Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-13-2003, 05:50 PM   #1
Sir Kenyth
Fzoul Chembryl

I just had an eye opener. My youngest brother wanted to be a police officer. To get his foot in the door he was starting as a prison guard for the Westville Indiana Correctional Facility. Two weeks after training, he quit. Why? The reality of prisons is frightening. He had to work night shift to start out. He also got to start out in the disciplinary barracks. That's where the naughty boys go to be deprived of pleasurable passtimes. They locked him into an open room building. That's right folks this place has no money to install bars! He is the only one, no partner! They're short staffed and have no partners to give him! He is not allowed to carry ANY weapons! No gun, no tear gas, no night stick! Nothing except a radio! So here he is, alone, unarmed, and locked in with over 140 prisoners who are prone to misbehave with no bars between them and him! I don't beleive he had the benefit of popularity either! He gets slammed into the wall constantly, with no recourse, by any criminal feeling frisky. He gets to watch drugs, booze, money and cigarrettes circulate freely. It's then that he comes to the horrible realization. The prisoners are running this prison once you get inside the walls! He's a figure head! A joke! A whipping boy! He has no power and is compeletely at their mercy! As if that isn't enough. Someone he knows who is a nurse there and has a big mouth flaps her gums about how he is dating Melissa, who is black and of which she doesn't approve. Apparently, the wrong person is within earshot. The next thing you know, word gets around and he is cornered by a gang of skin heads who give him hell and luckily nothing else! By this time he needs to drink to get to sleep at night and dreads the thought of going to work. What do they compensate this job where you put your life and health on the line every day and sign a waiver so you can't sue? A whole ten dollars an hour! Hoo-boy! Where do I sign up! The guard with the highest seniority has less than a year in! Talk about turnover! What kind of crap is this! No wonder criminals never reform! Prisons without bars? No guards? I'd never have guessed! What do you all think of this? I think it's an outrage!
Old 01-13-2003, 05:57 PM   #2
Melusine
Dracolisk

Wow! Well I agree with you that that's an outrage.
Sounds to me it should be a priority for your country to change something about that (as well as a priority for countries with similar states of affair).
Your brother's job seems unnecessarily dangerous to me, the least thing that should be done is putting up bars. Frankly I'd never heard of a normal prison where there are none.
Old 01-13-2003, 06:10 PM   #3
Vaskez
Takhisis Follower

That sounds like a joke to me. 1 guard with no weapons and 140 inmates and no bars between them. Errr riiiiight. I can be guillable sometimes but even I don't believe that.
Love conquers all? Damn, I'd say that area's gray
Old 01-13-2003, 06:12 PM   #4
Nanobyte
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

I call it school. [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Seriously though, that sounds a lot like the situation my boss was having before he filed for bankruptcy. I'm not saying he was physically abused and mentally tortured, but he was burdened with unnecessary responsibility. He and his parents came together to start a family business of sorts, a sign business, and he signed into a corporate name. The thing I find totally absurd is how this corporation supplied him with everything he didn't need, and neglected all the things he was needing. What is the use of using a company name if the people you're selling it to don't really care about it, they just want the services you can provide? I'd bet my life on it that without the corporate name, he would still be in business. What's the point on bragging how you can bring an "enlightening experience to all your sign needs" when, at the same time, you're financially destroying your employees/advertisers.

Say all you want, I'm only 17 and a little biased, but I would have stood by him in thick and thin. In fact, I think I just might go up there and help him out tomorrow (is that considered community service? )
Old 01-13-2003, 06:15 PM   #5
*\Conan/*
Red Dragon

Alot of eyes are turned away from prisons and those who are in them. Lorton closed awhile back here but now some of the truthful stories are coming out about the place. Prisoners basically flashing shanks to whoever they want to threaten. Officers included but then again..some of them were charged with very serious crimes themselves. Virtually no back round checks on wave's of recruits. Something needs to be done.
A good old family reunion in and out prison facility.... I join with you in your rant Sir K.
Old 01-13-2003, 06:16 PM   #6
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

Thanks for the perspective, Sir Kenyth. If only there were a workable solution.
Old 01-13-2003, 06:38 PM   #7
The Hunter of Jahanna
Emerald Dragon

I have a bit of advice for your brother. "Learn how to stick up for yourself!!" 140 to 1 is a whole lot exessive!! For $10 an hour I would have laughed in my bosses face and gone home if thoes were the odds against me. Let the boss deal with that mess. On the otherhand I have to think about what would happen if I had no choice in the matter. I might have put up with a little nonsense from the convicts, but the first one to "slam me into a wall" would get his ass handed to him. If I was forced into that situation I would give what ever radio code there is to get some back up in there and I would start mauling kids. I would probably lose but afterwards I would at least have a bit of respect.I have been involved in martial arts since I was 19. My current sensei is a total maniac and literaly HALF my size, so he has been showing me how little size and numbers realy mean.
Old 01-13-2003, 06:41 PM   #8
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

Um.... Hunter of J, I think you're expecting a bit much. What *you* would do might not be tennable for everyone. Also, with 140-1 odds, this is a perfect example where the machismo attitude, when taken to the extreme, can set you up to be a Darwin Award Recipient.

And, I don't know about your kung-fu-gai or your current sensai, but everyone I've ever met who actually *was* the "real deal" with martial arts didn't have to talk so much smack.
Old 01-13-2003, 06:43 PM   #9
SomeGuy
Unicorn

[img]graemlins/jawdrop.gif[/img] THEY PUT YOUR BRO IN WITH 140 PRISONORS AND NO BARS OR WEAPONS?!?!?! That is just jacked up man.Why would they let him carry and weapons?They could have atleast let him have a night stick or soemthing that he could defend himself with!
\"I firmly believe that any man\'s finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is the moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle - victorious.\"<br />-Vince Lombardi
Old 01-13-2003, 06:47 PM   #10
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

SomeGuy, a weapon in the situation described here would only end up being a weapon you have to take away from the prisoners. Clearly the guy in the pit is only there to alert others outside the pit of any disturbances.