Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 09-05-2003, 11:50 PM   #1
RitingFool
The Magister

I'm a writer thinking about writing a Star Wars novel that takes place after the events of the movies (after Episode 6), to kind of continue the story. Yes, I know that many, many books have already been published, but I'd kind of like to take my own stab at it.

I would like feedback on an issue I'm struggling with: Should I totally reinvent the Star Wars universe to fit my story, or can I use material (primarily about planets & races) already developed in the movies/novels to build my universe without it being considered "stealing"? Obviously, I don't want to use material others have developed, unless it has been accepted as "canon" and is used universally in all Star Wars novels across the board. I have only read a few of the published novels, but nothing in the recent future (at least the last 5 years). My story would not take into account any events, births or deaths that appear in any already published novel - my story is not yet developed. Any events I come up with would be on my own, and not taken from any previous novel.

Are there any good web sites or published books that delve into the timeline of the movies, and give info on planets, races and prior history (prior to Episode 1)? Any assistance and feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Michael
Old 09-06-2003, 12:07 AM   #2
Reeka
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Well, I have read tone of Star Wars books. I think there are resources out there. I think I would stick with the "Star Wars" universe because that is what is familiar to fans and they are comfortable with it. I'm thinking, and I don't THINK I remember in books covering about 5 years out from Episaode 6 (if memory serves they start at about 10 years our---but I may be remembering wrong.).
<b>Order of the Holy Flame</b><br /><i>Member of Clan HADB</i><br /><b>Laughing Hyena</b><br /><i>Clan Liaison, IW Peace Keeping Force</i><br /><i>[url]\"http://www.the-silver-river.com/Forum/index.php?board=29\" target=\"_blank\">The Silver River VoiceChat!</a><br />Last Saturday of every month. <br />See the forum link for scheduling!<br /><b> </b><br /></i><br /><b>Admin and Co-Owner of [url]\"http://www.the-silver-river.com\" target=\"_blank\">The Silver River</a></b><br />[url]\"http://www.the-silver-river.com\" target=\"_blank\"></a>
Old 09-06-2003, 06:23 AM   #3
Link
Jack Burton

Here's a nice Link ( [img]tongue.gif[/img] ) and it has a 'timeline' of some sort on the left of the screen (ignore the center part);

http://www.theforce.net/timeline/

Good luck!

Goal: Beijing 2008