Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 06-25-2001, 11:42 AM   #1
Gil-Galad
The Magister

1) Is there any way to get into the Planar Sphere without that imbecile, incompetent, dull, no-good-to-your-buttkicking-eeevil-party Valygar? I am playing mage, so I need to do the quest, but I would much rather have Edwyn(ia) in my party than wasting XP on Valygar. Please feel free to discuss Valygar in your answers, I want to know what good he is (if, indeed, he is any...).
My evil party:
Yale - Swashbuckler (10) duallled to mage (4)
Korgan
Anomen
Jan
Viconia
Valygar/Edwyn

Any good ideas for a replacement for Anomen?

2) In my good aligned game, I have gone back to the underdark to clear the area, but now I lost the way out!!!! Where in the nine hells did I get in??? Pretty stupid, I know, I know....
Old 06-25-2001, 11:48 AM   #2
Gorgasim
Dungeon Master

sure...kill him then get his body
Old 06-25-2001, 11:57 AM   #3
Vampire

The Planar Sphere will seem hard but it really isn't!!!
Honest!
You get a nice golem that helps you and the hardest battle is just against a demon.
The final golems can be avoided easily!
Very easy.
Just have Valygar...he is VERY RUBBISH but once you get going you'll forget!
Not that many melee battles, spells help way more!
Chuck out this no good idiot afterwards and pick up your original party member.
it's not that bad.

spoilers...

1/ Kill stupid Halflings for very good stuff
2/ Pick up golem bits and coal as you go along
3/ kill 3 fire elementals.
4/ kill beholder...correction golem kill beholder, you watch and laugh
5/ kill image of mage
6/ kill Tolgerias + Mage (hardest battle)
7/ kill Ice or Fire animals
8/ kill a demon
9/ put demon heart in the machine.
10/ YOU HAVE THE SPHERE
Old 06-25-2001, 12:01 PM   #4
Gorgasim
Dungeon Master

Spoiler

The exit to the underdark is in the Kuo-Tao dungeon. (I think thats what they're called)

Go up to where the duerger are....just south of the bridge you'll see a screen exit area.(mouse goes to that little wheel thing) It can be kind of hard to find sometimes. Just go in there then you'll see the exit. Theres some beholders there too and to the right you can get the girdle of frost giant str for the crom faeyr
Old 06-25-2001, 12:13 PM   #5
Entreri
Manshoon

I have to say that you are righ about Valygard, I was fighting demons in the sphere quest and out of nowhere he questionning me about magic!! Damn it ! this is not the time for that ! That ranger kit is dull and useless. Wow, a ranger that have 3 mage spells and can backstab but at a very slow rate. A dual/multi thief/mage will stay far more stronger than him.

Like he said, Kill him and take his body as a key. The only real good ranger kit will be the archer. It is ike a kensei with missiles.

------------------

Maybe it's because I hate drows more than I hate Humans - Jarlaxle to Entreri
Old 06-25-2001, 06:46 PM   #6
Willard
Fzoul Chembryl

I think Vaygar's cool. Double-wielding his katana and celestial fury or pixie prick, he is pretty powerful ( even though his backstab sucks).
Old 06-25-2001, 07:58 PM   #7
JR Jansen
Drizzt Do'Urden

You could replace Anomen with Jaheira or Cernd. You have no druid in your party so it seems to me that you may want one of them. And because they are true neutral they can go with an evil party aswell.

JR

Damned i lost cousin Jan's techno gloves
Old 07-10-2001, 02:40 PM   #8
Sir Jaren Tor
Dungeon Master

you can just walk up to the sphere door, open it w/ him in your party then kick him out and pick up the other person. Just make sure you told the other person to wait outside the sphere so you dont have a lot of walking. If you give valygar the gauntlets of ogre power, his str will make him better. I tried him once and used spears, mostly because +3 spears are easy to get once you whack the ppl in the gaurded compound.

------------------
Awww geez, not another chaotic neutral? Where do these people come from anyway?
Old 07-10-2001, 03:02 PM   #9
Strider132
Elite Waterdeep Guard

valygar is an sob because he's a stalker not an archer, and a human not an elf (an elvcen archer could have been the best npc in the game). but, give him a good bow, some nice firepower (fire arrows, +2 arrows, etc) along with the bracers of archery (or weapons expertise) and you have yourself one great character, i wouldnt kill him, just lead him to the planar sphere and dump him..... mainly cos you lose rep, your better off killing tolgeries in my opinion (if only because he's a puff, never doin his own deeds) and then you can have valygar if you need him...

------------------
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
deep roots are not reached by the frost.
From the ashes a fire shall be woken,a light from the shadows shall spring;
renewed shall be the blade that was broken,
the crownless shall again be king.
Old 07-10-2001, 03:55 PM   #10
Dramnek_Ulk

when i played the game, valygars haste spell didnt even work, its icon didnt come up. He has a good katana which can hurt through stoneskin with its bleeeing damage. but rather rubbish compared to minsc the other ranger. if you got vicionia and you talk to oriona you get a really funny conversation though...

Ah! You are Lord Valygar Corthala, are you not? I have seen you before, but we have never had the pleasure of meeting personally!

My family has no claim to a noble title anymore, my lady. As such, I am sure you would have no interest in someone such as I, especially with my family's reputation.

Nonsense. I'm always willing to make room for someone of your... physique. And piffle on your reputation, it's the man that counts... and you seem quite a man to me.

Really? Than it is almost a pity that I am too busy at the moment. Perhaps... another time

Beware, noble one. It is my understanding that our ranger friend has no love for females. Ghouls, perhaps, but not females. I was rather considering coloring his leathers pink.

Shut up, Viconia, or I swear I'll -- !!

Do it! Show me, Valygar, that you are indeed a man! Show me that you have what it takes to hold a female's attention!

As you wish, drow bitch!!

------------------
These sweet and gracious monkey balls,
Served on plates and sold from stalls,
Bring madness to these hallowed halls
Of urban academe.

Huzzaks for chocolate monkey balls!
We'll eat them 'til the ceiling falls,
'Til Time, herself, tears down these walls
Of urban academe.

So buy yourself a monkey ball,
Savour it and then stand tall,