Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 08-14-2001, 02:11 PM   #11
matt
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Quote:
Originally posted by bstubbs:
That is very good to know killermafia! So far, the speed increase has been quite dramatic using Windows 2000. I did try Baldur's Gate though with less success. It seems to crash regularly under W2K.
Has anyone got BG running successfully under W2K?
I run BG under W2k without any problems at all. I don't think it has crashed once. Just make sure you have the newest patches.

------------------
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them, One Ring to bring them all and in the Darkness bind them.
-The Lord of the Rings
matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2001, 04:19 PM   #12
Killing Spree
Mephistopheles

They got it... Windows 98 does suck for these games, slow, crashing, etc. I've gone through Windows Me, which sucked just about as bad. And now I'm on Windows 2000, YEAH! There are no conflicts as far as I can tell, I've been playing Icewind Dale and Baldur's Gate 2 for quite some time with this operating system, I haven't crashed once YET. And note I don't have the best sound system in the world either! Though my graphic capabilities are unlimited... What can I say? It IS a fairly new computer!
Killing Spree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2001, 05:47 PM   #13
Leafy
Zhentarim Guard

TheDutkanator I have been using W2K sinve the beginning. I've NEVER had a problem with ANY of the Black Isle games. NOT ONE SINGLE MINOR PROBLEM. I am using the best laptop available to the public to date,

I'm very curious as to what "the best laptop available to the public to date" is. could you indulge me with some statistics? I'm not much of a fan of 2000, but then ,i'm not as familiar with it as i am with 98. it's my understanding that most of the issues with win2000 as related to these games (and other games) are rooted in hardware issues(related to drivers and DX and such). With a laptop, everything is custom so it almost HAS to work. But still, i'd like to know what company put it together and what kind of video, sound, ram and processor. it's getting time for me to upgrade so i'm curious.

[This message has been edited by Leafy (edited 08-14-2001).]
Leafy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2001, 07:00 PM   #14
ELJockster
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I've been using win2k and playing IWD/HOW for the last 6 months with no problems. I think the main thing is to have quality parts, name brand video, sound, motherboard and memory, etc. You may have to pay a little more but it's usually worth the extra few dollars just to avoid the headaches. In my experience, larger companies seem to spend more time for testing and driver updates. Anyway, just my 2 cents.

Happy gaming!
ELJockster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2001, 06:26 PM   #15
MILAMBER
Lord Soth

I've been playing all the BG games including HOW on my Win2K box with no problems whatsoever. It has never once crashed on me. I also have been playing on the new Windows XP and it works fine there as well, but that's not surprising considering they share the same Kernell.

------------------
"The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his."
-General George Patton (1885-1945)

Member of CLAN HADB
MILAMBER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2001, 04:18 AM   #16
TheDutkanator

I'm using a Gateway Solo 9500. 20 GB Hard Drive, 8x QSI DVD ROM SDR-081, 16MB 3D Dolby Digital Sound (ESS Alegro PCI Audio), 16MB ATI Mobility M4 Display, Lucent Win 56k Modem, Intel Pentium 3 750Mhz (Celleron?) Processor, Intel BAM Ultra ATA Storage Controller, 3Com Ethernet Card, 256MB RAM, (Brand?) 3D Accelerator.

When I had this computer built for me, I told the man to use the best of everything. He assured me that every single component (hardware and software) was the best they had EVER used in a laptop before. My computer can out perform nearly every Desktop PC I've ever seen, and it's a Laptop!!

PS Using Windows ME not 2000. Still NOT ONE SINGLE CRASH!!!
------------------

Let's get'em guen!

Quote:
"I'm sorry, did I kill you?" -TheDutkanator

[This message has been edited by TheDutkanator (edited 08-18-2001).]
TheDutkanator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2001, 05:12 PM   #17
EyeOfHorus
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I run IWD, and HoW as soon as it gets here! on my 533mhz machine with tons (read 512mb) and I run windows 2000 professional. I must say, I haven't had any problems and it seems to run faster than on win98.
EyeOfHorus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2001, 03:59 PM   #18
Blade
Emerald Dragon

I am runnimg Icewind Dale & How under windows 2000 pro. I have gotten to act 4 and it hasn't locked up or crashed a single time and loding times are increadiably small.
Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2001, 02:37 PM   #19
Hesperex

I play IWD/HOW, BG/TOSC, BG2/TOB and Plancescape Torment all under win2k without any problems what so ever. I can't comment on weather it is faster or slower than win98 as I have never used win9x on this machine (and win9x isnt going to get anywhere near my machine!)
All games run perfectly smooth and I never have any performances issues but then again I do have a Tbird 1.4@1.6ghz and 768mb of memory so I wouldn't expect any performance issues

P.S Dutkanator would u care to pit that laptop of yours against my main box muwhahaha. And Yes I am an obsessed computer junkie

------------------

"The beginning of eternity.
The end of time and space.
The start of every end,
And the end of every place."