Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 03-26-2002, 03:57 PM   #21
Beaumanoir
Iron Throne Cult

Quote:
Originally posted by Lavindathar:

But dnt worry, there is light in the end of that tunnel.

Thats The Headlamp Of The Oncoming Train

Hm, I Would Like To Be Paid For School, But Its For Our Own Good, So I Don't See Why We Should... [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 03-26-2002, 04:05 PM   #22
Talthyr Malkaviel
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Binky's right... but if it's for our own benefit, and it is there are as a help, not a restricting force on us rambunctious youths, why are teachers allowed such power over us?? And why do they keep saying we should act like grown ups, when half of the time, they are obviously wrong/mistaken, and think of us and treat us like children.... oh the strange people that are teachers (no offence to any teachers here, and I'm on about English teachers here, I wouldn't know about anywhere else), maybe all teachers in England are having a permanent mental breakdown.
Old 03-26-2002, 07:28 PM   #23
Redblueflare
Galvatron

Quote:
Originally posted by ʆë®Ńď†Ý:

It's fun to be with people ~grynz~ and I find school gives my life routine, otherwise I'd sleep till midday everyday (kinda like I am now, now that I'm on easter holidays *beaming*).
You guys just keep reminding me about that don't you? I am so gonna rub it in when my Spring Break starts and everyone is in school. [img]tongue.gif[/img]

School is for learning, but that isn't it. It's true that you probably won't need half of the stuff you learn. Come on why on earth would I need to know what Natural log of something is?

Just think about this for a second. How many of you learned about a talent through school? I don't think I would've ever picked up a guitar if I hadn't taken the class. I certainly wouldn't have such a phenomenal vocabulary,(True I don't use the words often but I know them.) and wouldn't be able to write or speak as well without english.

So to finish up, school does has some aspect on your life. And if you do well in it, things will be a little bit easier for you. My two cents..

RedBlueFlare
The dragon tamer lives on...
Old 03-26-2002, 07:45 PM   #24
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Galadria:
Neb, I'm sure that you are right, about never using higher math again, let alone chemistry and physics, but think of it as time spent in the mental gymnasium, building "mind-muscles" for whatever you plan to do.
Cloudy thanks for the high-fives. Attalus says to tell you that he just got into it for the money and to meet women.
ROTFL! He's a keeper, dear! LOL

Neb, and what would you do at home with the time not spent in school? Spam more msg boards? Seriously, some things you may not need and others you'll be surprised to be using later on, but in every case, you will have learned something and discipline of study is not a bad thing overall! [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 03-26-2002, 08:25 PM   #25
Aelia Jusa
Iron Throne Cult

Tetris Champion
Quote:
Originally posted by Neb:
Well, to comment seriously, I think that there are a lot of useless things which we're taught, time spent in school that I'd rather spend at home.

Like Music class, rather useless knowledge which we're taught there, I'd rather have more of something useful or just have less time at school to make it all seem more bearable.

Then there's Chemistry, Physics and Biology, 60% of all of the students will probably never find ANY use for any of what they've been taught there in whatever job they end up with.

Oh, and Maths, I am willing to bet that I will NEVER find a use for at least 50% of the equations that I've been taught there, which means a lot of wasted time.....
Good posts, Galadria and Cloudy [img]smile.gif[/img] . I posted this on another board to a similar topic, and I think it's relevant here too.

I know a lot of people see school that way, and I agree, there is a lot of stuff you learn that doesn't have any practical utility. Any literature studies for example - you'll never need to know what alliteration is, or how Shakespeare forshadows something; though it might be nice to be able to appreciate literature with some depth if you're that way inclined, it's not useful unless you're planning to have a career in that field.

But I wonder, if they only taught stuff we would 'need' in the real world, what would we learn? How to read and write, do some basic maths, balance a chequebook and fix the plumbing? We'd be finished by the time we were ten. And who decided who 'needs' what information? The person who wants to be a labourer or the one who wants to do a PhD? How would people know that they wanted to be doctors or lawyers or geologists if they weren't taught basic principles in biology and chemistry and geology and legal studies in school?

