Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 08-04-2003, 09:53 PM   #1
yakyak
Welcomed New User

I just started playing through the game for my first time a couple days ago and quickly became stuck. I can't seem to get past Kuldahar Pass, the first group of goblins there kick my butt every time.
I have both HoW and the luremaster expansions installed along with the latest patches. The difficulty is set on HOF and my party consists of the following: 2 dwarven fighters, one doing axes and the other great swords, 3 more human fighters to dual class to druid, thief, and mage later. The last charcter is a bard and everybody is level 5. My strategy so far has been to let the two dwarves tank/run in circles while the others focus fire with ranged weapons. Once the two tanks get low on hp I either swap them out for one of the ranged attackers or I just take everybody and run. This had been working fine since there was always room to run or possiblilty of exiting the area. However, in Kuldahar Pass there is no room to run from the first group of goblins and I can't find a way to exit the area besides the exit on the far right of the map, which has even more goblins on the way.
I know this is still the very start of the game so I'm sure it will only get harder as it goes on. Any of you have any advice on getting through this part? Different fighting tactics, maybe different party make up? Thanks.
yakyak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2003, 08:16 AM   #2
Micah Foehammer
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

It's going to be tough with that group. The key to HoF is summoned monsters, more summoned monsters, and even MORE summoned monsters. With only ONE potential summoner, and NO healers or other casters - you face a MAJOR challenge.

Try exploring VERY carefully, and hope that you can lure the gobbo's of death out ONE at a time.

There is a cave just below the entrance that MIGHT provide some shelter, but IIRC, it will ALSO spawn monsters.

The best hope you have to survive, and I almost hate to recommend this, is to try resting RIGHT at the entrance to that map, hope that NO monsters interrupt your rest, and if they - reload. It's cheesey but it may get you through.

BTW, Welcome to the forums. [img]smile.gif[/img]

[ 08-05-2003, 08:16 AM: Message edited by: Micah Foehammer ]

http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3793&dateline=1187636  783
Micah Foehammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2003, 03:21 PM   #3
yakyak
Welcomed New User

Thanks for your advice, I'll try looking for that cave you mentioned. As for my party make up it is a bit hard with no casters right now, but I figure in the long run they will be better casters if they have some fighter HP and weapon masteries.

I see how summons could be very helpful in this game, I'll see how my current party works out and I might end up swaping in another caster if it seems it might help more. Thanks.
yakyak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2003, 07:50 PM   #4
Big Buffalo
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I found sending one person ( Thief ) slowly forward to get one, and only one
Victem, to see you, works very well. Once seen, run back to your party, and let them shoot the hell out of 'em, as they follow your Bait back. You may,,, and, I have, rested after fighting just one. I'm not sure there was a place in the pass to bed down.
Old 08-11-2003, 03:14 PM   #5
NobleNick
Quintesson

Welcome to the forum, yakyak! [img]graemlins/happywave.gif[/img]

I think your idea of dual-classing fighters is an excellent one, especially in HoF mode. See if you can hold out till fighter lvl 9.

Something that I have no problem with, from a roleplaying standpoint, is having a high level mage from a previous game accompany the group until you get to Kuldahar.

What's a party,
without a song?
Bards ROCK!
Party on!!
NobleNick is offline   Reply With Quote