Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Wizards & Warriors Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-10-2001, 12:06 AM   #1
Wyvern
Ironworks Moderator

Mantraps would have to get my vote too! Primarily this is because of where and when you first encounter them - most players have not developed enough when these guys first hit you so they are extremely difficult. I wish I could have added one to my party!

Wyv
Wyvern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2001, 12:18 AM   #2
Dwarf

You can use the narrow tunnel trick against them outdoors too.There is only about one place where they can't fit through.This being the case they'll face either side wall and only turn to face you when hit by Meteors or the like.They immediately spin back to one side.I couldn't believe my luck, I took three out in one place! This also works in the Boogre caverns if you're in S'Kezer Da's room.You have to be chased into it,get Pries Kiel A in the way (hard to dodge around her, had to resurect a party member), dodge right round into the alcove, then run out into the room and face the entrance.The Boogre witch doesn't seem to have the same effect as normal Boogres.These monsters don't attack her.Instead they treat here like a wall and get stuck! I used that Firey 1hp a second spell to finish them off.That was the only way I managed to get rid of the last two and I'm not looking forwards to repeating it.
Old 01-10-2001, 12:26 AM   #3
Serath
Manshoon

I concur. They were the only opponents in the game that I couldn't go toe-to-toe with. Most frustrating for me, considering I like to think that I can hack and slash my way out of any situation.
Serath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2001, 12:53 AM   #4
Lily the Ranger

Jungle lilies in the boogre place and SAVE and reload and run and save and reload. I ended up in the bad ladies bedroom (but I had already kilt her) before the last one fell. Mean time the priestess lady is following them trying to talk to me and gets flamed so then she was mad too so I had to fight her with the last one. Next would have been the Naga and Elyssia. Cet was like click and yawn and click and yawn and switch hands and click . . .
Old 01-10-2001, 11:58 AM   #5
Serath
Manshoon

I was just wondering which monsters in the game gave you the most headaches? For me, it probably was the Amazoni Mantraps I ran into outside of Ishad N'Ha. My party was at a fairly low level, and they are the only monsters in the game that I had to employ a run 'n' gun strategy against.
Serath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2001, 03:23 PM   #6
Scronan
Zhentarim Guard

Hiya

I'd have to agree with the Jungle Lilies and Amazoni Mantraps. First time I saw them was at night outside of Shuregeon Castle, I just saw the poison cloud and then I was dead as a worgur burger.

Later in the game I just used Firestorm on them, but I killed most face to face.

For a real challenge, when you are in the third area, I encountered some wandering Jungle Lillies by the sea...fight them hand to hand for a true challenge! I won, but my characters (as strong as they were) took a beating! Its a lot of fun! I prefer to fight them hand to hand...but I'm weird.

Scronan
Scronan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2001, 05:24 PM   #7
Moni

The Amazoni Mantraps were very hard but I must say besides Elyssia (who I had to use every cell in my brain to figure out how to kill her & her friends without getting killed first), those spores in Dragon Spire were the ones that created the most challenge (so far) in the game for me. I'd throw fire spells & run away when they got too close & wait for them to round the corner after me (same technique I used on the Lilles in Boogre caves) but those lil suckers would not physically appear until they were right on top of me and by that time we were getting spewed to death! I did finally figure out that my cursor could see them long before I could & after that, it became fairly easy.
But what fun, to have monsters that do create a challenge!
I had fun with some Lillies in the Boogre caves too...ran through the teleporter rooms when they got too close to throw spells at & they followed me, taking damage...three rooms later, one arrived & died upon entering ( & I got the EP's for it, lol), the other was hurt enough that I could fight it face to face and kill it in two rounds without it being able to hurt me. It tried to bite but missed. The third had got stuck on the ramp up to where I met Pries Kil'a and I was able to toast it with no trouble whatsoever.
: )
I found that they are easier to fight up close than when they are far enough away to spit at you or breathe or whatever they do that causes so much damage...they only try to bite and so far none have made a successful strike that way. Of course I hurt them good with spells first & then ambush them as they round corners. ; )
Old 01-10-2001, 06:31 PM   #8
skywalker
Banned User

I don't think anything in the game will be as tough as a fully mature team of your own player characters.
Not to boast, but my group stood toe to toe with Erathsmedor and fought without any spells except healing and finished him. Then I restored a previous save and let him be.
I have not decided if I really need the experience from doing him in, though on many occasions he tried to fry my team. Maybe he deserves a dirtnap. Hmmmm....

Mark
skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2001, 06:39 PM   #9
Gauleiter

Not to boast, like skywalker, but my Assassin took on OAKENMIR by himself, no spells, nothing but twin daggers (well, no *offensive* spells -- he Heroic Mighted and Bloodlusted himself a zillion times [he was dishing out an average of 120 damage with /each/ dagger] and Healed himself a couple times). That would be the best challenge he ever faced, and he certainly earned those ten million exp points.

However, overall, I must concur that the Mantraps, because of the early time in the game that I was attacked, deserve the honor of being #1 bad guy.
Old 01-10-2001, 06:49 PM   #10
adam mage

so far my toughest is Amazonis
just killed my first 2 Amazoni Mantraps ... working on my third...