Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 07-05-2002, 01:52 AM   #1
lroyo

Please note that I have tried to send this as a Private Message, but your mailbox is full!

I know you must be getting sick and tired of arguments based on religion, so I can totally understand why you put out the post that you did recently.

I also know that I completely stuffed up that post, and for that I am very sorry.

Yorick sent me a private message straight afterwards, and we sorted out a lot of things. I never intended to hurt him, or anyone, and I guess I misinterpreted his intentions on more than a couple of occassions.

I'm just writing to you to express my concern that you may ban religious discussions completely. This would cause a number of members to jump ship. I certainly don't want to be responsible for this, and you should know that I will not cause you this trouble any further.

I think you do a wonderful job of running this forum, and I take a lot of enjoyment out of it. I intend to stick to the enjoyment part in future, and keep my emotions under wrap.

Avi.

Old 07-05-2002, 02:36 AM   #2
Mouse
Ironworks Moderator

Aviendha, to the best of my knowledge, we are observing a temporary moratorium, NOT a permanent ban on the discussion of religion. Think of it as a "time out" to take the heat out of what to some people had become distressing levels of vituperation.

And on a personal note, as far as I have seen, you have conducted yourself with consideration and decorum. Please do not feel unwelcome here.

Mouse
(Occasional crooner and all round friendly Scottish rodent)
Old 07-05-2002, 02:46 AM   #3
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Quote:
Originally posted by Mouse:
Aviendha, to the best of my knowledge, we are observing a temporary moratorium, NOT a permanent ban on the discussion of religion. Think of it as a "time out" to take the heat out of what to some people had become distressing levels of vituperation.
But Mouse, in that thread we weren't discussing religion. We were discussing religious discussions. Just as you are now. [img]smile.gif[/img]

[ 07-05-2002, 02:46 AM: Message edited by: Yorick ]

http://www.hughwilson.com
Old 07-05-2002, 03:41 AM   #4
Mouse
Ironworks Moderator

Yorick,(and others who may be interested) just to put the record straight, AFAIK, the original thread was closed by Ziroc as part of the moratorium. As the owner of this forum, I respect his wishes on this matter and will continue to impliment his policy until he decides to relax it.

If you really have a problem with this I suggest you contact Ziroc direct as I will not act contrary to his express policy.

Mouse
(Occasional crooner and all round friendly Scottish rodent)
Old 07-05-2002, 03:46 AM   #5
lroyo

That's cool Mouse, I just want to know what "vituperation" means!

Do they teach you words like that at pre-school over there or something? [img]graemlins/biglaugh.gif[/img]

Old 07-05-2002, 06:27 AM   #6
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Here's a suggestion: Why don't we all adopt a COMMONSENSE approach to this and just not get into discussions about religion for a week or so, eh? Surely we can survive a couple of weeks without this?

If you're at someone's house and the host says "I'd rather we not talk about religion (or politics or sex) over dinner" what do we all do? We respect the host's wishes and we don't talk about it over dinner. I would have thought this quite simple to understand. Doesn't mean you can't talk about it later on - it means you respect the wishes of the owner of the house. It's that simple.

You know what the sad thing is? I KNEW that Z's thread would eventually have to be locked by Z (which is quite embarrassing) - it was just a matter of when, which is quite disappointing, really. We have all the evidence and justification we need from the very thread where it shouldn't have happened (who started it is not important). I purposely stayed out of it because I wanted us all to learn a lesson from that.

I would hope we don't need to write a wordy legal contract on what construes a religious discussion, as we will be adopting a commonsense approach to this. Please cooperate - we are asking for a VERY SIMPLE thing, really. Religion will NOT be banned here permanently - but this is really up to all of us, not just Ziroc. [img]smile.gif[/img]

[ 07-05-2002, 06:42 AM: Message edited by: Memnoch ]

Old 07-05-2002, 01:37 PM   #7
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
His PM box is still full, NWN must have him in a deadly grasp ! Ziroc, you okay dude ?
Old 07-05-2002, 01:45 PM   #8
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Mouse, I was just pointing out that the thread was locked for talking about communication within religious discussions, and as this is doing the same thing it could well be locked too. To avoid such an occurrence, I'd advise people not to keep harping on about how bad religious discussions get or how there's a morotorium or whatever going on because THAT seems to provoke just as much anger in some, and a similar end result.

Let's not let a thread started with goodwill and peacemaking get mired down and locked by discussing a topic that will get locked.

That's what I'm saying.

Cheers. [img]smile.gif[/img]

[ 07-05-2002, 01:45 PM: Message edited by: Yorick ]

Old 07-05-2002, 01:51 PM   #9
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
Quote:
Originally posted by Yorick:
Mouse, I was just pointing out that the thread was locked for talking about communication within religious discussions, and as this is doing the same thing it could well be locked too. To avoid such an occurrence, I'd advise people not to keep harping on about how bad religious discussions get or how there's a morotorium or whatever going on because THAT seems to provoke just as much anger in some, and a similar end result.

Let's not let a thread started with goodwill and peacemaking get mired down and locked by discussing a topic that will get locked.

That's what I'm saying.

Cheers. [img]smile.gif[/img]
The master has spoken, good one Yorick !
Old 07-05-2002, 01:55 PM   #10
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Of course we could always bump up a locked topic to keep negativity in our faces.