Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Wizards & Warriors Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-15-2001, 02:50 PM   #1
Gregg

I am thinking about changing one of my two Warlocks into a ranger. Any thoughts on this. Currently, I have 1 Paladin, 1 Samari, 1 Monk, 1 Ninja, & 2 Warlocks. Also, I am seeking the Zen Master quest, but am unable to find it.
Old 01-15-2001, 03:01 PM   #2
Lily the Ranger

I think so . . . of course, I am biased . . . actual the cure poison is very important and I believe there is an artifact of vine . . . and other up high (i switched too soon not realising the consequences) Most people say the bow is useless but I do love to hear that twang. You do get the scout ability which is nice!
Old 01-15-2001, 03:23 PM   #3
skywalker
Banned User

There is excellent high level spell in Vine magic called Whirling Dervish that a Ranger will learn.

At a certain point a Ranger can learn the Fletchery Trait which allows the character to make arrows when not fighting. So get some expensive Takekatsu Arrows and you're all set (+3 Hit +3 Enchant plus death).

Mark
skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2001, 03:29 PM   #4
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

Better yet, Mark: when you get the quest for the Dragon Arrow (1st Bushi Guild quest), bless it up a bit at the church and let the Ranger walk around with it for awhile. It spawns new Dragon Arrows (all blessed) pretty frequently. Divvy them out, give one to the Samurai, and sell all the others except 1. Repeat until you are rolling in gold!

Sazerac
Sazerac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2001, 03:31 PM   #5
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

One thing: Zenmaster you can't get until you've collected all the Tomes of Creation (Fire, Wind, Water, and Earth) from around the Gael Serran. Since you can't get the last tome (Earth) until Cet's pyramid, you can't go to Zenmaster until you're almost at the endgame.

Sazerac.
Sazerac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2001, 03:39 PM   #6
Lily the Ranger

Fletchery! Never had that . . . taking notes! YES, YES, YES! Thanks!
Old 01-15-2001, 03:49 PM   #7
Scronan
Zhentarim Guard

Hiya,

I think the Ranger is only good to get some skills, but as long term they kind of are lousy. Look at their skils in the manual, they are only ok fighters with not so good hit points. Fletchery is good if you have an archers. Most people didn't like the archery skill in this game. I had my vampire elf use the bow from the get go, and I turned her into a ranger to get fletchery, which is AWESOME! I enchanted some powerful arrows, and she makes them up to a stock of 50. so, just shoot and dont worry about picking them up!

Another thing is the vine spells. If you have a priest that missed some vine spells, turn them into a ranger and get those spells! same goes for the paladin class if you miss spirit spells.

I had quite a few characters go this route to get the vine spells, which are an IMPORTNAT asset. Cure poison, breath of air and such are invaluable for the game. Whirling Dervish is nice, but it has a tendency to come back at you, so be careful!

Basically put, I see no reason not to be Assassin, Zenmaster or Valkrye, or any other of the powerful classes if you can be them.
Happy Robin Hooding!

Scronan
Scronan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2001, 03:55 PM   #8
Lily the Ranger

Breath of air would have been VERY nice to have by Brimlock Roon . . . never did go back and explore Nymph Lake. HM
Old 01-15-2001, 10:37 PM   #9
Thorny

Try to have at least one party member with 6th level VINE magic. You get the following advantages:

CURE - The only way to get rid of the Wasting Disease (not counting running back to town and paying the Priests). The nasty thing about Wasting Disease is that in addition to constantly draining hit points until cured, it will occasionally subtract a point from one of your abilities - like strength or intelligence - nasty business. Cure will also cure blindness and poison.

Breath of Air - stay under water as long as you want if a party member has this spell.

Deadly Vapors - Remember the Amazoni Mantraps? This is what they were casting on you. Imagine being able to cast this on your enemies. It works just as well for you as it does for the Plant critters. (don't stand to close!!!!)
Old 01-15-2001, 10:58 PM   #10
Magnus

Which of the classes would be good to switch? I have a 10th level Barbarian I am considering but I don't know if he still has some good stuff to learn?