Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 04-20-2004, 03:49 PM   #1
Sparhawk
Quintesson

A new case in Denmark....

Disney licensed a product from "find nemo" that was filled with damaging chemicals from the plastic material.
Now Disney wont acknowlegde resposobility and brushes off the comsumershows that complain.
Think of this...the product from "Find Nemo" a little turtle contained 27% of these chemicals and ONLY 0.05 % is allowed!!!

I foresee a lawsuit...in 20 years when babies are grown and find themselves incapable of having kids
"Between the years when the oceans drank Atlantis and the rise of the sons of Arius. There was an age undreamed of, when shining kingdoms lay spread across the world. Hither came Conan, the cimmarian, sword in hand. It is I, his chronicler who knows well his saga. Now let me tell you of the days of high adventure!"

"Unleash the Casey!"

"Make no mistake, should you choose to test my resolve in this matter, you will be looking at an outcome that will have a finality, that is beyound your comprehension. And you will not counting the days or the months or the years, but milleniums in a place with no doors!"
Sparhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2004, 04:48 PM   #2
Sir Taliesin
Silver Dragon

I think I know what chemical your talking about. Just can't think of it's name. If it's what I think it is, it's used to soften the plastic such toys are made of. Last I heard it's quite legal to use here in the US.
Old 04-20-2004, 06:49 PM   #3
Sparhawk
Quintesson

Thats the on Yup...but according to danish and EU rules they´re not...and Disney is contractly bound to obey the soverign nations laws...the products have been removed from stores in Denmark now

I think the name was thalsat
"Between the years when the oceans drank Atlantis and the rise of the sons of Arius. There was an age undreamed of, when shining kingdoms lay spread across the world. Hither came Conan, the cimmarian, sword in hand. It is I, his chronicler who knows well his saga. Now let me tell you of the days of high adventure!"

"Unleash the Casey!"

"Make no mistake, should you choose to test my resolve in this matter, you will be looking at an outcome that will have a finality, that is beyound your comprehension. And you will not counting the days or the months or the years, but milleniums in a place with no doors!"
Sparhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2004, 01:26 AM   #4
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

Here's my issue re the international aspect of this thing. If something is dangerous, it's as dangerous to us as it is to Europeans. I'd like to know more about the product -- either it had not ought be illegal there or it ought be illegal everywhere (at least in the 1st World -- I admit the 3rd World may have developmental issues to catch up on).

I wish there was some international normalization of these rules. Sigh.... maybe in time, maybe by the end of my time, we'll see this.
Old 04-21-2004, 04:49 AM   #5
Skunk
Banned User

Here's the Greenpeace report on Disney's clothing products:
http://www.greenpeace.se/files/2500-2599/file_2554.pdf
Skunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2004, 04:02 PM   #6
General Nosaj
Zhentarim Guard

See what capitalisation does. Cutting the cost at the expense of peoples health.
Old 04-22-2004, 07:53 AM   #7
WillowIX
Apophis

AFAIK there is no proof that phtalates has caused harm to humans. It does not accumulate in the body and it degrades rapidly. This of course depends on with phtalate is being used and the level of exposure.

Timber, I couldn't agree more! EU might be stingy about their allowed levels of chemicals to be used. However, these levels more often prove to be right thatn wrong. Not and answer I know. I believe you can find the information if you do some digging, avoiding most of the US industrial funded sites that is.
Old 04-22-2004, 08:31 AM   #8
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

I find it odd that they did not check the composition of the material being bought befoer buying it. I mean...if Disney lied on the paperwork and said it did not have the stuf in it, and it was found out oversees, then Disney cannot legally get out of that written lie that is quoted on paper...but if the buyers did not even ask in the first place, then U.S. laws are all they needed to sell the product. Right?
Larry_OHF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2004, 09:40 AM   #9
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

It would be determined by EU and the country's law, Larry, which I won't speculate on. However, if it were in the US, the original manufacturer would be on the hook. A retailer cannot be expected to inspect or test the composition of everything it buys for resale.

However, it some instances, they'd both be on the hook. Let's say a product contained a hazardous material listed by the EPA or OSHA. If the retailer discovered it could not sale the item and then just tossed them out, without treating them as special waste, it would have created its own, separate, problem.
Old 04-22-2004, 10:44 AM   #10
Barry the Sprout
White Dragon

Quote:
Originally posted by Skunk:
Here's the Greenpeace report on Disney's clothing products:
http://www.greenpeace.se/files/2500-2599/file_2554.pdf
And here's No Sweat's report on the conditions they produce their clothes in:

http://www.nosweat.org.uk/sections.p...ticle&artid=49

They're one of the most ruthless exploiters of Sweatshop labour working today.
[img]\"http://img1.ranchoweb.com/images/sproutman/certwist.gif\" alt=\" - \" /><br /><br /><i>\"And the angels all pallid and wan,<br />Uprising, unveiling, affirm,<br />That the play is the tragedy, man,<br />And its hero the Conquerer Worm.\"</i><br /> - Edgar Allan Poe
Barry the Sprout is offline   Reply With Quote