Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Miscellaneous Games (RPG or not)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-22-2003, 10:32 AM   #1
Albromor
Mephistopheles

As I said in an earlier post of mine, Morrowind came packaged in my new Asus Video card. Since it was OEM there was no Game Manual included. So creating a character and knowing the races, attributes, and skills takes some serious searching on the Net. However, one thing I have yet to find is the keyboard set-up for this game. I don't know how heavily keyboard intensive this game is. Does anyone have a clue as to where I can find a picture/copy of what keys one needs to access different items/abilities/screens? I even purchased the official Game Guide but that doesn't help. Nor does Stratos' unofficial game guide.

My second question concerns Races. I've been thinking of playing the first time either a Wood Elf, Redguard, or an Imperial. Any thoughts on this? Also, is it just me or do Nords, Bretons, Redguards, and Imperials all look like they come from the same race?

Thanks!
Albromor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2003, 10:49 AM   #2
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
I wouldn't worry too much about keyboard intensity, this is one of the easiest games to control imo.

The races are defenitely not alike. I play a redguard knight myself, and that character doesn't even come close to all other races in Morrowind.
Old 05-22-2003, 11:48 AM   #3
Albromor
Mephistopheles

Quote:
Originally posted by johnny:
I wouldn't worry too much about keyboard intensity, this is one of the easiest games to control imo.

Could you please elaborate on the most important ones? Thanks.

The races are defenitely not alike. I play a redguard knight myself, and that character doesn't even come close to all other races in Morrowind.
How is a Redguard different? Have you mixed it up a bit, i.e., long sword BUT light armor? I have been seriously thinking about a Redguard knight myself.
Old 05-22-2003, 02:01 PM   #4
Firestormalpha
Knight of the Rose

Zelda Champion Snake Champion
Keyboard Controls? Just so happens I have my manual right here.

Movementsame as almost every FP/TP game)
Forward = w
Backward = s
Strafe L = a
Strafe R = d
Toggle Run/walk = Caps Lock (use shift if you don't want to toggle)
Sneak = Ctrl (note: while in sneak you can pick pockets, also you have to hold ctrl to stay in sneak mode.
Toggle FP/TP view = Tab
Activate/use/interact = Spacebar
Jump = e

Other Basic Controls:
Ready Magic = r
Ready Weapon = f
Rest/wait = t
Journal = j (go figure)
Previous/next spell = -/= respectively
Prev./next weapon = [/] respectively
Quick Save = F5
Quick Load = F9
Quick Keys = 1-9
Quick Menu = F1 (use Quick menu to assign weapons, spells, etc. to Quick Keys)
Switch to Hand-to-hand with 0 key

Use Spell or attack = Left click
Access Char. menus (Status, Magic, Inventory, Map) = Right click
***Special note*** I don't know if this is with all computers or just mine, but never ever use your mouse wheel or middl mouse button if you have one. It really screws up the scrolling bars. To fix this you need to exit the game and reload.

As far as creating characters the beginning of the game practically walks you through it. Also any race is easily capable of being any class, your choice will determine the amount of effort and patience you must use. My personal favorite is Imperial Knight, but that's also the only one I've used so far.

"We are never to judge a philosophy by its abuse." - Augustine

"If you're wondering if God has a sense of humor, consider the platypus."

http://www.greaterthings.cbglades.com
Firestormalpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2003, 02:44 PM   #5
Albromor
Mephistopheles

Thanks tons, Firestormalpha!!! With IW's handy-dandy "Print a Friendly Version" capability I have printed out the info you took the time to type out. I can't tell you how much I appreciate it.

As for your Imperial Knight, how do you like the class? What have you learned that you would do different? How far in the game are you? The reason Redguards, Imperials, and Wood Elves appeal to me is their plus ability to use armor and weapons. I've never been a mage fan, BUT I do like to use magic to undergird and support my gameplay. I also really like characters that have thieving abilities in addition to fighting skills. In standard RPG's I've leaned towards characters that were Fighter/Clerics or Fighter/Mages or Fighter/Thieves.

If I read you right, most races can be a mixture of classes if one takes the time to mold them. Therefore let us say I want to play an Imperial Knight that can utilize magic. What must one do to elevate both fighting and magic skills to make this doable? I'm not looking for a textbook read out, just the basics. Again thanks.

[ 05-22-2003, 02:46 PM: Message edited by: Albromor ]
Old 05-22-2003, 05:00 PM   #6
Mister Natural
Manshoon

The great thing about MW is you can be a fighter and a mage at the same time. Plus you can wear armor while casting unlike other RPG's. I think most folks find themselves using some form of combination of fighter and mage characters. The way to build stats and abilities in this game is to simply keep making use of them. You want to develop the long sword ability? Then swing away with a long sword. Develop the destruction magic skill? Cast a destructive magic often and repeat. Your abilities will improve and eventually you'll level up.
Old 05-22-2003, 05:49 PM   #7
koz-ivan
Manshoon

re the imperial knight - my fave char so far, a mix of armour, long blades, some restoration / destruction magic, a few thief skills, and alchemy, w/ some serious diplomacy on the side. didn't have too many problems rising to the top of several guilds...

the only real problem with a mixed mage type is deciding what schools you really want to focus on, you can be quite good in a few but it's tough to master all of them.
koz-ivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2003, 06:59 PM   #8
Kakero
40th Level Warrior

well, My favourite character is Nord Adventurer. I like the nord's racial bonus and specialities. I pick adventurer because I like to assign the skills to what I will always use in the game. The skills that I put is a combination of all 3 ie fighter, mage and thief.

edit ; test sig.

[ 05-22-2003, 07:26 PM: Message edited by: Kakero ]
Kakero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2003, 07:11 PM   #9
Firestormalpha
Knight of the Rose

Zelda Champion Snake Champion
Koz-ivan what do you mean only some guilds? I've topped the charts in everything but the Temple because I have yet to get Saryoni's quests. Also I didn't really bother with Alchemy too much. I can see using it if you have a place to leave the lab equipment, and just collect ingrediants to use later. I just use Mysticism and Recovery for magic. Long swords for weapons and heavy armor despite the Imperials natural affinity for light, I went with the heavy due to the class using it as a major skill. I also have a bosmer assassin currently wearing the dark brotherhood armor(tribunal only). Awsome for starting thieves. I say thieves because I can't see a non stealth character using a full ninja jump suit. Anyways I have 100 in acrobatix, not necessary, but exceptionally fun and useful. Poor(sp?-homophones really mess me up at times. Oh, wait that's right its "Pour", right?) the money into getting enchant up. Anyways thats all I can recall off-hand. Most of my ability is purely intuition, and 99% successful. Or was it more in the 80-ish %ile?

"We are never to judge a philosophy by its abuse." - Augustine

"If you're wondering if God has a sense of humor, consider the platypus."

http://www.greaterthings.cbglades.com
Firestormalpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2003, 07:17 PM   #10
Greystone
The Magister

Aye, just make a custom character, pick the skills you think you will use most often for your major/minor skills, and have fun with the game. The only real thing with picking skills is that 1) you start with higher points in these skills, so they work more often, and 2) they will go up more easily as the game progresses. Also, keep in mind that the skills you choose are what will be responsible for your gaining of levels, so make sure they are skills you will actually use routinely (or you can simply train them up, if you have lots of cash).

Just my 2 bits worth.
Greystone
Greystone is offline   Reply With Quote