Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 12-08-2003, 08:15 AM   #1
kartetse
The Magister

Okay, I've warned of spoilers.

In Lonelywood, when you come out of the bar, later on in the game (for me just before I want to go to ToTL with characters who, for some reason aren't exped up enough - lvl 12-16), You get this real Western style draw in the main street scene and you have to kick some bad-ass party. Don't you agree that is the toughest in the game? Burial Isle was a walk in the park compared to this! OK, ToTL lies ahead so I'll check in again afterwards. Had to resurrect two members of my party! And there was no way around it that I could see!

[img]graemlins/offtopic.gif[/img]
BTW. How do I get my characters up to lvl 18+ before ToTL if they're not there yet? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

kartetse

---------------------
do da do, kick da goo and stay outta da zoo...
kartetse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2003, 09:27 AM   #2
Lymond
Manshoon

kartetse,

That's definitely a difficult battle, but that one wasn't the worst for me. I think the timing of the development of your party relative to when you hit certain battles makes them more or less difficult. There are some that were very difficult the first time I played that I breezed through when I returned with a different party.

If you have a save that's prior to that battle, it's fun to play it again and give up the innkeeper this time.

One way to get experience is to go back into the burial isle. Some of the monsters respawn. If that area wasn't overly difficult for you, you can also increase the difficulty.

Lymond
Old 12-08-2003, 10:45 AM   #3
pritchke
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

It is a very difficult battle and my first time through the game I thought it was one of the toughest. But the second time through you usually know most of that parties tricks and who to target first, and with what spells to use on them so the battle is no longer as tough.

[ 12-09-2003, 01:27 PM: Message edited by: pritchke ]
pritchke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2003, 12:17 PM   #4
Roboghost
Manshoon

Try Burial Isle in Heart of Fury (HoF) mode. I guarantee you won't make it out alive if you try to clean the whole area out a once.

I had to do it section by section with characters that were past level 20...yet...I cleaned the clock of those bad boys at the OK Corral!

I always attack the priest/mages with a vengeance first and worry about their body guards second (my priests concentrate on wound healing once the spell shooters are bleeding out their last drops of blood on the ground).

How? Just summon your best near the priest/mage and take you're fighters over the other priest/mage. If you're fighter is about to bite it...just cast Heal on them. It helps to have two priests with Heal in their holsters!

My 0.02 cents.
Roboghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2003, 01:51 PM   #5
NobleNick
Quintesson

(spoilers below)

~
~
~
~
~
~

kartetse,

It must be party mix and/or party and/or player experience. I found all of the following battles tougher (for my party's strength at the time) than the one you mentioned:

Last big battle in orc cave in Prologue;
Last big battle before climbing stairs to Kresselack's tomb;
Freeing Sister (Mother?) Whats_her_face from the sacrificial room (about DE 3);
The "Battle of the Gazongas" on last level of DE;
Initial progress through entry room of LDD;
Entry at top of Maiden Imaldia's Fire room;
Maiden Imaldia;
Malavon;
Clearing last room to get to RBP's chamber
RBP;
Big B;
Initial encounter on BI;
Several encounters in barrows on BI;
Big I;
Several battles in TotLM (So far: I'm not even to the main castle, yet!)

Maybe the ease of the Lonelywood battle has something to do with the fact that one of the enemy fighters, for some strange reason, took a hike to go do in his own party's junior mage. (Did I get in a lucky hit with a confusion weapon?)

--------------------
What's a party,
without a song?
Bards ROCK!
Party On!!

[ 12-11-2003, 09:58 AM: Message edited by: NobleNick ]
NobleNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2003, 04:00 PM   #6
ZFR
Legion Symbol

In this fight I had my bard and mage cast horrid wilting simultaneously soon as it started... was amazing, just make sure you dont hit your party members.

And btw, do check out what happens when you give the owner up... Its too funny
Old 12-11-2003, 09:55 AM   #7
NobleNick
Quintesson

ZFR,

Agreed: Giving up the innkeeper is well worth the show (but not worth the expo you lose by doing so) !

This might be another reason why I felt this battle was easy: I mistakenly did give him up the first time, so was prepared (rested, buffed, had a plan, etc.) when I first tried this fight for score.

--------------------
What's a party,
without a song?
Bards ROCK!
Party On!!
NobleNick is offline   Reply With Quote