Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Wizards & Warriors Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-16-2001, 06:36 AM   #1
mortification
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I seem to post at wierd times so hopefully this won't get pushed too far down before people see it.

Some people have expressed some interest in maybe making a "mod" of some sort for W&W. I have some basic ability in this area and would definately need some help. Anybody with basic mod-making or hex-editing experience please post so we can see if we can get enough people to make a go at it.

Realize that we'd need a small group of people who'd be willing to put some time in with the beta-testing, figuring out all of the locations of the data, etc. Sometimes it's kind of boring but the end result is usually worth it.

Also if anyone knows the publisher or programmers enough that we could e-mail them for some advice, please post. That would be the best place to start.

Another topic that is post-worthy is, what would you like to see in a mod? Realize that we are NOT talking sequel here, but rather a tweaking of the existing game to improve it. At this point we don't even know what, if anything, we can modify so we are open to speculation/desire.

Personally I'd like to adjust:
monster stats
character classes/new classes
character races/new races
items
maybe some changes or additions to the map
gold drop rates, so that you could play without exploting any gold tricks
timing of ranged weapons to make them more viable

------------------
(This space intentionally left blank)
mortification is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2001, 08:52 AM   #2
Wyvern
Ironworks Moderator

Mort -

Glad to see you started up this thread! I'll keep it on Page 1 and near the top for a while to give posters a chance to notice it!

As for tweeking that I would like to see - better use of all the weapon types. This game is so sword/staff/dagger oriented. I'll think of some other things too (such as decreasing the rusty swords - lol!)

Wyv
Wyvern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2001, 11:07 AM   #3
Ryanamur
Fzoul Chembryl

***********Spoiler Ahead******************

Mort. I don't know anything about programming.

One thing for sure that would be required is a way for the game to modify ending options depending on characters actions throught the game. In other words, an action-reaction kinda thing.

For exemple, an Assassin that goes and destroys the Dragon, the Stout King etc, should be labeled as a bad guy and therefore, when the end approaches, should be forced to join with the bad guys.

Well, I don't know if it can be done. Like I said, I don't know anything about programming. Whatever you come up with I'm sure will be a worthwhile addition to the game.
Ryanamur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2001, 04:30 PM   #4
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

I'd love to see an add-on pack, actually...one in which the sacred oath DOES matter! However, since most of us give up the Mavin, would it count?

-Sazerac
Sazerac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2001, 09:35 PM   #5
mortification
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Bump....

Not much activity here so I may have to press on (very slowly) by myself. I want to play through the game fully several times before I start messing with things. It's really easy to unbalance something but hard to balance it...all of our "complaints" aside, designing a good game is no so easy.

Anyone interested in mod-making/hex-editing, please post. Also post if you know any of the programmers/designers. I'd like to start at least by assembling a table of the hex values for the various items (and anything else people can come up with), starting with "D6ITEM.DAT". Same thing for the Character data in "game01.sav", etc. To this point all of my hex-editing has been anecdotal (and mainly for gold, which is the standard big-endian hex number.

(wonder if that name is a holdover from the days when the game was known as Deep 6?)

------------------
Old 05-18-2001, 09:59 PM   #6
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

Mortification, you may be better served by talking to alz (short for Alzagor). He was one of the designers on the HPI team, even though he's no longer with them. He still checks the forum from time to time. I'll see if I can find his e-mail for you.

-Sazerac
Old 05-18-2001, 10:00 PM   #7
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

Mortification: here is Alzagor's e-mail address:

alz_email@yahoo.com

At best, he could give you some pointers. I don't know his real name, but he'll go by "Alz" or "Alzagor".

Hope this helps.

-Sazerac
Old 05-18-2001, 11:17 PM   #8
mortification
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Sazerac,

Thanks for the info! I'll check it out.

------------------
Old 05-18-2001, 11:55 PM   #9
Ziroc

Quote:
Originally posted by mortification:
I seem to post at wierd times so hopefully this won't get pushed too far down before people see it.

Some people have expressed some interest in maybe making a "mod" of some sort for W&W. I have some basic ability in this area and would definately need some help. Anybody with basic mod-making or hex-editing experience please post so we can see if we can get enough people to make a go at it.

Realize that we'd need a small group of people who'd be willing to put some time in with the beta-testing, figuring out all of the locations of the data, etc. Sometimes it's kind of boring but the end result is usually worth it.

Also if anyone knows the publisher or programmers enough that we could e-mail them for some advice, please post. That would be the best place to start.

Another topic that is post-worthy is, what would you like to see in a mod? Realize that we are NOT talking sequel here, but rather a tweaking of the existing game to improve it. At this point we don't even know what, if anything, we can modify so we are open to speculation/desire.

Personally I'd like to adjust:
monster stats
character classes/new classes
character races/new races
items
maybe some changes or additions to the map
gold drop rates, so that you could play without exploting any gold tricks
timing of ranged weapons to make them more viable

That would be cool, I'll email D.W Bradley and see if we could get him to release the editor for W&W! Or atleast the file spec's for the file types--so we can build our own editors (or a simple SDK).
I'm no expert programmer, so I can't do that, but I CAN do graphics, textures, 3D Modeling and using editors..

Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster

Old 05-19-2001, 12:46 AM   #10
Ryanamur
Fzoul Chembryl

Ziroc, from all of us playing this great game a big thanks (both for your help and for the forum).
Ryanamur is offline   Reply With Quote