, it's not worth getting pissed off about, Hierophant. While the description of the symptoms rang some bells of familiarity in the back of my mind, the "solutions" are rather predictable and simplistic.
Old 10-23-2003, 06:02 AM   #8
Jorath Calar
Harper

Exactly... it's like saying, "Are you lazy?... well, don't...".

I actually had read this, my sister had this issue and I picked it up because of the Simpsons cover... [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-23-2003, 09:11 AM   #9
cloud ff7 38
User suspended until [Nov26]

I procrastinate because im lazy and I usually dont care.
Old 10-23-2003, 10:50 AM   #10
Zuvio
Gold Dragon

Inquery: I'm too lazy to look up the definition of the word procrastinate so I'm asking it here. Am I procrastinating?