Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 09-29-2002, 10:01 PM   #1
Peytin of Rothmire
Manshoon

One of the things I enjoyed about BGII was I could play a single player game(with the in-game npc's) and a multi-player game(with my own party) at the same time, without my saved games clashing. But I can't seem to do that in IWD.

If I do an important save, like before travelling to a new area or before a big fight, I'm fine. BUT I'm a big fan of the "Q" shortcut for my Quicksaves while I'm playing through an area and I found(much to my dismay the first time around) that the Quicksave and Autosaves overwrite, no matter if it's multiplay or single. Any one found a way around this that still allows you to use the Quicksave(you know, every few trolls or so...)?

Thanks.
Peytin of Rothmire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2002, 10:54 AM   #2
Lord Brass
Emerald Dragon

Not as far as I know. Sorry about that. I don't think you can change the parameters in the Icewind.ini.

No you can't, as I've just checked. It was just a thought. I'm not sure where you'd even begin to look.
Old 09-30-2002, 07:08 PM   #3
Peytin of Rothmire
Manshoon

Oh well, thanks anyway Lord Brass.
Old 09-30-2002, 07:19 PM   #4
Seraph
Quintesson

Quote:
One of the things I enjoyed about BGII was I could play a single player game(with the in-game npc's) and a multi-player game(with my own party) at the same time.
You'll be playing with your own party in both a single and multi-player game. So what exactly is the point of doing this in IWD?
Seraph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2002, 07:54 PM   #5
Peytin of Rothmire
Manshoon

Hi Seraph.

When I played BGII I would use the npc party as my "dummy" party, generally screwing things up pretty often, then doing things the way I really wanted with my multiplay party.

On my first trip through the Dale I was about half way with my goodie-two-shoes party, paladin and all, when I thought maybe I'll try an evil party of four(the good guys were a full party). I also wanted to try a few classes that I didn't have in the other party. So I started a multiplay game, thinking they would save to a different folder like BG. Everything was fine through Easthaven, until I did my first quicksave. When I went back to start the good party that was much further along, imagine my surprise!!! Fortunately I had a few recent other saves and didn't have to backtrack too much. In the end, I just finished out my good party, then started over with my four evil girls.
Old 10-01-2002, 07:40 AM   #6
Keraptisdm
Elminster

I have several different "Parties" that are currently trolling through the Spine of the World. Natually the Quick Save and Auto Save get written over, but I just make many, repeat, many normal saves.
It looks like this in my saved game folder:
Party1 DE 1a
Party1 DE 1b, LL2 (Dragons Eye 1b, Lower Level2)
Party2 VOS 1c, Krestomb
Party5 SH 1b, Tower1

Then I just load the party that I want to play at any given moment. And about twice a year I clean out the folder, and delete lots of old saves that I no longer need. I have a 40GB hard drive, so space is not a problem for me.

Good Luck.
Keraptisdm is offline   Reply With Quote