Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 09-07-2003, 08:10 AM   #1
Harkoliar
Jack Burton

hiya guys! another hardware question..

im kinda puzzled with the nforce video cards integrated in the motherboard. i cant seem to find out the difference with it.

for example the latest nforce to hit the market with the mobo is equivalent to what? a gforce 4? ati radeon?

Quote:
based on toms review hardware
-------------
The ASUS A7N8X-X Series has come out with another winner to offer incredible value. The A7N8X-X, using the nForce2 400 chipset, is ready for the newest Athlon XP processor on 400Mhz FSB. Other industry-leading features include AGP 8x graphics interface, DDR400 memory, onboard 6-channel audio and a whole lot more.
this is the mobo im planning to buy and its cheaper with the video card already. in terms of stability, more or less i think they have got it fixed. i just want to know its equivalent to the other video cards.

link:
http://www.cheapcomputer.com.au/products/item1257.asp

Catch me if you can..
Old 09-07-2003, 08:32 AM   #2
andrewas
Harper

The onboard graphics for Nforce2 is a Geforce 4 MX. Not a good card, it dosent have most of the advanced features of the GF4 Ti or even the GF3 series. But it will run damn near everything, so if low cost is more important to you than shiny water, go for it. The board has a AGP-8X slot on board as well, so you can replace it later.

I persoanly would go with the A7N8X deluxe, I think theres a version of that with onboard graphics as well by now. The difference between the deluxe and standard is that the deluxe has some extra interfaces, like SATA, which are little use now but open up certain upgrades later on, although nothing you couldn't also get with an expansion card.

The only stability issue I've had with mine is that it runs *hot*. (Probably cos I put it in a cheap case). Since I stuck a fan on the northbridge and reworked my case slightly, its been rock solid.
Old 09-07-2003, 08:36 AM   #3
Harkoliar
Jack Burton

im not looking for the best card.. heck i used to have a riva tnt2 32mb before gforce came out . if nforce is like gforce4mx.. that is good enough for me. thanks alot for the info.

Catch me if you can..
Old 09-07-2003, 11:24 AM   #4
Granamere
Zhentarim Guard

NForce does not equal video card. A Nforce chip on your motherboard will not give you video out put. Some motherboards with Nforce chips might also have GeForce video cards built on but that is might.

Read more here http://www.nvidia.com/page/nforce.html

With the second-generation NVIDIA nForce2 platform processors, NVIDIA has revolutionized desktop PC performance for gaming, home and home office, and business users. From enthusiasts who demand blistering performance to the mainstream users looking for a complete digital media experience to corporate users who require scalability, functionality, and versatile display capabilities—NVIDIA nForce delivers. Look for both AMD-based PCs and motherboard solutions powered by an NVIDIA nForce2 platform.

Introducing the NVIDIA nForce2 Ultra 400 and NVIDIA nForce2 400
The NVIDIA nForce2 Ultra 400 incorporates dual 400MHz DDR controllers, delivering twice the bandwidth of typical DDR chipsets, an optimized 128-bit architecture, and 400MHz frontside bus (FSB) support for unparalleled performance. The NVIDIA nForce2 400 relies on a single 64-bit memory channel to deliver 400 MHz FSB and 400MHz DDR performance to the mainstream.

Granamere