And then of course there is the issue of the knowledge being valuable in itself. A foreign thought to many, I know, but I personally like having general knowledge, I like knowing about differential equations and what a haiku is and why world war one happened, even though I'll never need any of that in my chosen occupation. I study psychology, because I want to be a psychologist - everything I'm learning there will help me in real life. But I also study philosophy and ancient history for my own pleasure (and to make sure I don't get out of debt before I've retired lol ); I don't need to know anything I learn there, but I like learning new things, and having knowledge. Now I'm not saying everyone has to be like me, but we shouldn't stop people at school from getting a basic understanding of a lot of areas and maybe appreciating the value of knoweldge for it's own sake, just because some people think it's a waste of time.

[ 03-26-2002, 08:26 PM: Message edited by: Aelia Jusa ]
Old 03-27-2002, 12:21 PM   #26
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Wonderfully written, Aelia!

I for one appreciate the things I learned or experienced that may not have a direct use (Ok, how often do I quote Shakespeare while doing laundry? ) but have an overall enriching impact on my life. What would life be like without the arts and yes, the sciences we may not use daily? I think being able to at least understand the basics of what's going on in the news of the world is useful. I sure feel more well-rounded and life is richer for it!

So never assume that something you learn in school is 'worthless'. I know that most things I did study found a way to make life more interesting or came in handy sometime later. If nothing else, I know how to learn. YES, that is actually a skill that comes in VERY handy on the job and in relationships! [img]smile.gif[/img]

Cloudy
Old 03-27-2002, 12:27 PM   #27
Vaskez
Takhisis Follower

*true lazyass style can't be bothered to read any other posts in this thread so will just answer*

If you want my advice pay close attention to what you learn in maths. Very close attention. It may seen useless at the time cos unfortunately schools aren't very good at teaching you WHY it will be useful but trust me Maths is the single most important subject and will almost always be useful. Pay moderate attention to what you learn in physics and chemistry. Biology is just facts and long names, you'll forget them anyway. English, histroy, all forgettable and a bit pointless once you can write properly. ALso, if you learn languages pay close attention. You can pretty much forget other stuff.
Love conquers all? Damn, I'd say that area's gray
Old 03-27-2002, 12:34 PM   #28
MagiK

Quote:
Originally posted by TheThing:
time doesnt make a wise man, time makes a dead idiot. only through pain, failures and suffers do people gain understanding. ^^ so let me whip you good
You are wrong, tho I will grant you that time by itself does not wisdom make, but time is a KEY ingredient. No man nor woman has ever gained wisdom without the passage of time.

Old 03-27-2002, 12:41 PM   #29
MagiK

Quote:
Originally posted by Neb:
Well, to comment seriously, I think that there are a lot of useless things which we're taught, time spent in school that I'd rather spend at home.

Like Music class, rather useless knowledge which we're taught there, I'd rather have more of something useful or just have less time at school to make it all seem more bearable.

Then there's Chemistry, Physics and Biology, 60% of all of the students will probably never find ANY use for any of what they've been taught there in whatever job they end up with.

Oh, and Maths, I am willing to bet that I will NEVER find a use for at least 50% of the equations that I've been taught there, which means a lot of wasted time.....
If 60% of the people dont use the education they are given then that is their own lack of intelligence. Im not a chemist and Im not a physicist and yet chemistry and physics have at times been useful knowledge...Id rather have knowledge I don't use than to not have it when I needed it.

Old 03-27-2002, 12:46 PM   #30
MagiK

Quote:
Originally posted by Talthyr Malkaviel:
Hmmm, well MagiK, I'll agree with you on the experience thing, but if you ask me secondary school doesn't give you much valuable experience, just learning and making friends.
It's only when you go further on and have more responsibilities to take care of that you get the true experience.
But hey, I wouldn't have met some of my closest friends if I didn't go.
Hey Galadria, I'm close to that, if I follow the path to my chosen carrer I think i'll have been in education for a minimum of 20 years, if I do my final training full-time rather than stretched out half-time, if I do half time it'll be more like 23 years,.
I'm not going to tell you lot what I want to be because trust me, it'll bear the brunt of a lot of jokes.
Damn job reputations!!!!!!!
Lemme guess Proctologist or Animal Husbandry?