Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 09-05-2003, 03:28 PM   #11
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

I wish I knew what the hell you all were talking about! LOL! Is there a lamen's terms description you could feed us???
Old 09-05-2003, 03:34 PM   #12
Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster

Bow to the Meow

Quote:
Originally posted by Larry_OHF:
I wish I knew what the hell you all were talking about! LOL! Is there a lamen's terms description you could feed us???
Serial ATA.

The Great Escape Studios - 2D/3D Modeling
www.tgeweb.com & Ziroc's Facebook Page
Visit My Flickr Photo Album
Old 09-05-2003, 03:42 PM   #13
Nachtrafe
Red Wizard of Thay

Quote:
Originally posted by andrewas:
Your hardware will be fine for playback, anyone that trys to tell you you need hardware decoder is living in the past.
Not entirely true. [img]smile.gif[/img] Software decoding is fine, provided you have a machine with enough horsepower, but, IMO hardware decoding is still the way to go. Mainly because I like the idea of having two video cards/monitors and watching movies while I work at my puter. [img]smile.gif[/img]

AFA SATA...*needs drool smiley*. I want to go SATA when I upgrade too. I just hope I can afford it. [img]smile.gif[/img] Plus, whatever I get, I'm getting the new round IDE cables...I am SO SICK of all the damn ribbon cables in my case(two HDD/burner/cd).

Anyway...good luck Larry.

"May the wings of liberty never lose a feather!"
Old 09-05-2003, 04:07 PM   #14
Jorath Calar
Harper

Power DVD is the best dvd software, and it doesn't hijack your extensions...

Oh and by the way, with the dvddrive, your cdrom drive is pretty much redundant so I'd lose it and have a spare bay... [img]smile.gif[/img] just a suggestion... no need to have 3 devices to read cd's... [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-05-2003, 07:05 PM   #15
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

I know I don't need three devices, but I thought that maybe it would be better not to run CDs in the DVD so much, to preserve it and not let it get over-used...and the CDRW is the same, plus is reads CDs slower than my CD ROM. I have a 44x CD ROM. I want to buy a 52xCDROM, because a DVD ROM only reads CDs at 42x, don't they?

Anyway, I have four slots for drives, and I think it looks cool to have them filled! I am a toy lover.

[ 09-05-2003, 07:05 PM: Message edited by: Larry_OHF ]
Old 09-05-2003, 07:54 PM   #16
Zero Alpha

Quote:
Originally posted by Larry_OHF:
I know I don't need three devices, but I thought that maybe it would be better not to run CDs in the DVD so much, to preserve it and not let it get over-used...and the CDRW is the same, plus is reads CDs slower than my CD ROM. I have a 44x CD ROM. I want to buy a 52xCDROM, because a DVD ROM only reads CDs at 42x, don't they?

Anyway, I have four slots for drives, and I think it looks cool to have them filled! I am a toy lover.
More devices == less power + less processer time per device. plus if there on the same ribbon cable, old mobo's have trouble. best just to have CD-RW and DVD drive's. honestly if you manage to wear a new one out i will be Very supprised 0.o
Old 09-05-2003, 10:04 PM   #17
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

Understood. So...Which one should I play CDs in if I replace my CD ROM with the DVD? The DVD or the CDRW?
Old 09-06-2003, 04:03 AM   #18
Zuvio
Gold Dragon

CDRW: lower speed (generally) = less noise!
The DVD should be used for DVD's only to prolong the life-span of your DVD. Last I heard, DVD-players do not enjoy incredible longevity.

On a side note: Lite-On is a great brand. Got me a nice 22" monitor for about 500 dollars, excellent quality!
Old 09-06-2003, 06:48 AM   #19
Seraph
Quintesson

Quote:
Originally posted by Zero Alpha:
please tell me you didnt just say you have a hard drive on the same cable as one or more optical drives [img]graemlins/saywhat.gif[/img] . that is a bad bad idea!
Why is it a bad idea?

It was true a long time ago that the DASP signals would get messed up sometimes with drives from different companies, but I haven't heard of that being an issue in years.

[ 09-06-2003, 06:53 AM: Message edited by: Seraph ]
Old 09-06-2003, 06:50 AM   #20
Zuvio
Gold Dragon

Quote:
Originally posted by Seraph:
quote:
Originally posted by Zero Alpha:
please tell me you didnt just say you have a hard drive on the same cable as one or more optical drives [img]graemlins/saywhat.gif[/img] . that is a bad bad idea!
Why is it a bad idea? [/QUOTE]I think he means something like data-transfer between those two drives on the same IDE can be horrible. I've experienced some problems similar to that one myself: sometimes games wouldn't install at all because I had my cd-rom and HDD on the same IDE cable.