Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Entertainment (Movies, TV Shows and Books/Comics)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 02-08-2004, 01:22 PM   #1
Jaradu
Silver Dragon

Bloody Pingu Champion
It's been quite a while since I've read any Harry Potter books or seen the films, so I can only think of two examples:

-Alohamora spell: Unlocks any lock

-Polyjuice Potion: Transform into anybody (even if they aren't human)

I'm sure there are more unbalanced spells. Just think of the havoc an evil wizard could cause with those spells at his disposal! And with spells like those flying around, there would be evil wizards. Any thoughts?
Jaradu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2004, 04:26 PM   #2
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

<font color=skyblue>Since it is a children's story, written from a woman that did not take time to study the techincal and justifiable methods of spellcraft...I let it slide. </font>
Larry_OHF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2004, 04:32 PM   #3
Jaradu
Silver Dragon

Bloody Pingu Champion
Point taken, I'll just stand in the corner, thinking up more random criticism [img]smile.gif[/img]
Jaradu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2004, 05:13 PM   #4
Spelca
Emerald Dragon

Quote:
Originally posted by Jaradu:
It's been quite a while since I've read any Harry Potter books or seen the films, so I can only think of two examples:

I'm pretty sure I've read somewhere about bewitched doors that can't be opened with the alohomora spell. Why would they otherwise make knives that can open (any) door? [img]smile.gif[/img]
Quote:

I'm sure there are more unbalanced spells. Just think of the havoc an evil wizard could cause with those spells at his disposal! And with spells like those flying around, there would be evil wizards. Any thoughts?
Actually, the polyjuice potion won't work on animals. It failed miserably with Hermione. She just turned into a very hairy person, hehe. [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 02-08-2004, 09:42 PM   #5
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

The thing about magic in Harry Potter is that there always seem to be a countermagic. Like the wards on Hogwarts that prevent... erm... what was the term again? For teleporting?

Likewise, although not explicitly stated, it should be safe to assume that there exists magic that can divine/dispel polymorphed people.

And besides... Polyjuice is suppose to be restricted magic. They did it illegally.

Remember the self-defense classes? Well... at least the theory, not what happened.

Heck. Even Harry's mother's love was a ward against what was otherwise, an almost unstoppable curse.

One of the reasons why it is banned. It being too hard to protect against.
Dundee Slaytern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2004, 01:23 AM   #6
GokuZool
Lord Ao

Quote:

It is (children's) fiction remember. It's not meant to be deep.

Anyway, there's probably some "Hocus-pocus-antialohamora" spell which counteracts it or something. [img]tongue.gif[/img]

[ 02-09-2004, 01:24 AM: Message edited by: GokuZool ]
GokuZool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2004, 07:24 AM   #7
Link
Jack Burton

Apparating, Dundee. The word is apparating [img]smile.gif[/img]
Link is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2004, 03:41 PM   #8
Tancred
White Dragon

The doors in the Ministry of Magic were unopenable by Alohomora, and they destroyed Sirius' knife.
Old 02-21-2004, 01:39 AM   #9
SecretMaster
Apophis

Give J.K. Rowling a break. She wasn't a hardcore D&D fan or went into technicalities and didn't spend years making up language. Its a childrens book for the love of people.
SecretMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2004, 07:29 PM   #10
Sythe
Ra

Who do you think can win

Irenicus or Voldemort?

Sorry I couldn't resist [img]graemlins/hehe.gif[/img]