Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 03-30-2004, 02:20 AM   #1
theGrimm
Manshoon

Minor Spoilers below
On the one occasion, admittedly when I was quite new to the game, I went to the underdark early, and ended up quitting the game because my chars weren't experienced enough to survive the underdark. (I think it was the demon in the pit...I had nothing to hurt him with)

Since then I've always just about cleared every quest available before going to the underdark. I'd like to try an early run again, to pick up Imoen, but I need some tips. Plus, it'll be fun having to strategise to beat difficult opponents.

What sort of equipment and levels should I have in order to do the underdark, and also avoid skipping quests due to lack of ability?

(My party will be fighter/mage, imoen, kelsey, jaheira, viconia and anomen)

Thanks, bye...
theGrimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2004, 02:45 AM   #2
Illumina Drathiran'ar
Apophis

5 Card Draw Champion
Everyone should be able to cast level six spells or higher... Lower Resistance, Bolt of Glory, and Holy Smite take that thing out faster than Bahamut's sneezes travel. The rest of it isn't terribly difficult... If you have no moral qualms towards cheese, I suggest you also pick up the Cheese Wedge... er, the Shield of Balduran. Also make sure you have lots of gold... There are several items that you'll want to pick up during your stay. The Rod of Smiting comes to mind, as do scrolls.
Remember, you only need to defeat one powerful foe for Ardulace. You can come back and clear out the other tunnels when you're stronger.

http://xkcd.com/386/
http://www.xkcd.com/406/

My heart is like my coffee. Black, bitter, icy, and with a straw.
Illumina Drathiran'ar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2004, 04:15 AM   #3
theGrimm
Manshoon

Oh, I forgot about that...I can return to the underdark afterwards! Cool.
Old 03-30-2004, 09:03 AM   #4
beak316
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Spoiler request: - where is the Shield of Balduran?
beak316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2004, 09:10 AM   #5
theGrimm
Manshoon

That isn't really a spoiler...you can buy it at the adventurers mart. Ahem, provided you have ToB or the Bonus Merchants.

I'd really rather avoid that...played with it once, and it turns the beholders into a joke. I managed thebeholder lair under the temple district without it, I am sure I can again. Enough summons are all you really need...And "Emotion" works well, too, from a distance. Would you believe?
Old 03-30-2004, 09:49 AM   #6
teardropmina
Drizzt Do'Urden

Quote:
Originally posted by theGrimm:
Enough summons are all you really need...
which version of Beholder were you fighting?
I recall long time ago people talked about Fire Elementals and Skeleton Warriors could fight Beholders for them; well, the updated Beholders (not even the Tactics version which is more difficult) however have almost inifinit death spells, which means that no SoA level summons can help you in a Beholder fight (fight Gauths yes, but not Beholders).
Old 03-30-2004, 10:43 AM   #7
theGrimm
Manshoon

Hmmmm, i'm not sure...I more or less sure I've downloaded all the patches and fixpacks and loaded them in the right order. I've never had a beholder cast more than one death spell. I definitely don't have any mods, though.

However, Gate is a SoA spell, and gated creatures are immune to death spell, so there ARE SoA summons capable of killing beholders beholders with lots of death spells. I think...

Ah, well...
Old 03-30-2004, 01:27 PM   #8
teardropmina
Drizzt Do'Urden

oops, forget about gated ones(I rarely if ever call them over [img]tongue.gif[/img] ), but can they withstand those gas bags' firepower? if yes, then that definitely can help a lot.
Old 03-30-2004, 01:48 PM   #9
Illumina Drathiran'ar
Apophis

5 Card Draw Champion
I doubt it... Beholders are *not* supposed to have uncanny aim with so many rays in such a short period... And they can resist Death Spell, fine, but if they get nailed with Disintegrate, it's curtains. And forget about using Death Ward... Their antimagic rays take care of that right quick. They're astoundingly frustrating without lots and lots and lots of summons.

http://xkcd.com/386/
http://www.xkcd.com/406/

My heart is like my coffee. Black, bitter, icy, and with a straw.
Illumina Drathiran'ar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2004, 07:20 PM   #10
SixOfSpades
Dracolisk

Rushing to Spellhold as quickly as possible is quite doable, provided that

A) You packed a Rod of Resurrection in your bags, and/or have at least 2 party members who can cast Raise Dead.

B) You're familiar enough with the game to avoid the areas that will immediately destroy low-level parties: The Southern Tunnels, the Eastern Tunnels, and the little area just north of the spot where you first enter the Underdark. (Oh, and the Dark Cave if you turn its inhabitant Hostile.)

C) You know which required (or almost-required) fights are going to be a challenge: The Balor, the party of adventurers that includes Boz and N'ashtar, and the "Rescue Phaere from the Illithids" battle.

D) You know what will be required to win those fights, and have made some preparations accordingly.

As a matter of fact, you *did* have weapons capable of hitting the Balor: All you need is something of +3 enchantment. There's a Staff+3 and a Spear+3 in Spellhold, and the Drow (whom you must walk right past before you get to the Balor) carry Flails and Long Swords+3. Every single class can use at least 1 of those.