Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 10-09-2001, 09:26 PM   #1
Sir Real
Dungeon Master

Okay here some stuff I draged from the dark sinking pits that is my mind, hopefully you can help me iron out the wrinkles from them and provide someone with alot of money perfecting them! Or then you can just punch holes them and ruin all my dreams

Right cheap space travel! build a long runway that cruves up at the end (anyone who see venus wars or it like will get the image) and connect a large tube of rings to it. Now here the best bit it, the rings are electromagnicts that push against like magnets on the shuttles wings/under-belly etc, these then propelle the shuttle into space (Anyone who can give me a formaul for this gets a good star)!!!

Right this time, faster then the light travel: Well taken that the closer you get to the speed of light the slower time travels for you, right? so if you when to mars and back a more time passes here then for you. Right so the closer you get to the speed of light the slower time travels so if you were to reach the speed of light time would effectly stop, thus you can slow down and are stuck. Meaning FTL travel is impossible (Go on punch a hole in that theory I dare you!) FTL travel part two. IF by some strange mean you do mange to achive FTL travel time should go backwards, so you would arrive before you left.

Errr I have more but can't quite remember them so stay tuned for more gibberrish

------------------
Opinions are not clubs don't beat others with yours.
Old 10-09-2001, 09:46 PM   #2
G'kar

Quote:
Originally posted by Sir Real:
Okay here some stuff I draged from the dark sinking pits that is my mind, hopefully you can help me iron out the wrinkles from them and provide someone with alot of money perfecting them! Or then you can just punch holes them and ruin all my dreams

Right cheap space travel! build a long runway that cruves up at the end (anyone who see venus wars or it like will get the image) and connect a large tube of rings to it. Now here the best bit it, the rings are electromagnicts that push against like magnets on the shuttles wings/under-belly etc, these then propelle the shuttle into space (Anyone who can give me a formaul for this gets a good star)!!!

Right this time, faster then the light travel: Well taken that the closer you get to the speed of light the slower time travels for you, right? so if you when to mars and back a more time passes here then for you. Right so the closer you get to the speed of light the slower time travels so if you were to reach the speed of light time would effectly stop, thus you can slow down and are stuck. Meaning FTL travel is impossible (Go on punch a hole in that theory I dare you!) FTL travel part two. IF by some strange mean you do mange to achive FTL travel time should go backwards, so you would arrive before you left.

Errr I have more but can't quite remember them so stay tuned for more gibberrish

I think the theory of the magnetic-rail gun is a practical one. I saw a theoretic animation of it on the learning channel, great show about the future of space-travel. Definetly a thought for the future, Im sure we'll find a successor to expensive rockets. Reusabiltiy is the next wave!

FTL travel may rely on science that we have yet to discover,in order to make it possible. And as I understand the FTL theory you refered too, time would not standstill, or go backwards, it would continue forward very very very very very very very very slow. and still one couldnt actually travel faster than light, but just under light speed at the max. Its been a while since I read Hawkings, Einstein, or physics at all for that matter, so I could have facts wrong. correct me if I am...

Nice topic.

Old 10-09-2001, 09:58 PM   #3
Sir Real
Dungeon Master

Quote:
Originally posted by G'kar:
FTL travel may rely on science that we have yet to discover,in order to make it possible. And as I understand the FTL theory you refered too, time would not standstill, or go backwards, it would continue forward very very very very very very very very slow. and still one couldnt actually travel faster than light, but just under light speed at the max. Its been a while since I read Hawkings, Einstein, or physics at all for that matter, so I could have facts wrong. correct me if I am...

Nice topic.

[/B]
Extremly slow maybe but that would change much would it? then again maybe it will. As for the undeveloped tech' that would make it possible only the warping of phyical space so that the space outside the confines of the ship is traveling at the speed of light but space with the ship is at normal time. As for you being wrong, don't ask me I.

Oh thanks!

Old 10-09-2001, 10:01 PM   #4
Horus - Egyptian Sky God

brb, I will go get some McDonnalds in Mars before this AOL update thingie is done...
Old 10-09-2001, 10:06 PM   #5
SSJ4Sephiroth
Beholder

hmm... perhaps if we can develop cryo-freezing the first one would be an option, but your thoughts on FTL travel are similar to mine. its not a reliable way to travel, as you would actually be moving BACKWARDS (not to MENTION that it requires E=34 Billion with a mass of ONE!). oh well, the first one will be rather hard, because i think it would take way too long to build that, and what of asteroids and such? they would probably smash into it and send half of it drifting off into space, effectively killing any passengers riding on it at the time of the breakage .

however, i think that the only reliable means of long-distance space travel is the most unreliable one ever concieved in the history of man: the 'worm hole'. according to what i can remember, a 'worm hole' is a theory that a black hole is connected to another place in the space/time continual, or a 'tear' in the afformentioned continual. and using these 'worm holes', we can travel to any place in the universe, perhaps even through time! however, i have deemed this impossible as well, as you cant actually plan your destination, and the odds are the 'worm hole' doesnt exist and is really just a black hole waiting to gobble up any matter at all.

and of course, the only means for time travel, other than FTL, that i can come up with involve 'worm holes'. of course, this is just stupid in my mind, as a person will be warped to any time, any place, ever. the human will likely be placed in a void to explode or depressurize within a few seconds.

just my thoughts, my head hurts now...

