Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 03-07-2006, 11:05 AM   #1
Callum
Symbol of Cyric

I use both eMule (P2P) and Azureus (torrent files) to download files off the internet, and I finally thought to ask here about them. The problem is this: I have an official listed speed of 512 / 256 kbps, but I haven't seen my downloads register anything much over 1 kbps for months. Often they may say they are downloading, but at 0 bps. I was never expecting to see downloads moving at 256 kbps, but less than 1? Come on! [img]tongue.gif[/img]

The uploads don't seem to have as much of a problem, frequently above 20. Which is frustrating [img]tongue.gif[/img]

This evening, looking at the help and setting for eMule, I clicked the "Test ports" button, and it told me:

"TCP connection test failed.
It was not possible, to establish a TCP connection to your eMule.
Other users will only be able to connect to you with the help of a server, resulting in a low ID for you. While eMule still works, this will give you several disadvantages. Therfore it is highly recommended to solve this problem."

In Azureus, I frequently get warning lights at the bottom saying something may be wrong with NAT or DHT... I dunno [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Is there anything I can change? Or am I stuck with it because the files I download are just crap files? [img]tongue.gif[/img]

If it helps, the ports for eMule, according to the settings page, are
TCP: 4662
UDP: 4672

For Azureus, the only port is
Incoming TCP Listen Port: 46884

My computer connects to the internet through a wireless connection that links the computer to a wireless router connected only to an adsl modem.

I have ZoneAlarm Free Edition running as my firewall, but both programs are given full access to everything, it says, and it doesn't seem to change even when I disable ZoneAlarm.

Any suggestions?
Old 03-07-2006, 11:43 AM   #2
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

Quoting the TOS,

...The administrators and moderators of the Ironworks Gaming Forum will attempt to keep all objectionable messages off this forum...

By clicking the Agree button, you agree that you will not post any messages that...violate any laws.

Asking questions about getting your P2P and torrent programs to work properly cannot be openly discussed on our website.

Are you discussing the illegal download of files or something legit?

[ 03-07-2006, 11:47 AM: Message edited by: Larry_OHF ]
Old 03-07-2006, 12:00 PM   #3
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

Acknowledging the TOS... this reminds me of the woman calmly reading a book in a fishing boat, surrounded by fishing equipment that was not in use. When the conservation officer told her he'd have to ticket her for illegal fishing because she had all the equipment, she responded that she'd have to file charges against him for rape, then... also because he had all the equipment.

Having the tools and using the tools are two different things. Using the tools legally and using them illegally are also different things. This sounds like it could be dancing right on the borderline. There are legit uses for P2P software, as well as non-legit ones.

I don't know that you'll get answers, Callum, but keep in mind where the line is... and stay on the right side, away from Choc's Claws of Feline Retribution [img]smile.gif[/img]

A quick Google came up with this Azureus support site. Interestingly, their top rule (stated right on there) is that discussion of warez sites and such is grounds for immediate banning... keep to the legit side of the house.

My [img]graemlins/twocents.gif[/img] . Available to be overruled and overridden.
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Old 03-07-2006, 12:27 PM   #4
Iron Greasel
Fzoul Chembryl

You know, just because he mentioned a p2p program, you should not automatically assume that he's doing something illegal with it.

You can probably use a chair to clobber someone to death. Which is illegal in most places I have heard of. Should we start regulating discussion concerning chairs?

Believe it or not, the technology of p2p and torrents can indeed be used legally. I have done it many times.
Old 03-07-2006, 12:55 PM   #5
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

Yeah, torrents are great to download legal stuff, there are many legit website that use it.

But emule is different. There isn't much legal on it, although I know some people that used it for legal stuff.
Old 03-07-2006, 01:12 PM   #6
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

To all the retorters:

I have to explain (I have no idea why, but it seems necessary) that I have a job to do and since I did not know what kind of files he was referring to, I asked the question at the end of my statement for him to prove to me that this conversation does not have to be locked. Did anyone notice that I did not lock it? I actually do not think anyone did...

