Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 08-08-2003, 03:20 AM   #1
GokuZool
Lord Ao

I'm thinking about getting a digital camera in the near future and would like some advice. I would prefer a camera which is not too flashy, (no pun intended!) not too expensive and takes pretty good shots. Also, could someone tell me about the connectivity from camera ---> computer. How does it work?

A camera along these lines would be good.

* Under $300 (AUD) That's around $195 (USD)
* Takes good shots
* Reliable
* Well made

etc.

Thanks! [img]smile.gif[/img]

[ 08-08-2003, 03:24 AM: Message edited by: GokuZool ]
Old 08-08-2003, 03:51 AM   #2
Mouse
Ironworks Moderator

Connectivity is generally via USB.

I'm no expert, but I would look for at least 2 megapixel resolution and a 3x optical zoom lens as a minimum. Don't be seduced by unnecessary features like the ability to record short movie clips - in practical terms they are useless.

Read a few on-line reviews and see what's out there. I, myself, have a low-end Olympus Camedia which suits me fine for the sort of "point and shoot" photos I take.

Hope this helps

Mouse
(Occasional crooner and all round friendly Scottish rodent)
Old 08-08-2003, 03:52 AM   #3
Felix The Assassin
The Dreadnoks

Question Mark

Hmmm,

You need to define good shots.
Do you want to just look at them on the puter, and post them online? Then any 1 Mega Pixel camera will do.
If you plan on printing, or having them print forget your price, you will need at least 2.2 MP preferably 3 MP. The higher the MP the higher the cost. More MP means more to work with. 2.2 MP will print nice 4x6 prints, no cropping, no enlarging. 3+ you can start to crop, and get larger prints. 4+ MP you can print upto 81/2 x 14, or crop down and still get portrait quality at 5x7.
A higher MP means more picture = more space taken up on the memory card.

USB is the base standard for digicam to puter transfer. However, if your pute has fire wire, it will transfer faster than USB 1.0 but not as fast as USB 2.0. So, puter dependent on your transfer.

I have an older Kodak 1.1 MP camera, small files, few options, great for minor shots, or posting to the web. Will print a decent 4x6.
My primary is a Sony 4.1 MP, big camera, lots of options, prints better 4x6 pictures than any film camera! Huge files, lots to work with.

Plan on an accessory kit. Extra batteries, extra storage card, good digital software.

Felix

Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe to assure the survival and the success of liberty.

John F. Kennedy
35th President of The United States

The Last Shot

Honor The Fallen

Jesus died for our sins, and American Soldiers died for our freedom.

If you don't stand behind our Soldiers, please feel free to stand in front of them.
Old 08-08-2003, 04:33 AM   #4
Lanesra
Symbol of Cyric

I've got a kodak DX 3500 2.1 megapixels which works pretty well for me, pics are downloaded using kodaks easyshare docking system and software, or if you don't want to pay for this you can use a USB connection direct to your PC which sees the camera as another drive. The only minus with this camera is that it has a 2x digital zoom , as opposed to an optical zoom, maybe it's me but I haven't had alot of luck with the zoom, however they do make later models with optical zooms.
Old 08-08-2003, 04:59 AM   #5
Harkoliar
Jack Burton

hmm.. how much on average does a 2mb - 3mb digital camera worth nowadays?

Catch me if you can..
Old 08-08-2003, 07:18 AM   #6
InsaneBane
Baaz Draconian

I just bought my first digital camera: The new Canon A60 with appr. 2 Mpix.
Until now I am VERY satisfied. I can point and click in auto mode or make manual adjustments just by chosing the mode on a selection wheel - even my 'technofobia' wife is able to take good pictures with it [img]smile.gif[/img] .

It got 3 x optical zoom (up til 7.5 x zoom together with the digital zoom), takes 4 AA (rechargable) batteries, uses SmartCard and costs (I guess) approximately 200 USD.

A slightly better equipped version: The Canon A70 costs approximately 80 USD extra and got 3.2 Mpix (and slightly better digital zoom).

[img]graemlins/greenbounce.gif[/img]
Insane
Old 08-08-2003, 07:44 AM   #7
GokuZool
Lord Ao

So I gather that you need storage cards, you can't just store the shots onto the camera itself. How many shots can fit on a normal card? A friend of mine can fit around 1000 pics on his camera! How is that possible?

By good shots, I mean high quality displayed on the comp and pretty good quality through print-outs.

[ 08-08-2003, 08:16 AM: Message edited by: GokuZool ]
Old 08-08-2003, 08:31 AM   #8
Mouse
Ironworks Moderator

Have a look here

Mouse
(Occasional crooner and all round friendly Scottish rodent)
Old 08-08-2003, 10:06 AM   #9
InsaneBane
Baaz Draconian

This test is from March 2003. Canon (and others) have released a whole bunch of new camera versions since then (IMO some with better performance/price ratios too).

[img]graemlins/greenbounce.gif[/img]
Insane
Old 08-08-2003, 01:36 PM   #10
Vaskez
Takhisis Follower

As mouse said, you want at least 3x optical zoom. Digital zoom is useless as you lose resolution when zooming in with it.

The resolution required depends on your intended use. 2MPixel (1600x1200 max resolution) is perfectly good enough for viewing full screen on your monitor or printing up to around A5 size (quality depends on printer as well). If you want to print A4 size you'll probably need a 3 or 4 Mpixel camera. Professionals use 6MP cameras but that is probably overkill and too expensive for your price range.
Make sure you get at least 128MB memory card - this allows around 160 photos to be taken at 1600x1200 resolution with fine JPGEG compression (high detail).

As people have said connectivity is generally USB. Just plug it in (after drivers are installed) and it should show up as a removable drive so you can use it like a zip disk or something.

Before you buy makes sure you can at least adjust some things such as white balance and light sensitivity otherwise you'll have no control over shots in awkward lighting conditions.

[ 08-08-2003, 01:41 PM: Message edited by: Vaskez ]
Love conquers all? Damn, I'd say that area's gray