Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 07-28-2006, 10:09 AM   #1
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/07/27/nur....ap/index.html

Here is the most recent link to a debate that has been going on in the U.S. for a while. I have an interest in it because my wife works for the government at WIC, and she teaches the breastfeeding clinic sometimes because she is an advocate for the awareness of the potentially good aspect of a mother not being ashamed to be in public with her baby and breastfeed.

The US, unlike any other nation on earth, has a negative outlook to doing such things in public. In the linked article, you'll see that some mothers of young children even condemn the act of public feeding.

The US will have to get used to it if they want to continue to allow Hispanics to pour into the country because I have been to Mexico and seen how freely they feed in public with nobody batting an eye against it. Those same people do so here too, much to the horror of native-born US citizens.

Once upon a time, I thought just as a lot of people did...that it was inappropriate. But now that I have children of my own and an understanding that the US is the worst place on earth for such a thing...it makes me embarrassed that we are not more aware of what is really important and that our laws sometimes have the craziest reasoning I have ever seen.

What do all of you think of this? Will we ever be "okay" with the idea?

[ 07-28-2006, 10:11 AM: Message edited by: Larry_OHF ]
Old 07-28-2006, 10:21 AM   #2
pritchke
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

Arrow

I am perfectly OK with it mind you it can be done with some taste. For example many use a blanket or towel so they don't expose themselves to much, as well many pump and store there breastfeed bottles for later when thay out (I enjoyed watching my wife pump milk). I mean I have walked in to restaurants before and some woman just flops out her tit and sticks her baby on it, I mean it would be nice that they used a blanket but if they forgot the blanket at home and the baby is hungry than I guesss it is better that the baby is fed. I think you will get over it when the generation of old farts in control have passed on or are old, feeble and no longer in control, seems to me thay all got to much stimulation from the hippie years and are trying to protect there children from it, so yes it will become accepted.

[ 07-28-2006, 10:30 AM: Message edited by: pritchke ]
pritchke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 10:35 AM   #3
shamrock_uk
Dracolich

Got to say that I don't like it. Not really sure why, I just find it a bit gross when its in public, in the same way I would find it gross if someone urinated into a glass in public. Biological functions should be kept in private I think.

There are strong laws in the UK protecting the right of women to publicly breastfeed, I think its illegal to disciminate against a breastfeeding woman now - you can't ask them to leave your restaurant for example.

[ 07-28-2006, 10:36 AM: Message edited by: shamrock_uk ]
shamrock_uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 05:38 PM   #4
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

Quote:
The US, unlike any other nation on earth, has a negative outlook to doing such things in public.
Um... yeah, right. I'm sure there are certain countries where women can't show their hair in public -- those places might not take kindly to whippin out the tit and throwing it in Jr.'s mewling little mouth.

I'm against it. It's bad form. I don't fart, scratch my nuts, or whip it out and pee in public. Keep it tucked in your shirt unless you've got enough to share. It's only polite.
Old 07-28-2006, 06:15 PM   #5
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

I should have said, "Free nation", but I see your point.

Old 07-28-2006, 07:26 PM   #6
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

Breastfeeding is far from urinating, or farting. Those are your body letting out wastes, and I can see how seeing or smelling someone else's is not pleasant, but what's so wrong with milk? You drink it every days, you've drank it all your life.

I think most people are really against it because they're scared of seeing a naked breast. It always goes "I don't mind if you do it at home, but don't do it in public." If they were really against the breastfeeding part they wouldn't want you to do it at all.
Old 07-28-2006, 07:33 PM   #7
ZFR
Legion Symbol

Quote:
Originally posted by Luvian:
what's so wrong with milk? You drink it every days, you've drank it all your life.

Would you drink another woman's milk? If so I admire your bravery, because I wouldn't. And don't tell me I did is as a baby. I still find it gross to do it now.

Quote:

If they were really against the breastfeeding part they wouldn't want you to do it at all.
I fail to see your logic here. I am against you pissing in public, but that does mean I "wouldn't want you to do it at all."
Old 07-28-2006, 08:19 PM   #8
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

What's wrong with a woman's milk, and how is drinking milk from a cow, an animal, any better?

Cows aren't exactly the cleanest animal. I've been to milk farms, and they actually have a ditch behind the cow for their excrements. When they pee all over the place, it's actually bigger than what you could do with a water hose. When they defecate it just fall down and splash, it's so big I don't even know how to describe it. You could probably fill out a bag full with it all. You walk in there and that's all you see. Some are even cacked in mud (I HOPE it's mud). And the smell in there, you can smell it from outside, it's so strong, you walk in there 5 minutes and you're going to stink for the day.

And yet you think seeing a woman's breast letting out some milk is gross...
Old 07-28-2006, 08:36 PM   #9
ZFR
Legion Symbol

Quote:
and how is drinking milk from a cow, an animal, any better?
honestly I don't know.
I don't try and figure out the reason why some things I find gross and some not. I'm just sying that I do. quoting shamrock_uk:
Quote:
Not really sure why, I just find it a bit gross when its in public
And like pritchke said, I wouldn't mind if it is done with some taste. But not in a restaurant in front of me when I'm eating.

And answer my question because you didn't. Would you drink a strange woman's milk? As opposed to a cow's. Not trying to start an argument here just want to show we find some things gross and can't help it. and it's no use explaining to me how the things I find gross are 'natural'. I still find them gross.
Old 07-28-2006, 10:49 PM   #10
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
It's every woman's godgiven right to put her titty in my mouth whenever she feels the need to do so. I don't understand why this is even an issue.