Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 12-04-2003, 11:44 PM   #1
Peytin of Rothmire
Manshoon

Can someone tell me what the two numbers mean when it comes to skills?
For instance, my cleric has Concentration 21(13) and my barbarian has Intimidate 10(11). Obviously, the higher the number the better but why two numbers?

While I'm on the subject, other than the very first level, my barbarian has only been able to take skills in Intimidate. Currently she is barb 8, fighter 2 but wasn't able to take any other skills when she leveled in fighter either.
Peytin of Rothmire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2003, 04:49 AM   #2
motub
The Magister

The number in parentheses is the original skill level based on characteristics. The number not in parentheses is the effective (actual) skill level, based on original skill level plus adjustments due to bonuses provided by feats, armor or weapons, bonuses from characteristics, etc.

Intimidate is a Barbarian class skill-- and it's the only one they get in this area, afaik. No one expects a Barbarian to be tactful, but every Barbarian is intimidating.

Diplomacy and Bluff are cross-class skills for both a Barbarian and a Fighter, meaning that both groups have to learn to be tactful, and less direct than by nature they would normally be (to Bluff someone). Their ability to learn this depends on their natural Charisma-- maybe your character's is too low (or is negatively bonused)?

Or do you mean no skills entirely? Good heavens. They should both at least be able to get further weapons skills. Which ones are you trying to get? And what are this character's statistics?

[ 12-05-2003, 04:51 AM: Message edited by: motub ]
motub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2003, 03:59 PM   #3
Bozos of Bones
Apophis

Let me guess: he has low intelligence? If you get only one point per level-up, you can only spend it on skills that cost one point, and for fighters and barbarians that's only Intimidate. If you click next before assigning the point, you get another point the next level-up, and you can assign it whereever you want. The question is: why?
Old 12-06-2003, 08:32 AM   #4
Peytin of Rothmire
Manshoon

I did go heavy on strength and constitution, at the expense of pretty much everything else. I took level 1 fighter for heavy armor.I don't really remember why I took a second level. It really hasn't helped all that much.

As far as feats, which is where the weapon profs come in, they've been fine. But as far as Intimidate goes, it really hasn't done all that much. I used it only in the beginning, as far as I know, for the traitor mage and the shopkeep. I didn't use it with Odea and the rangers.

I guess that's the fun of the game. I gave her two-weapon right in the very beginning, but can't add ambidextry 'cause her dex is only 10. The min dex is 15 for ambi so even if I had put all her ability increases into dex it would have taken a long time to get there. Oh well, next time around I guess.

Thanks for the info.
Peytin of Rothmire is offline   Reply With Quote