I am well aware of the legal uses of those programs, having used them myself for such purposes...but on IW, we respect the written laws pertaining to any piracy, and suspicion of such activity forced me to post a warning that no conversations are to be had on that side of the line talked about above.

Old 03-07-2006, 01:48 PM   #7
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

My apologies, Larry. When I added my post, I hadn't seen your additional question, which changes things considerably.

I'm not overly familiar with different P2P softwares, so I don't know what they have on their networks (legit or otherwise). I happened to look up the first network, which is a torrent network; that's legit to my knowledge. I didn't look at the other... and perhaps I never shall, now [img]smile.gif[/img]

So... Larry, I'm sorry for jumping the gun. I understand fully that you have a job to do as a mod, and that the topic runs right up to the edge of what's allowed. 'Tis always better to be safe than sorry, and I appreciate you keeping an eye on it.

Thanks.
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Old 03-07-2006, 03:14 PM   #8
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

No reason to apologize, man. If you'll notice, I actually realized what my initial post sounded like and added the last line four minutes later. It occurred to me only then that there are plenty of useful and legal methods of using Torrent software. I think the eMule though is strictly forbidden, but I just "think" that.

The problem with these laws is that I cannot easily distinguish between what is okay for use and what is not. If anybody can prove in written form that either of these programs are legal...please post them so we can know for the future.
Old 03-07-2006, 04:50 PM   #9
shamrock_uk
Dracolich

Quote:
Originally posted by Larry_OHF:

The problem with these laws is that I cannot easily distinguish between what is okay for use and what is not. If anybody can prove in written form that either of these programs are legal...please post them so we can know for the future.
Sorry, I just don't have time to go hunting for detailed sources but the use of both is entirely legal and rightfully so. You can't be prosecuted for running a programme, providing it doesn't break patent laws etc. This includes eMule and other equally notorious programmes like Kazaa and eDonkey.

Certain elements within the United States have sought to make outright use illegal but that's been unsuccessful and in any case would only apply to US citizens.

Asides from the fact that sharing illegal content with either programme is..well..illegal, the only outstanding legal issue relates to the people who actually share illegal files and those that maintain torrent trackers.

Again in the US, legal moves are afoot to show that providing a tracker system that is used for illegal content is tantamount to hosting that content yourself, even when you actually have no contact with the offending data at all.
Stories like this show the Torrent response in an attempt to distance themselves legally from their users.

As a side note, the latest version of the Opera browser has integrated BitTorrent support into their latest browser version; not something a reputable company would do if its use per se was illegal.

The only people who currently have anything to fear are those that use these technologies illegally. Bittorrent certainly is a tremendous programme that plays a huge role in distributing large files with minimal impact upon hosting servers, eg for linux distribution images.

Quote:
The problem is this: I have an official listed speed of 512 / 256 kbps, but I haven't seen my downloads register anything much over 1 kbps for months. Often they may say they are downloading, but at 0 bps. I was never expecting to see downloads moving at 256 kbps, but less than 1? Come on!
Yeah, it's not great, but is unfortunately a fact of life. The reason - you're limited by the upload speed of the person who is serving the file. If they're on dialup, 1KB sounds about right.

Look for files that are served by multiple hosts to have a better chance of landing one with a nice connection speed.

Also worth double-checking the speeds with your firewall completely disabled - I forget the technical aspects, but some p2p programmes (eg gnutella) will open up a ton of connections on different ports and downgrade your priority if you're firewalled.
Old 03-07-2006, 05:16 PM   #10
T-D-C
Ironworks Moderator

I am going to assume that we are speaking about downloading legal software for the moment.

The thing to make sure is that your ADSL Router is forwarding the ports correctly to your IP address on your internal network. This could be affecting your speeds as well.

Plus there are lots of nasty people that limit their uploads and hurt the torrents in the process.