------------------
It's simple. Once the Planet is hurt, it gathers Spirit Energy to heal the injury. The amount of energy gathered depends on the size of the injury...What would happen if there was an injury that threatened the very life of the Planet? Think how much energy would be gathered! Ha, ha, ha. And at the center of that injury, wil be me. All that boundless energy will be mine. By merging with the energy of the Planet, I will be come a new life form, a new existence. Melding with the Planet, I will cease to exist as I am now. Only to be reborn as a 'God' to rule over every living soul.

What are you saying? Are you trying to tell me you have feelings now? Ha, ha, ha... Stop acting as if you're sad. And there's no need to act as if you're angry either. Because, Cloud, you are... a puppet.

Super Sephiroth, slayer of the Uber Fluffy, and battle co-ordionator and defender of the HADB clan.
Follower of the mighty Fallen Paladin himself.
Diplomacy is all and well, but HADB is better!
Head of the IronWorks Intelligence Division
Official Soup Server and bumper of Cloudy's Cafe
Possessor of the Aerie Diamond Head from the ALSB.
Page in the Court of Lady Lioness

Stalking the woodlands,
the Lioness in my sight,
warm feelings doth come,
into my lonely heart
Old 10-09-2001, 10:10 PM   #6
John D Harris
Ninja Storm Shadow

I don't know about FTL, but if you drop a piece of toast the probability of it landing butter side down is directly related to the amount of pet fur on the floor

------------------
Crustiest of the OLD COOTS
Airline ticket to Afghanistan $800
High powered rifle with scope $1000
Hotel room with roof access $100
A clean Head shot on that sack of Horse Manure Usuma Bin Laden PRICELESS!
Old 10-09-2001, 10:20 PM   #7
Sir Real
Dungeon Master

Quote:
Originally posted by SSJ4Sephiroth:
hmm... perhaps if we can develop cryo-freezing the first one would be an option, but your thoughts on FTL travel are similar to mine. its not a reliable way to travel, as you would actually be moving BACKWARDS (not to MENTION that it requires E=34 Billion with a mass of ONE!). oh well, the first one will be rather hard, because i think it would take way too long to build that, and what of asteroids and such? they would probably smash into it and send half of it drifting off into space, effectively killing any passengers riding on it at the time of the breakage .
Oh the 'cannon' is earth based and if correctly alined (and loaded with a object of sufficent mass) could 'knock' the incomming asteroid of course and save the planet. errr hang on if you you meant achiving FTL hitting an asteroid, I think it unlikey you probably plow into a planet, sun or black hole first

Quote:
Originally posted by SSJ4Sephiroth:
however, i think that the only reliable means of long-distance space travel is the most unreliable one ever concieved in the history of man: the 'worm hole'. according to what i can remember, a 'worm hole' is a theory that a black hole is connected to another place in the space/time continual, or a 'tear' in the afformentioned continual. and using these 'worm holes', we can travel to any place in the universe, perhaps even through time! however, i have deemed this impossible as well, as you cant actually plan your destination, and the odds are the 'worm hole' doesnt exist and is really just a black hole waiting to gobble up any matter at all.

and of course, the only means for time travel, other than FTL, that i can come up with involve 'worm holes'. of course, this is just stupid in my mind, as a person will be warped to any time, any place, ever. the human will likely be placed in a void to explode or depressurize within a few seconds.

just my thoughts, my head hurts now...

Right worm holes are not practical, hard to find and you the desation is unknown. Yet to 'fold space' so the starting point and the end point co-exist at the same time in the same place yet anyway of achiving this still escape me at the moment.

Sorry about your head btw

------------------

[This message has been edited by Sir Real (edited 10-09-2001).]
Old 10-09-2001, 10:26 PM   #8
G'kar

Quote:
Originally posted by John D Harris:
I don't know about FTL, but if you drop a piece of toast the probability of it landing butter side down is directly related to the amount of pet fur on the floor

ROFLOL!!!! My cats shed in the kitchen near the toaster just to prove this theory correct, plus they love licking butta off the floor!!!!!!

Old 10-09-2001, 10:48 PM   #9
Sir Real
Dungeon Master

Oaky Doesn't anyone have a theory on the amazing maigcal panties of LadyZekke sig'?
Take picture one (and many others): you can see ALL of her side but yet here she has cute little white, probalby cotton, panties. How, why did they come from???? Now I not experet (unfortanly) but still if those panties are hidden by the thin white belt of her they must be really run up, mind you if there g-sting well cheese grater springs to mind.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Sir Real (edited 10-09-2001).]
Old 10-10-2001, 07:11 AM   #10
DragonMage
20th Level Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Sir Real:
Oaky Doesn't anyone have a theory on the amazing maigcal panties of LadyZekke sig'?
Take picture one (and many others): you can see ALL of her side but yet here she has cute little white, probalby cotton, panties. How, why did they come from???? Now I not experet (unfortanly) but still if those panties are hidden by the thin white belt of her they must be really run up, mind you if there g-sting well cheese grater springs to mind.
Some of us refer to that g-string as 'butt floss'.

------------------

Alureth...Dragon friend of Breanna, Mage and Advisor in the Court of Lady Lioness

Co-Owner/Operator of the Evil Petting Zoo and devout member of the HADB clan.
Commander of the Dragon Fleet, IW Peacekeeping Force
Sublime Sister of the Illuminati - may the Light shine forever!
Second Historian and Scribe of IW. Mother Hen of IW.
Mage extraordinair, Pin-Up Girl for the OLD-COOTS
Magey-Wagey: performer in the Nekked Dancing Trio of the ORT.

Hopeless Romantic *sigh*