Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 09-14-2003, 04:40 PM   #1
Blind_Prophet
Symbol of Cyric

Alright for the past few days my comp has been a bastard. I would turn it on and it would load like normal then when it got to the desk top. Like 5 min after it had been on and loaded the cd-rom would start spining and then the comp would freeze and you couldn't ctl alt del or anything and it wouldn't open the cd-rom if you pressed the button so i would turn it off try again later and it just kept doing that. Then i turned it off waited a day then it did it again but i waited to see if the cd-rom would stop spining that time and the light when from orange to red and i started to hear a poping sound O_O not good. But now it hasn't froze in like 2 days but the cd-rom won't read anything does that mean the cd-rom is dead O_O

*if you can make anything out of what i'm trying to say can you plz help me?*
Old 09-14-2003, 05:05 PM   #2
Bozos of Bones
Apophis

I think the boot is set to CD-ROM, and it's obvously busted. Wouldn't put money on it, but it's my best guess.
Old 09-14-2003, 05:39 PM   #3
Granamere
Zhentarim Guard

Do you feel OK with taking your computer apart? Do you have another computer that you can test with? If so pull your CD rom out and test it in the other computer. If not you might want to set your computer to boot from cd rom then put in a bootable cd rom and see if you can boot from it. Also check and see if the bios can see the cd rom.

Granamere
Old 09-15-2003, 01:57 AM   #4
Harkoliar
Jack Burton

try configuring your bios as well to boot first your Hard disk instead of the cdrom at the start.. hope you can do it so you will know more or less the problem.. also can you enter safe mode?

Catch me if you can..
Old 09-15-2003, 01:09 PM   #5
harleyquinn
Symbol of Cyric

I don't think it's that it's trying to boot from the CDROM, if that were the case, it would never get to the desktop in the first place.
If you feel comfortable with opening your computer and messing with it, I'd suggest opening it up, and making sure that everything's connected to the hardware and to the motherboard, something may have just come loose. That happened with me recently where I couldn't get the monitor up. Turned out something was just loose on the motherboard, and now it works fine.
Old 09-16-2003, 05:35 AM   #6
WillowIX
Apophis

If you have two optical drives just unplug the faulty CD and use the other as your master. It's obvious that when it tries to read a CD it uses all your cpu, happened to me with bad CD-Roms in Win98. It works fine when you haven't got a CD loaded I take it? The good news is that a new CD is very cheap. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-16-2003, 08:26 PM   #7
Blind_Prophet
Symbol of Cyric

Alright i opened up the comp looked around inside everything looked fine made sure everything was snug. The comp is fine now other then it won't read cd's. I will put a cd in the light will come on it will spin then nothing happens i try to open the program from menu and it tells me to insert cd. Could it just be a really really dirty lense? Eh anyone think reinstalling the driver for the cd-rom would help?
Old 09-17-2003, 02:27 PM   #8
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

You have tried different physical CDs, right? Not drives, but CDs. That's one place to start.

A check for malware may also be in order.
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Old 09-17-2003, 04:48 PM   #9
Granamere
Zhentarim Guard

I doubt it is a driver issuse it could be a dirty lens. I have never used one of the cd cleaners for the drive but I guess you could try one. At www.pricewatch.com you can get a 56X IDE drive delivered to you for $17.94. For that price I doubt it is worth buying a cd cleaner. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Granamere
Old 09-17-2003, 06:42 PM   #10
Blind_Prophet
Symbol of Cyric

yeah i think i will just buy a new one after the hurricane there cheap and i got the money. But thanks for the helpful ideas everyone